Page 8 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Good stuff Scruff and Matt. We are trying to figure out what winter tire to get. The summers are quite worn!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I'm thinking I'm gonna ditch the studs after this winter and get snowflake rated AT's, like the BFG T/A KO2 ... probably just enough bite to do fine on Oregon roads in the winter while being more useful for the plethora of washed out FS roads in Oregon.

(edit, BFG not Bridgestone)
    I love my Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs around here. They kill it year round and I never have trouble in the snow and ice. I've never had an all season do as well in the snow as them, just as good as most dedicated snow tires. It's nice to not have to deal with swapping tires.

Quote Originally Posted by plurpimpin View Post
    I love my Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs around here. They kill it year round and I never have trouble in the snow and ice. I've never had an all season do as well in the snow as them, just as good as most dedicated snow tires. It's nice to not have to deal with swapping tires.
    Yeah, I hear great things about those also, but never tried them. Those and the ko2's were the 2 biggest recs when I was looking for a 4 season snowflake tire. Tap told me ko2 or GTFO, so...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If anyone is down for tues or wed next week @ meadows, let me know... Weather dependent of course.
    The Hardest Workin' Man in Snow-Business

Agreed. Best tire on the market. Amazing tread life too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Yeah, I hear great things about those also, but never tried them. Those and the ko2's were the 2 biggest recs when I was looking for a 4 season snowflake tire. Tap told me ko2 or GTFO, so...

I had a pair of ko2 that I returned. They lost 30% of their tread in 4000 miles. The guys at discount told me people are having really bad luck with treadlife on them, average they are seeing is 20,000 miles. I went to duratracs and am a lot happier.

2017/2018 ofishul orygun thread

I’ve seen some complaints about KO2 manufacturing recently ... unfortunately Duratracs don’t come in a size small enough for a Subie (current generation FXT) so the main options are KO2 or Geolander ATS. Anyhow I’m about 6 months out on buying since I’m gonna run my Altimax Arctics one more season.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I had a pair of ko2 that I returned. They lost 30% of their tread in 4000 miles. The guys at discount told me people are having really bad luck with treadlife on them, average they are seeing is 20,000 miles. I went to duratracs and am a lot happier.
    Interesting... I have 10,000 miles on mine and they look brand new. Did you happen to grab the plant code off yours before you took them back? Which size and load rating? I've seen the bad reports and I've seen the 70k mile reports. Mine seem to be on track for the latter, but I'd love to figure out what the x-factor is before recommending them to anyone else. It's one thing to see that stuff written by people I don't know on the internet. It's another coming from mags.

I put the Back Country All terrain on the Highlander last year. (Snowflake on the tire) It was my first time venturing away from studded snow tires. I was nervous, and felt like the studs on the subaru were going to be my mountain setup. (Highlander just a backup and ready to go for those allusive lowland snow events for the better half) I was surprised how well they perform, and usually went with the Highlander over the subaru for trips to the mountain. I would say I can rally the subaru harder if need be, but there is no need, and I just take my time getting up there in my old age. Not sure if it's the tires or the low center of gravity, long wheel base, and\or years of experience with the car. (Probably all of the above)

Interesting... I have 10,000 miles on mine and they look brand new. Did you happen to grab the plant code off yours before you took them back? Which size and load rating? I've seen the bad reports and I've seen the 70k mile reports. Mine seem to be on track for the latter, but I'd love to figure out what the x-factor is before recommending them to anyone else. It's one thing to see that stuff written by people I don't know on the internet. It's another coming from mags.
    No idea on plant code as I returned the tires. 285/75 r16 load e. On an f350 diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by FatKidFromFL View Post
    It's on.
    Baaaam! I hope to slide a little next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    No idea on plant code as I returned the tires. 285/75 r16 load e. On an f350 diesel.
    Ah yeah, that's a lot of sidewall. Mine are on 20 inch wheels. Maybe that helps.

Anyway. Who's skiing this weekend?! Can't bring myself to spend 76 damn dollars on timberline, but heavily contemplating a day trip to bachy. 6-7 hours of driving though...

Anyway. Who's skiing this weekend?! Can't bring myself to spend 76 damn dollars on timberline, but heavily contemplating a day trip to bachy. 6-7 hours of driving though...

We are headed to the promise land this weekend. If it opens, which I have not seen word on...we will be there bright and early Saturday morning. If it is not open, I may say screw it, and boot pack to the top of the cone from the parking lot...Then again, I may just get the pass, and leverage the food and beer of the area after a hike in the woods with the family and the dog!

Ping me if you head over.

General Comments Our scheduled opening date is November 24, but these storms are making an early opening likely! Keep checking for updates!
    Meadows is starting to allude to the potential of an early opener on the conditions page. Crossing my fingers for more than just Buttercup next weekend.

Meadows is starting to allude to the potential of an early opener on the conditions page. Crossing my fingers for more than just Buttercup next weekend.
    I doubt Buttercup will be finished before Thanksgiving

Thanks. I'm used to glare ice on Sierra passes, much stronger diurnal cycles. But Caltrans sands and plows so quickly it's rare to need amazing tires except right during a big dump.

My all-seasons aren't snowflake rated, just standard M+S touring tires by Yoko with relatively new tread depth. My only reasons to wait on bolting on the snow tires are road noise and dry handling at highway speeds, not premature wear. Studs are LOUD!

I'm thinking I'm gonna ditch the studs after this winter and get snowflake rated AT's, like the BFG T/A KO2 ... probably just enough bite to do fine on Oregon roads in the winter while being more useful for the plethora of washed out FS roads in Oregon.

(edit, BFG not Bridgestone)
    Get 'em siped, and you will be good to go in all 4 seasons.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    We are headed to the promise land this weekend. If it opens, which I have not seen word on...we will be there bright and early Saturday morning. If it is not open, I may say screw it, and boot pack to the top of the cone from the parking lot...Then again, I may just get the pass, and leverage the food and beer of the area after a hike in the woods with the family and the dog!

Based on the parking lot came for Bachy, a lot of folks are hiking this morning...Will be the same tomorrow too. Or not depending if a chair or two is spinning.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I doubt Buttercup will be finished before Thanksgiving
    hahaha awesome. Talk about the biggest waste of a lift upgrade

Everone was a beginner once.
    yepper

yeah but they're not in a hurry at that point! i bet meadows still doesn't have clocks in half the shacks.

hope i get there once this season!

I don’t know shit about Meadows, but coming from resorts with slow and fast lifts ... when powder is a scarce resource it’s great to have high speed beginner & intermediate lifts and low speed advanced/expert lifts. The good shots don’t get slayed, or scraped down to boarduroy, nearly as quickly that way. If that’s how Meadows is gonna be set up this season then I’d be much more interested to making the drive there.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I don’t know shit about Meadows, but coming from resorts with slow and fast lifts ... when powder is a scarce resource it’s great to have high speed beginner & intermediate lifts and low speed advanced/expert lifts. The good shots don’t get slayed, or scraped down to boarduroy, nearly as quickly that way. If that’s how Meadows is gonna be set up this season then I’d be much more interested to making the drive there.
    Even on powder weekdays, MHM gets flattened b4 noon...

You kinda just described Willamette Pass

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Even on powder weekdays, MHM gets flattened b4 noon...
    Yup, usually by 10 even. Especially if they are late getting Heather open or don't open it at all. I don't think I skied Heather once last season before work as it never opened until after 11, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post

If you don't ski Saturday come help us pack dirt for our jump lines...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0847.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	215718

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Yup, usually by 10 even. Especially if they are late getting Heather open or don't open it at all. I don't think I skied Heather once last season before work as it never opened until after 11, if at all.
    Didn't get up much last year? Heather was open by 12-23-16, one of the earlier openings. It was open quite often