Page 90 of 98 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 2434
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Sounds like expensive pow days for non-pass holders. All the Vail resorts have already done this and it practically means needing to buy lift tix from their website upfront when going on planned trips, or paying outrageous prices at the window. But on the flip side, I’ve seen enough photos of weekend pow days at MHM, maybe this will improve the experience marginally.
    Yeah all the big resorts I've been to out of state are like this. I haven't heard it makes any difference with the crowds but the resorts seem to be making more money.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Wow, this is awesome news for season pass holders but there are going to be a lot of pissed off PDX dooouuuches who don't know about it and have to pay $99 for a ticket on a weekend powder day. I look forward to witnessing the temper tantrums by the entitled assclowns.
    I don't see how this will change anything for pass holders. The parking lots already reach capacity on peak days and I doubt that will change. Meadows has probably looked into this and figured out people will just pay more since they have them over a barrel.
    Instead of throwing a tantrum I'm guessing a lot of people will somehow use the high price to justify higher prices for a beer etc. I was at the ducks game Saturday and tons of people were buying beers for $9 and just shrugging it off saying "oh well I should have expected it when the tickets were so expensive."

I'm the opposite. If I'm going somewhere with expensive booze, I bring the truck vodka.

If the rate changes decrease crowds at all, I like them. If they don't, I still like them. Clearly, it's not expensive enough to ski on hood.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Everyone has complained about the crowds, the only way to try and quell that is to price some people out of it. I'm sure some of those complainers will be see sitting in line at the base of Timberline road at 10 AM, still unable to figure out why they can't leave Hillsboro at 8 AM and get a place to park during Christmas break.
    Training for Alpental

Actually, it’s not the only way to reduce crowds, but it is a way to maximize revenue under low price elasticity. You could also limit max ticket sales, limit pass sales, limit parking, etc.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Bachelor tired to do a graduated fee according to the number of lifts running on a given day. However they also charged the max price when ever they decided the skiing was good. This rendered the program a bad joke. I suspect that the fluid nature of their promised deal developed a lot of bad feelings. They soon dumped the program.

Bachelor tired to do a graduated fee according to the number of lifts running on a given day. However they also charged the max price when ever they decided the skiing was good. This rendered the program a bad joke. I suspect that the fluid nature of their promised deal developed a lot of bad feelings. They soon dumped the program.

I suspect the only thing that will resurrect "Powder Days" is to shut down all the high speed lifts and ban fat skis. Good luck on that!

2017/2018 ofishul orygun thread

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    and ban snowboards
    T-line is perfect for them

(I kid...sideways sliders are all good)

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Actually, it’s not the only way to reduce crowds, but it is a way to maximize revenue under low price elasticity. You could also limit max ticket sales, limit pass sales, limit parking, etc.
    That's just bad economics though (limiting sales to increase customer satisfaction). With unemployment as low as it is (and this week's JOLTS data showing more job openings than unemployed people), this is the perfect time for an corporation (or whatever owns MHM) to raise prices.

In the grand scheme of things, a few hundred bucks a year is doable for almost anyone. There was a time in my life when it wasn't doable for me, and paying anything at all to ski was the furthest thing from my mind. If shit hits the fan again some day, skiing will be the first thing to go. That time will be replaced with an attempt to earn money and pay bills.

How many ski days would a van-life ski bum need to sacrifice in order to earn a few hundred extra bucks via manual labor? A lot of landscape crews, etc will pay you 20 bucks an hour and right before ski season to boot! So ski 47 days this season instead of 50 AND get more laps because you priced 5% of people off the mountain who didn't want to pay up as a matter of principle.

100/day retail window and 899 season pass would do wonders. Maybe? Idfk, just thinking out loud here...

BOOOOOOOOORING
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    BOOOOOOOOORING
    Don't you mean STFU JONG? Cuz it's been a while.

Cliff Mass talking about it Tuesday
    WaPo is on it today

THE BLOB...

make your appeals to Ullr in whatever traditions you follow

I'm torn on the MHM demand pricing.

On one hand, trying to brave the crowds, lines and maddening fucking traffic; maybe this helps? For me, it's gotten so bad as to nearly make skiing no longer fun. At least, locally.

On the other hand, seems awfully greedy on top of what are some steep prices at Meadows.

Only time will tell...

Oooh I'm getting excited. Time to stab old man summer in the heart with a fork.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Cliff Mass talking about it Tuesday
    WaPo is on it today

THE BLOB...

make your appeals to Ullr in whatever traditions you follow

I will say that seeing the regular MHM shitshow bitching does make me marginally glad that I live in the south end of the Willamette. Our food can't light a candle to Portland's, but our trail and mountain access is so much less frustrating ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

It's a 1st world problem. I'd take it as it is right now for the rest of my life and be quite happy about it.

after what i saw during my few trips to meadows last season, i'm reluctantly satisfied to ride at timberline. waiting is a buzzkill. i'm there for max slide time, usually with the boy now. unfortunately, even after 5 years at timberline, all my best solo experiences are at meadows.

Signed up for this service last night: https://airflare.com/

Pretty simple and inexpensive - signed up at $4.99/year. Excellent complement to a PLB like Spot if you're getting out and about. Love that you don't have to activate it like a Spot. Currently only a few SAR groups and ski resorts in the PNW have partnered with Airflare, but more coverage coming online in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I'm torn on the MHM demand pricing.

On one hand, trying to brave the crowds, lines and maddening fucking traffic; maybe this helps? For me, it's gotten so bad as to nearly make skiing no longer fun. At least, locally.

On the other hand, seems awfully greedy on top of what are some steep prices at Meadows.

Only time will tell...
    Last couple of years we've been going out I84 and getting to HRM lot by 8:00.

Ski hard until 1:00 then bail before traffic gets bad.

Makes the weekends almost bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Signed up for this service last night: https://airflare.com/

Pretty simple and inexpensive - signed up at $4.99/year. Excellent complement to a PLB like Spot if you're getting out and about. Love that you don't have to activate it like a Spot. Currently only a few SAR groups and ski resorts in the PNW have partnered with Airflare, but more coverage coming online in the future.
    How is this different than just the typical ping from a mobile phone?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    How is this different than just the typical ping from a mobile phone?
    The app pushes exact GPS coordinates, so it’s more precise than a cell ping. It works on or off the cell grid. If you’re on the grid, the AirFlare app pushes location data to their servers like a cell ping. SAR teams deploy with a quadcopter drone - the drone can find you with cell, WiFi or Bluetooth. Each team member deploys with a pocket device, and the drone acts as a relay to push location info to the search team.

Sounds pretty cool. It’d be interesting to see a demonstration.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    The app pushes exact GPS coordinates, so it’s more precise than a cell ping. It works on or off the cell grid. If you’re on the grid, the AirFlare app pushes location data to their servers like a cell ping. SAR teams deploy with a quadcopter drone - the drone can find you with cell, WiFi or Bluetooth. Each team member deploys with a pocket device, and the drone acts as a relay to push location info to the search team.
    What happens if you don’t have cell coverage when shit hits the fan?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    What happens if you don’t have cell coverage when shit hits the fan?
    Pay attention stoner!

Based on my interpretation of their FAQs, the tool doesn’t rely on cell coverage, it relies on someone initiating a SAR for you specifically. SAR using Airflare has a drone that looks for your specific phone by its WiFi and BLE beacon (looking for your MAC address basically, it’s the same tech as how mega retail stores spy on you when you shop by the way, by interacting with your phone app’s WiFi and BLE beacons). The system is a bit like Recco in the sense that it depends on the SAR team having the special search tool.

I’m really curious how this works out in testing because 2.4 GHz is pretty bad under a live forest canopy from what I recall - you get a lot of signal attenuation. But the new RF chips and Bluetooth protocols allow for longer range of beaconing and better link margins to identify the phone’s ID.

PLBs/EPIRBs use a much lower signal frequency that penetrates trees better from what I understand, which is a local 121 MHz beacon that SAR helis and low altitude fixed wing aircraft can receive, in addition to the 406 MHz distress signal that is picked up by NOAA weather satellites (and globally by COSPAS-SARSAT network).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell