Page 19 of 98 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Blustery day at MHM. The cold kept the snow soft where deposited and edgeable where packed. Fun turns were had on the GS skis I got off iriponsnow.

First turns were in boot deep wind deposits in 4 Bowl...lol for a skinny ski!

Beware low tide; it is real

(Need repair tips — never gouged a ski to the point of needing a repair)

Freezing elevation going way high starting Tues
    http://www.racewax.com/ptex-base-repair/

Or just get on3p's (or Praxis) - bases so hard rocks are afraid of them

Sharks got me too. Met the legendary Bobcat in person finally. No laps, but I did offer him a drink.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice shots. Super moon and single digits today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southsisteroutback.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	217967
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Wasn't the super moon yesterday?

nice

Mattig, on the new kastles ? Ouch

TBS, thx for the link...it doesn’t look too complicated

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I'll ditto that. My 5-year old Praxis BC bases look like they've had only a single, very mild resort season - not showing the volcanic lava that has been skinned and skied over, lots of dry-tooling "portaging" to connect isolated strips of snow, landing small hucks on buried sharks, Jamie Pierre inspired "ride it switch [directly on]to the road" at every trailhead exit, etc.

I have a pair of super-scarred rock skis (Line P100's with Barons) that may become useless once I mount my GPO resort skis ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Mattig, on the new kastles ? Ouch

TBS, thx for the link...it doesn’t look too complicated
    Lol, of course.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NOAA outlook maps from yesterday (6-10, 8-14, 30 day) all look dour for west coast US mountains in general, above avg temps and below avg precip more statistically likely than not.

Seems to suggest road trip to Canadian Rockies for those who are trying to "bet" on high-expectation value end of month ski trips.

What happened to the La Nina pattern, is it falling apart? 30" base depth isn't much to build on with this forecast. Maybe I'll be using my mountain bike a bit more this month than originally envisioned ...

I hope the models are wrong!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    FKNA. You and me both.
    The Hardest Workin' Man in Snow-Business

New snow the past 2 days was super fun. Made all the difference especially in the woods. I've been loving this fall but hopefully we'll get real accumulation this winter.
    I like to read Rufus's long range forecasts in the weather cafe over at http://ovs.com/ Maybe the ridge will break down before winter if these models pan out.
    BTW I ordered from Race wax through Prime last week and my order got to me in under 2 days. Same price as ordering direct from them.

I'll ditto that. My 5-year old Praxis BC bases look like they've had only a single, very mild resort season - not showing the volcanic lava that has been skinned and skied over, lots of dry-tooling "portaging" to connect isolated strips of snow, landing small hucks on buried sharks, Jamie Pierre inspired "ride it switch [directly on]to the road" at every trailhead exit, etc.

I have a pair of super-scarred rock skis (Line P100's with Barons) that may become useless once I mount my GPO resort skis ...
    Everytime I see "race base" i think paper thin. My ON3P's have never been shot, along with my Line Influence 105.
    Training for Alpental

Got a similar gouge like acinpdx on my skis. Took a header after the shark bit me. Bachy lines were about 18 minutes at one point. Went in side about 10:45 for a snack and some water. Came back out and the lift lines were about half the wait. Good and light snow. Got some sweet early turns before it got really crowded at mid-morning. But people started leaving right around noon. Now we must wait for the snow to return, or go search elsewhere for fresh snow...
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I know better but got lured onto a ridge and shark bit on some new powder boards. Quality conditions for what we've got. It's going to get unpleasant with out more moisture. From 10f to low 30s by afternoon.

Name:	20171204_115904.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	947.8 KB 
ID:	218008

Name:	20171204_124312.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	218009
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

i stayed disciplined and on the groom and avoided any falls. my brain doesn't feel worse and the rest of me feels better. looks like the weather will cooperate with recovery.

today was my little buddy's first taste of untracked powder. they apparently didn't groom a couple of the runs to stormin norman and they were perfect, boot deep powder and he went bonkers. screaming at the top of his lungs "I LOVE THIS!!!!" tried to follow wherever i went. if he crashed he got himself back up and kept going. wore his mom out. we're going to be great storm riding buddies i can't wait. i mean, i can because it's happening too fast but it will be great when he can keep up and pass me so we can quit the lollygagging and ride.

It shouldn't be but a few years and he'll roll by.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    http://www.racewax.com/ptex-base-repair/

Came here to say the same thing. I swear ON3P bases are industrictable. No more need for rock skis. Seriously; ski the same skis all year round.

I had a pair of ON3P Wrenegades - the older 113mm-waisted version, and one particular day at Bridger, I was going mach-looney down the Hollywood line under the Slushman's lift. Tried to air it over a roller... that turned out to be thinly veiled rock outcropping. The impact before take-off blew the ski off and caused my jaw to ache. Once I collected my gear, ski and bruised ego, I scoped the bottom of the ski. I figured it was a season-ender and that I was, at the very least, out a good portion of edge and most of my base. At worst, a fully exploded ski.

It was none those things. Just a narrow band stripped from the base. It was the only time I've ever had to use a p-tex candle on a pair of ON3P ski. And this is after living and skiing in Big Sky and Bozeman, where base repair is a way of life.

Believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Sharks got me too. Met the legendary Bobcat in person finally. No laps, but I did offer him a drink.
    Good times. Glad we had a chance to connect. We'll ski soon and get your kidlet jumping in no time.
    NOAA outlook maps from yesterday (6-10, 8-14, 30 day) all look dour for west coast US mountains in general, above avg temps and below avg precip more statistically likely than not.

Seems to suggest road trip to Canadian Rockies for those who are trying to "bet" on high-expectation value end of month ski trips.

What happened to the La Nina pattern, is it falling apart? 30" base depth isn't much to build on with this forecast. Maybe I'll be using my mountain bike a bit more this month than originally envisioned ...

You can blame me; two new pair of skis and a Mountain Collective Pass. Last year? No passes and no new skis... go figure.

i know. i got my knee fixed to try to keep up for a while. hopefully i can manage not to fuck myself up further in the meantime. i have a hard time grasping that i am 51.

Anyone know what the plan is with Palmer this week? Noticed their web-site now says lift maintenance for the status.

What's the snowpack depth on Palmer OD? Folks during these Holidays please drive with a relaxed attitude. Your on vacation. We've had 2 fatalities in CO yesterday, black ice.

Really have no idea. Timberline isn't putting anything out. They got those new cats that can measure the depth a couple years ago and have hardly ever put out any data from it. Coverage looks pretty good though. That rocky mound that is skiers left of midway looks mostly covered up on the webcam.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    What's the snowpack depth on Palmer OD? Folks during these Holidays please drive with a relaxed attitude. Your on vacation. We've had 2 fatalities in CO yesterday, black ice.

Bachy was nice today: Bluebird, no wind...... and big thanks to the all the weekenders for staying mostly on the groomed: Lots of untracked, just watch for fins.

No rocks in the air
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

For me, air marks the beginning of a tragic event.
    You want air kid, pull my finger
    That aside, nice shot J