Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Are the non Altrack AWD Golf wagons any cheaper? Besides the small lift the only real difference is a few suspension and brake bits.

That and you can't get the sweet brown seats.

Might be worth looking into for a cheaper option.

If you can find one. They didn't sell well. Most wagons didn't sell well that is why they are gone now. Lol

78K on my 17 S . As far as the water pump. Dealer said mine was leaking a year back. No drop in coolant but I am keeping an eye on it. They quoted like $2K to replace it.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Are the non Altrack AWD Golf wagons any cheaper? Besides the small lift the only real difference is a few suspension and brake bits.

That and you can't get the sweet brown seats.

Might be worth looking into for a cheaper option.
    The golf AWD I looked at had a 1.4l turbo. I got 19 Alltrack s for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

All the 4-Motion Golfs have the 1.8T, only the FWD models got the smaller motor.

Alltrack has bigger tire diameter. 6 spd Manual alltrack has more powerful engine tune than the 5 spd awd SW.

and had clutch from the R, nice if you chip it.

Flexon, sounds like your dealer is charging more than other dealers. ?

Who's driving a VW AllTrack?

We have 17 Alltrack. 148k on it . Winter highways and full winter tires is money. If you ever have seen Highway through Hell, that’s where we live. So far so good as far as repairs ( only consumables so far have been oil, transmission fluid and rear shocks/ struts ) We have been super happy . I added the unitronic stage 1 dsg/ ecu tune which adds the fun factor. Can’t go higher where I am cause there is no 93 🤨.

"Dad, I can huck that"

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Alltrack has bigger tire diameter. 6 spd Manual alltrack has more powerful engine tune than the 5 spd awd SW.
    I'm pretty sure there's no difference in the tune for the Altrack and the AWD Golf.

I just learned that you could only get the base Golf with AWD in the US, in Canada all trims could be ordered with it. We also only got the top model of Alltrack too.

That explains why I see way more regular AWD Golfs than Alltracks.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    If you can find one. They didn't sell well. Most wagons didn't sell well that is why they are gone now. Lol
    Except for skiers. Our K2 rep, our Oakley rep, three of my ski buddies and two of my neighbors all got Alltracks - and me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    . . . and had clutch from the R, nice if you chip it.
    APR Stage 1 on day 10 of ownership, super stoked on both performance and gas mileage . . .

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's no difference in the tune for the Altrack and the AWD Golf.

Note that I was specifically referring to the manual versions. The 5 spd manual had a lower torque limitation than the 6 spd manual. Nothing earth shattering in my post, Google the details if you care.

5 speed manual (1.4TSI and 1.8TSI) = 250NM/184lbs/ft because thats what the 02A/02J is rated for.
    Manual alltrack gets 199.

As you can imagine, the VW forums a few years ago dove into the differences between sportwagen and alltracks in a lot of detail. Another difference is the big ass skid plate on the alltrack , which as I recall some sportwagen owners were buying to protect an item that sometimes cracked if you drive dirt/gravelly roads at speed a lot.

The 5 speed manual was only offered on the FWD cars. The AWD non-Alltracks get the 6 speed. That's why I said Alltrack vs AWD wagon.

But yeah, the torque is limited in the FWD manual cars.

In Canada you could get the AWD wagon in a manual in all trim levels, so I don't think I'd buy a FWD gas wagon (despite currently owning a FWD TDI wagon).

Sorry for the old bump. Just picked up a '17 Alltrack. It came w/18 Conti Extreme Contact 18 in. I'm in New England, and will drive on a pow day. Was planning on 17 in snow, but am I being too conservative? Love the car thus far...few days.

205/65/16 ftw.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    Sorry for the old bump. Just picked up a '17 Alltrack. It came w/18 Conti Extreme Contact 18 in. I'm in New England, and will drive on a pow day. Was planning on 17 in snow, but am I being too conservative? Love the car thus far...few days.
    Nope. 16” or 17" wheels with Blizzaks or Nokians is the way to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9118.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	782.6 KB 
ID:	432672
    Last edited by jackattack; 11-07-2022 at 11:18 AM.

We are running 215/60r16 Hakkapeliittas on steel wheels.

That 17's are crazy talk if you want the best snow performance.

I have a set of XIce3's that were brilliant for 4 seasons. Ran them this summer to try to wear them out but they still have strikingly deep tread depth. Have a new pair of XIce snows ready to mount after turkey day or whenever winter arrives in earnest.

Couldn't imagine why you'd want wider and lower profile.

The 16's are especially good at soaking up winter potholes.

They are slightly bigger diameter than stock, so 6th gear turns the motor ever so slightly slower on the highway, which is another benefit imo.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

I run 215/60/16 Nokian Hakkapelita R3 with slight rub on full turn. But I don’t turn

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

16 or 17 doesn't matter 16 is a little better for potholes, otherwise who really cares. 16 tires are usually cheaper?

What's the preferred 17" rim size? No Valley's locally.

Who's driving a VW AllTrack?

Here’s my 2 cents. I drive my 2017 Alltrack 1000 miles a week in Central and Northern NY; on I90 and the North country. In my opinion 205 65 16 is the best bang for your $. I was loyal to Nokian for over 2 decade’s; until they got too expensive. I then went in the budget direction; General, Hankook and had mixed opinions. I am most impressed with the 205 65 16 Blizzak WS90 on this car. It’s the best balance of everything; Dry/wet, snow/slush/ice and tread wear on the highway. If you’re rich and have Analysis by paralysis go with The HAK R3…. I have not tried the Michelin Ice xi3, but I bet the don’t suck either.

I’ll add that I’ve been driving VWs and Audi’s since 1984 and I’m really anal about ride, noise and performance. The blizzak in that size won’t disappoint.

I’ve also learned to stay away from steelie’s for rims. The design allows for sand and ice/snow build up and then you’re out of balance and it’s hard to clean that shit from the inside of the tire. Instead, get some 5x112 aluminum of Craig’s list or clearance from TR or discount tire. They seem to clean them selves and are much easier to hose of at the car wash. They’ll always be in balance and smooth/quiet.

What ever you do, if you swap rims make sure you use the right studs.

To more specifically answer the rim size questions. The 16, with more tire profile and air chamber is what you want for traction and ride. Plus you can still rail curve’s and corners fine.

Last edited by tango uniform; 11-07-2022 at 06:36 AM.

Good info. I’ve found blizzard to wear quickly and the second season they feel like they lose some capability, it’s been several years since I’ve had any though. I’m in Utah so things are different than NY. I appreciate the insight though s as my son is in central NY at college and he’ll likely take the VW out there next year. We have studded R9s on the Alltrack because I was worried about him as a beginner and wanted every edge I could get. Are studs legal in NY? I was actually thinking of going with all-seasons since he doesn’t have storage in the dorm, bad idea?

We have an unlimited pass at the local car wash tunnel and run the car through several times a week in the winter so never had a problem with dirt buildup.

On my other car I went from R3s to Continental VikingContact 7s. I don’t notice much difference in grip but they are quieter and seem to be wearing better.

Any 16" VW rim with the correct bolt pattern should fit. It'll be the cheapest option.

17" will get you better handling and looks, it's up to you if that matters.

And since the WS-80's the Blizzaks have lasted longer and more in line with their competitors.

The latest Michelin tire is the X-Ice Snow and I've heard enough anecdotes about their marginal snow/ice performance that I would stay away. Not that it matters, I'm a Blizzak fan boy through and through.

And really, any of the tires from the top tier manufacturers will be up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by utagonian View Post
    Good info. I’ve found blizzard to wear quickly and the second season they feel like they lose some capability, it’s been several years since I’ve had any though. I’m in Utah so things are different than NY. I appreciate the insight though s as my son is in central NY at college and he’ll likely take the VW out there next year. We have studded R9s on the Alltrack because I was worried about him as a beginner and wanted every edge I could get. Are studs legal in NY? I was actually thinking of going with all-seasons since he doesn’t have storage in the dorm, bad idea?

We have an unlimited pass at the local car wash tunnel and run the car through several times a week in the winter so never had a problem with dirt buildup.

On my other car I went from R3s to Continental VikingContact 7s. I don’t notice much difference in grip but they are quieter and seem to be wearing better.
    Studs are legal, but imo, with all the studless compound and tread pattern advancements, plus the heavy use of brine, salt and sand here in CNY they’re not needed any more. Nonetheless, If I lived in the north country or CA, and only drove locally I’d still stud my tires.

Quote Originally Posted by utagonian View Post
    Are studs legal in NY? I was actually thinking of going with all-seasons since he doesn’t have storage in the dorm, bad idea?

studs are legal in ny

all season tires suck, especially in the upstates.

fact.