Page 33 of 98 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Sleeping in is the way to go on holidayz. Managed to get my front row spot when I rolled in about 2:00 yesterday. Fun in the slush and then another good sunset riding Molly's. Things were not quite as thick as Saturday afternoon. Hopefully some of these folks will have to work today since I'm trying for a little eariler start. Time to run my dog around and head back out there.

2017/2018 ofishul orygun thread

Yeah I rolled in at 2:00 on Saturday and all lots were full. I squeezed into the Bennett pass parking lot and the guy told me to wait for 15 cars to leave. He preceded to let the next 20 cars through so I went up towards main. They directed me to sunrise where there were at least 50-75 open spots. WTF. Must have been a really shitty job to do but seriously meadows. I think they should make people pay for parking on peak weekends and have free parking for that shuttle they do out of hood river if they want to alleviate the problem. Parking on Sunday was better but still filled out early. I must say the snow was skiing real nice but just like timberline it was pretty dangerous on the greens and blues. And the lift line antics were all time gaper show. I am glad I got up there with the fam.

Not sure how they could implement such a pay for parking program without causing another cluster but I am sure it could be done. Another thing I noticed was at least a quarter of cars in the sample I looked at did not have a sno-park permit.

i've noticed the lack of sno-park permits and wondered if it was always this way and my random sampling didnt realize it

Said it last year and will say it again this year... Meadows management needs to go observe the lift line flow at bachelor. It doesn't take any more employees or effort than they already have on tap, and it would decrease violent crime in the Portland area threefold.

Klauss, the only way we stay sane on main lot weekends is to get there by 715 or before. Saturday, I brought the generator and waxed 4 pairs of skis while my kid finished sleeping. A few laps early then in for lunch (at the truck) by 1020am. Crowds thin for regular lunch hours and then we head back out for the least crowded skiing of the day.

Good powder days=Cliff bars and deal with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Your parking lot prowess is well regarded Mattig. But tough pill to swallow when you arrive at 2pm for a afternoon night ski and they want you to go to hood river proper and bus it. It's rare, but I bet it starts to happen more and more as the region gets more inflow.

The lifties were actually doing a decent job, but people refuse to line up with their group at the front, have no sense of alternating lines, crowd the box when it's the other sides turn, using the singles line like dipladocus, etc. Yeah i've noticed the maze setups at bachelor are typically organized more effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i've noticed the lack of sno-park permits and wondered if it was always this way and my random sampling didnt realize it
    HR county sheriff's dept. routinely patrols all of meadows' lots and they write shit tons of tickets. It's not worth risking

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    HR county sheriff's dept. routinely patrols all of meadows' lots and they write shit tons of tickets. It's not worth risking
    i've never not had one. not really the way i do things if i can help it and too paranoid to risk it anyway.

Good to know. I am fully in get off my lawn/citizens arrest status with peeps w/o parking passes or who let their dogs shit all over the parking lot. Don't think I've ever noticed em ticketing the lot and I spend a lot of time back and forth with the dog. I've seen their cruisers but that's not too often.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Yeah I rolled in at 2:00 on Saturday and all lots were full. I squeezed into the Bennett pass parking lot and the guy told me to wait for 15 cars to leave. He preceded to let the next 20 cars through so I went up towards main. They directed me to sunrise where there were at least 50-75 open spots. WTF. Must have been a really shitty job to do but seriously meadows. I think they should make people pay for parking on peak weekends and have free parking for that shuttle they do out of hood river if they want to alleviate the problem. Parking on Sunday was better but still filled out early. I must say the snow was skiing real nice but just like timberline it was pretty dangerous on the greens and blues. And the lift line antics were all time gaper show. I am glad I got up there with the fam.

Not sure how they could implement such a pay for parking program without causing another cluster but I am sure it could be done. Another thing I noticed was at least a quarter of cars in the sample I looked at did not have a sno-park permit.
    Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but: I don't think they are allowed to do a pay-to-park system as part of their agreement with the USFS.
    The Hardest Workin' Man in Snow-Business

The county does not have jurisdiction over Snow Parks, the State does. Years ago, I used to see the State Cadets in their old white pickups patrolling the Snow Parks and issuing tickets but not anymore. Also, the Meadows parking lot staff used to roam the lots selling Snow Park passes which encouraged people to buy them (both informing and making it easy) but I don't see that anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by FatKidFromFL View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but: I don't think they are allowed to do a pay-to-park system as part of their agreement with the USFS.
    This is correct for a couple reasons:

1: It is USFS land and a Snow Park permit is already required by the State (in partnership with USFS) in order to pay for plowing, etc, and that will always remain. Can you imagine the uproar if a ski resort tried to charge a separate parking fee on top of that?

2: If the USFS allowed any resort operating on Federal land to charge a separate parking fee, they would be setting a precedent and would have to allow ALL of them to do it which would cause various uproars from the public as illustrated in reason #1 above.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i've never not had one. not really the way i do things if i can help it and too paranoid to risk it anyway.
    You've never had a snow park permit?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Also, the Meadows parking lot staff used to roam the lots selling Snow Park passes which encouraged people to buy them (both informing and making it easy) but I don't see that anymore either.
    That’s how I bought mine this year, though, admittedly, I haven’t really seen them much & just happened to get lucky that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    You've never had a snow park permit?
    Double negative in his post

Name:  26239454_562337177452608_3453756075871932267_n.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  20.9 KB
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Double negative in his post
    Ahh, this is what I get for skimming his post. Thanks

And if you do end up with a ticket, you can buy a permit after the fact, go to the Clackamas Circuit Court House in Oregon City, show them, and they'll waive the fine.

(Or at least they did about 10 years ago when this happened to me. I have a couple of vehicles I use my 1 permit in and forgot to switch it out one time)

Swell day at the butte. Ghost town & fresh turns #alldaylong. Big dump coming. Crossing fingers.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Your parking lot prowess is well regarded Mattig. But tough pill to swallow when you arrive at 2pm for a afternoon night ski and they want you to go to hood river proper and bus it. It's rare, but I bet it starts to happen more and more as the region gets more inflow.

The lifties were actually doing a decent job, but people refuse to line up with their group at the front, have no sense of alternating lines, crowd the box when it's the other sides turn, using the singles line like dipladocus, etc. Yeah i've noticed the maze setups at bachelor are typically organized more effectively.
    I hear ya. They'd have to pay me to take the bus.

Re lift lines... The lifties aren't the issue. Explaining it really feels redundant as long as you're skied bachelor any time in the past few years. Night and day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The lift lines are too long at Mt Bachelor, especially on the weekends

Jonesy - Thursday, maybe maiden voyage on gpos

When I retire I'll release my audiobook on lift line arbitrage. I've studied the migratory patterns of the aspiring dentist and their racing offspring for decades now. It's truly tougher to implement my strategies at bachelor, but can be done if you listen to the entire dossier.

When I retire I'll release my audiobook on lift line arbitrage. I've studied the migratory patterns of the aspiring dentist and their racing offspring for decades now. It's truly tougher to implement my strategies at bachelor, but can be done if you listen to the entire dossier.
    preordering

While it can be a real shit show at Hood nothing compares IMV to the queues at South American ski resorts.

I'm in tbs, ski logik.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caution.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	468.4 KB 
ID:	221565

I would reply to the comments about lift lines at Bachelor..... The new manager seems to be aware of the problems of lifts not running. Which is great considering that slow, late, and broken seemed to be the previous managers favored operating plan.

I was at Bachelor last year on one of the days that they had to shut the parking lot down because they simply could park no more cars! The parking lot was a total, free fire, fluster cluck. It was one of the biggest crowds they ever had, and yet most of the lifts were turning and lift lines were not bad (and I hate lift lines!).

Admittedly, I have not skied much this year so (8 days) far due to... low snow pack, skis broken on rocks, difficulty replacing old ski boots (industry wide war on tele gear), xmas / MLK masses, and of course, the star of this season...RAIN, RAIN, RAIN! However I have not heard friends from Bend complain about lift lines being as bad a they were in the past. And they would know.

Give the new manager a chance to change your mind. At least that is the outlook I am holding at this point. I think he shows promise.