Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Bunny, if long-term reliability and repair costs are the issue, VW/Audi aint the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Bunny, if long-term reliability and repair costs are the issue, VW/Audi aint the answer.
    That's been my concern for a while - especially BMW/Audi, but with VW as well.

Whatever happened to German manufacturing in the past decade and a half?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Yeah, I've heard. So maybe the Honda HRV. That's a nice package. But Honda has oil consumption issues too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

Sind die Alltracks nicht in Mexiko?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, I've heard. So maybe the Honda HRV. That's a nice package. But Honda has oil consumption issues too.

Mazda CX3?

That's been my concern for a while - especially BMW/Audi, but VW as well.

... Thom
    Anecdotally it’s all going to hell.
    Statistically though, nothings changed.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

We have over 13,000 miles on our Alltrack. It is THE BEST snow car I have ever owned, that is after having 16 Subarus. HERE is my Long Term Test.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Honda makes nice cars but Mazda CX-3 and CX-5 AWD system kicks ass on Honda AWD. C&D likes Mazda AWD system better than others. We very much like our CX-5, bought it used with 20K miles, 50K on it now, no problems, zero oil use, although time will tell re long-term reliability, great handling, excellent snow/ice performance, lots of car for the money, very fun to drive.

I'm sure the Mazda CX-series are great cars, but they're ass ugly.

IMHO, of course.

We looked at the CX, and in fact went into the test drive with high hopes from all of the accolades, we almost expected an entry level Japanese Macan...we just didn't find that. The thing that seperated the Alltrack from everything else was the teutonic feel and the seats, especially the passenger one. Most...err all of the Asian cars in this range had awful passenger seats with limited adjustments, especially on the seat bottom.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Enough with Subaru.
    Subaru brake technicians around the nation are celebrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Subaru's aren't perfect (I've replaced the shortblock in mine and the headgaskets a couple times and even with that at 215k I have to add a quart of oil every 3000k) but my car is 15+ years old and everything still works, the ac still blows cold, I drove it on 3-3000 mile trips in the last 9 months with no issues other than the 3 quarts of oil it sucked up - I'm tickled since the last shortblock required a fill at the halfway point but now I can make it back home before the add. No little problems or inherent defects on most of them other than the piston ring issues and HG. MLS gaskets that are retrofitted to pre 2010 cars have pretty much fixed the HG issues. I bought it brand new and it has never been towed. Always makes it home. Fuck yeah I'd buy another Subaru.

Too bad they don't make an Outback with the stick for the TGR crowd.

The Alltrack looks sweet and I find myself envious of those that own them. Too small though for my 15 year old to fit in the backseat without bitching and moaning the whole time. But a six speed and sexy. I don't know if I could make it work for me but keeping my eye on the depreciation. Might be a great car to buy used three years old for 1/2 off. Or not. Depending on how they run.

Benny go read some VW forums for a while. Search VW lemons. If that doesn't deter you I want you to buy one just to hear you bitch and moan about every little German engineered gremlin that comes up. You won't pretend it is perfect even if it isn't. Your Subaru might burn some oil past the rings and force your gloved hands to pop the hood to check the dipstick but I'll bet the windows always work on that piece of shit.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-22-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Why isn't the Toyota Venza more popular on TGR? AWD wagon, and should be way more reliable than any VW/Audi or Subaru.

They're ugly, but is there any other reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

They're discontinued?

2018 Chevy Equinox AWD 1.6L Diesel. Decent GM 6 speed automatic. The real selling point is 590 miles of range on one tank! Only 29 cubic feet behind the rear seat though and my wife laughed and then looked at me with the "you're not serious right?" when I mentioned it as a vehicle on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    They're discontinued?
    I didn't know that. Well, other than that little detail... what's wrong with them?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I didn't know that. Well, other than that little detail... what's wrong with them?
    Actually nothing. They're a V6 Camry based Outback copy. So...more reliable, faster, etc. I suggested one in an "other than Outback" thread not long ago. This place loves Tacos and Outbacks for good reason, practical and cheap. But I can't go there. They both drive like shit, and I like to drive.

Fuck, we have a beat to shit 2005 Honda Odyssey that drives a shit ton better than my MIL's 2016 Outback. You have to fucking plan a month in advance to pass anyone in that stupid Outback. Forget it if you're actually going uphill, (like to ski, yaknow). The Odyssey is 265 HP, and holds 8 people and 2 dogs. We love it.

The best ski car is a Toyota AWD Sienna. Holds you and 6 of your favorite powder day friends in toasty put-your-boots-on-inside-the-car comfort.

But not manly.

The VW awd system seems a lot like Honda's not-really-awd system. No power to the rear wheels till after you already neaded it.
    I'm guessing Toyota's is a similar idea.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Haldex is not like the Honda system at all, but you have a point. That said, the most recent Haldex engages in less than 1/4 of a tire rotation. Like... when you need it.

Cool
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Venza's are big on the outside, tiny on the inside. Awful visability out the back too.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Here's a thread on the Mk7 reliability.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-issues-so-far

Mazda has a lame dealer network. Bad around me.

Yup ... last time I had to think about head gaskets was when I was a young-un ... back in the day when I owned a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe ... oil in the water, water in the oil and all that.

It's going to be decision time in the next 2-5K miles - whether the Subbie goes under head gasket surgery for the price of about 8 car payments, or is traded in.

... Thom
    Get the HG done, if it's the cost of 8 new car payments versus 60 months of car payments, you're still better off.
    Last edited by johnnyg82; 09-22-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Assumption: your 2008 is paid off
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Get the HG done, if it's the cost of 8 new car payments versus 60 months of car payments, you're still better off.
    Thanks. That's what I concluded overnight after talking myself down off the ledge.

Car payments suck, and only when I lose confidence in a car's reliability for long trips, do I end up caving in and buying.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music