Page 10 of 98 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    What do you think the tline crowds will be like thurs OD?
    yepper

2017/2018 ofishul orygun thread

Hey Wyeaster, what size board and reg vs goofy?

I have 3 priors, all same general shape. Prior 161 BC split XTC (brand new), Prior 161 BC split fiberglass (old and very soft now), Prior 162 MFR fiberglass (brand new), all regular stance and changeable to goofy but I generally don’t like messing with my pucks for a loan. Anyways if you wanna take a lap on one let me know.

I heard about CP’s death, sad ... I don’t know how much his personal leadership or finances are tied to that company. Hopefully they keep going with their same shapes - that BC/MFR shape isn’t the most progressive or hero shape out there but over the years I found it to be the most predictable and versatile shape in any conditions Mother Nature can throw, therefore the most consistently overall fun. I also tend to like narrower waists and longer leaner shapes with a small amount of taper (like the old school Supermodel), so the MFR/BC is a natural choice for me.

I used to ride Arbor A frame, great for inbounds technical riding in variable snow, not the most fun in pow. I’ve ridden K2’s, Burton, Jones, Franco, Voile, and the Prior always pulls me back.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I get it, it's so much easier to hate on MHM than know the facts; here's a start.
    https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...3/Chapter2.pdf

Heather is 38-40*, the most common slope angle for avalanches. The bowls are on the leeward side. And yes, there were 2 warming events early last year that lead to 2 weak layers deep in the snow pack.

After skiing Mt Hood for 39 years I have seen them open Heather at 9:05 on a Monday, and 2:30 on a Saturday.
    I'm gonna guess he hasn't met you in person. You don't strike me as a corporate shill for anyone but Ullr. Nice high-road reply too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    And yes, there were 2 warming events early last year that lead to 2 weak layers deep in the snow pack.
    So, you are saying that these 2 persistent weak layers are what caused Meadows to open Heather later than normal on any given day? Hmmm...

Look, I realize that Heather is very avy prone and it takes a lot of effort to mitigate the hazards after every storm/weather event, but it is pretty obvious that they have been starting their control work in Heather much later in the morning than they used to and I have been skiing Meadows since 1992. I fully respect the job they do and would never want them to open any terrain before it is as safe as possible but I just wish they would start earlier on week days so I could get some pow before having to go back to my miserable desk. Just me being selfish is all.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Hey Wyeaster, what size board and reg vs goofy?

I have 3 priors, all same general shape. Prior 161 BC split XTC (brand new), Prior 161 BC split fiberglass (old and very soft now), Prior 162 MFR fiberglass (brand new), all regular stance and changeable to goofy but I generally don’t like messing with my pucks for a loan. Anyways if you wanna take a lap on one let me know.

I heard about CP’s death, sad ... I don’t know how much his personal leadership or finances are tied to that company. Hopefully they keep going with their same shapes - that BC/MFR shape isn’t the most progressive or hero shape out there but over the years I found it to be the most predictable and versatile shape in any conditions Mother Nature can throw, therefore the most consistently overall fun. I also tend to like narrower waists and longer leaner shapes with a small amount of taper (like the old school Supermodel), so the MFR/BC is a natural choice for me.

I used to ride Arbor A frame, great for inbounds technical riding in variable snow, not the most fun in pow. I’ve ridden K2’s, Burton, Jones, Franco, Voile, and the Prior always pulls me back.

hey man, thanks for the offer. my flagship is 165, i ride regular. it would be cool to check one out someday. i had no idea that prior died. i have admired his boards for about as long as i've been riding.

i got my board back all nice and clean and then realized i should probably be riding a rock board at this point. big dumps next week. thursday timberflats it is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i'm shooting for a tues, wed or thurs annual brain reset. got my board back and it looks great. my physical prep hasn't gone quite like i would have liked but i'm ready

Nice looking board.

thanks man. new snow tires reluctantly purchased, put the rack on and a few other little things and thursday is a go.

Unoffical this weekend.
    yepper

I'm guessing this Thursday will be very light crowds at TLine. Non holiday weekdays are ski on to the lift more often than not. Even yesterday I was skiing right to the head of the singles line most runs.
    Update on the Saturday Man Tantrum. Turns out the guys met up with their friends and jumped on each other at the old boy scout cabin and 8 people ended up getting their passes pulled and banned from Timberline.
    Quote Originally Posted by interloper View Post
    What do you think the tline crowds will be like thurs OD?

in the four years i've been at timberline i have yet to witness anything close to the shitshow that happens on a busy weekend at meadows. i prefer meadows but quit riding weekends years ago.

pretty fucked up about the brawl at phlox cabin

pretty fucked up about the brawl at phlox cabin
    What's this?

in the four years i've been at timberline i have yet to witness anything close to the shitshow that happens on a busy weekend at meadows. i prefer meadows but quit riding weekends years ago.
    Yep. Weekends suck unless the whole mountain is open. For what is essentially the same price now, I'd rather wait in lift lines for Meadows terrain. At least that's my conclusion based on what I remember tline being like 15 years ago.

I was set to go scope it out last weekend, then saw 76 bucks...

And yeah, man fight? Already?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    So, you are saying that these 2 persistent weak layers are what caused Meadows to open Heather later than normal on any given day? Hmmm...

Look, I realize that Heather is very avy prone and it takes a lot of effort to mitigate the hazards after every storm/weather event, but it is pretty obvious that they have been starting their control work in Heather much later in the morning than they used to and I have been skiing Meadows since 1992. I fully respect the job they do and would never want them to open any terrain before it is as safe as possible but I just wish they would start earlier on week days so I could get some pow before having to go back to my miserable desk. Just me being selfish is all.
    One of the big issues is above Heather - where MHM can't bomb. I'm sure a mag has the photo's from a couple years ago when Wy'East released. It's a giant gully/trap zone that can get hit from many many release points as you funnel out. Typically the snow sucks due to wind anyways.

Last year the trees below heather were open even on huge days. One guy died last year and wasn't found for a couple weeks until a rain event, RIP. It was deep and plentiful all year long and open on a regular basis - weekdays anyways when I ride MHM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    What's this?

OregonDead's post a few back. i guess i shouldn't say brawl but only assume something of that nature to get 8 people banned.

OregonDead's post a few back. i guess i shouldn't say brawl but only assume something of that nature to get 8 people banned.
    Ah sorry, should've gone back to read... thought it was new news you were sharing. Different pages on mobile.

Carry on

Thanks OD. If the winds don't ramp up I'm there. It's a shame folks don't have more self-control. Listening to the news....pdx sounds like a train wreck every night.
    yepper

yes i'm praying for less wind by thursday. it's supposed to be blowing until then i think

Quote Originally Posted by powholic View Post
    One of the big issues is above Heather - where MHM can't bomb. I'm sure a mag has the photo's from a couple years ago when Wy'East released. It's a giant gully/trap zone that can get hit from many many release points as you funnel out. Typically the snow sucks due to wind anyways.

Last year the trees below heather were open even on huge days. One guy died last year and wasn't found for a couple weeks until a rain event, RIP. It was deep and plentiful all year long and open on a regular basis - weekdays anyways when I ride MHM.
    Wish I could find those photos again (Jan 2010?, March 2011?). The length of the path and the size of the debris field were incredible.

I think MHM's pro patrol does a fan-fucking-tastic job at opening terrain. Maybe I am becoming overly-cautious and boring, but there were plenty of days last year where I was surprised at which gates were given the green light during or right after a big storm.

FWIW, the wind was nuking up there today. Heavy wet snow was found at the lower elevations (HRM/Newton), snow was much nicer at higher elevations in sheltered spots. Going to need another foot or three before hanging up the rock skis.

I took these 1-18-2010
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180009.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	216059

Name:	P1180010.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	216060

Name:	P1180011.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	216062

Name:	P1180013.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	216064

Name:	P1180015.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	216065

Name:	P1180017.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	216066

Nice! Bachelor:

We're Opening Saturday!

Exciting news - Mt. Bachelor is opening for the 2017-18 winter ski/snowboard season this Saturday at 9:00 a.m.! Conditions permitting, three lifts – Pine Marten, Skyliner and Sunshine Accelerator – will be in operation from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., providing access to terrain for skiers and snowboarders of all abilities, although we recommend skiing/riding only on the groomed runs until the snow base deepens.

All 2017-2018 Full Season, 12 Day and 4 Day Passes will be valid for use beginning Saturday. And great news for Midweek Pass holders, you're welcome to join us opening weekend as well! Your passes will be valid both Saturday and Sunday, November 18-19. For those who don't have a season pass, single-day lifts tickets will offered at reduced prices: $63 for adults, $52 for teens/seniors and $36 for youth/70+. And thanks to our new partner YETI, the first 50 customers to load the Pine Marten lift Saturday morning will receive a free Ramber 20 oz. Tumbler!

More information will be available about this weekend's opening in the coming days. In the meantime, get ready to ride... starting Saturday!

Do you ever work, just retire and go skiing.
    yepper

^^^no shit! They must have a low performance bar at his company.

And K2skier - was that the slide that happened on like a Sunday evening, after patrol lobbed a few artillery shells on it in the AM and everybody skied on it all day?

yes, it was

Oh wait......he's team leader,nevermind.
    yepper