Page 89 of 98 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2434
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    It's going to happen flow. Q is fast for his age. They grow up and you grow old.
    I look forward to that day. (Not me getting old...but the former)

2017/2018 ofishul orygun thread

Hoodoo last season was a lot of manzanita scraping until March when successive late Feb storms finally made the crater side skiable, then it was glop wading to April - but a handful of hero overhead white room days in February and March. I like Hoodoo so much better than Flatchelor for winter skiing, though spring or Fair weather noodling with my wife at Bach is great too.

Prognostication?

If I’m realllly lucky I’ll get a couple Hoodoo days this winter and a Little but of Ikenik/Clear Lake XC with a baby on my back ... due 12/31, so it’s probably gonna nuke all January!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 07:54 AM.

It would be nice to just skip Rock season and go straight to face shots. It could happen. Meanwhile back at the ranch, lovely weather.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

You wouldn’t care if you had On3p skis - bases so hard, rocks are afraid.

Forty - check yer PMs

Very fun skiing up on Palmer yesterday. Rock on!

How far up did you go?
    And, how low were you able to go?

Sparks off of your edges, cool. Aquired a new pair of womens 169cm k2 empress skis unmounted with Look bindings. Any interest pm me. tbs? :-)
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Top of the lift. Skis continuous to about midway. We carried a bit and then skied a lot of the lower gully too. Very narrow strip in the gully though.
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    How far up did you go?
    And, how low were you able to go?

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    meadows night vibe?
    The fucking bees knees of night skiing. Srsly. Lemme explain.

When mid-day mountain rains thwart the hungry skier, night time temps turn that mush into fluff. Being a good bit higher than Skibowl, the snow quality is generally better. Mt. Hood is still relatively low on any of the three ski areas, so every bit of elevation gain really does matter.
    Being that the Mt. Hood Express chair's terrain is fully lit, you have some relatively steep flow lines off 1 bowl, 2 bowl, 3 bowl, etc.... On a good nuking evening, you can hot lap these lines from peak to chair over and over and over again, while watching your tracks from the run prior disappear. A lot of the unlit sections are still accessible and skiiable if it's not a no moon kind of night.

It's rarely crowded on any night that I've been there, meaning most of the time your finish your lap by literally skiing onto the chair without hitting the brakes.

Yes, skibowl has a larger night skiing acreage, but Meadow's is much more consistent and better snow quality, with some terrain features that easily rival that of the bowl.

True statements. Wish it wasn't a 2hr drive for me or we'd hit it more often.

Watch out for oblivious people though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

^worst grooming though. On an icy night you can barely make it back to MHX without your teeth chattering out of your mouth. Groom at night is way better at Timberline and Skibowl has the best grooming on hood.

Can't say I've ever made the trek to night ski unless it was snowing enough to obviate groom. But for those that ski the stuff intentionally, that's good to know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

way to get after it, oregondead! maybe we'll actually cross paths this season.

i've had many fantastic nights at meadows. crowd clears out, temp drops and the snow is great. i've never had a complaint about the grooming for night skiing. i miss it.

buying timberline passes for 3 next week.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Sparks off of your edges, cool. Aquired a new pair of womens 169cm k2 empress skis unmounted with Look bindings. Any interest pm me. tbs? :-)
    As you have pointed out - publicly - many times, I am a little too "bulky" for those skis. :-(
    Which Look binders? New/never mounted?

Good Park skis for ya. Step/in binders din 10 so alittle light for your manliness. Everything is new. We should do a night session on Hood.

$10 Safeway Nights at MHM those were great times.

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    The fucking bees knees of night skiing. Srsly. Lemme explain.

When mid-day mountain rains thwart the hungry skier, night time temps turn that mush into fluff. Being a good bit higher than Skibowl, the snow quality is generally better. Mt. Hood is still relatively low on any of the three ski areas, so every bit of elevation gain really does matter.
    Being that the Mt. Hood Express chair's terrain is fully lit, you have some relatively steep flow lines off 1 bowl, 2 bowl, 3 bowl, etc.... On a good nuking evening, you can hot lap these lines from peak to chair over and over and over again, while watching your tracks from the run prior disappear. A lot of the unlit sections are still accessible and skiiable if it's not a no moon kind of night.

It's rarely crowded on any night that I've been there, meaning most of the time your finish your lap by literally skiing onto the chair without hitting the brakes.

Yes, skibowl has a larger night skiing acreage, but Meadow's is much more consistent and better snow quality, with some terrain features that easily rival that of the bowl.
    This is accurate. I have had amazing nights at both. But Meadows at night during a storm is just sublime. I plan on hitting those nights this winter to make up for my absence last year.
    Training for Alpental

K2 ski package sold.

Story on NPR this morning is saying MHM will introduce 'dynamic' lift ticket prices that fluctuate daily based on demand. Thoughts on this?

2017/2018 ofishul orygun thread

I guess, from a pass holder perspective, it may affect me via size of weekend crowds, but I have no idea what any of the metrics are so it’s hard to form an opinion

I suppose it’s pretty good to maybe get a shot at $49 midweek tickets for regular folks

Here’s the blog post on it
    https://www.skihood.com/about-us/mea...ort-experience

Sounds like expensive pow days for non-pass holders. All the Vail resorts have already done this and it practically means needing to buy lift tix from their website upfront when going on planned trips, or paying outrageous prices at the window. But on the flip side, I’ve seen enough photos of weekend pow days at MHM, maybe this will improve the experience marginally.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Wow, this is awesome news for season pass holders but there are going to be a lot of pissed off PDX dooouuuches who don't know about it and have to pay $99 for a ticket on a weekend powder day. I look forward to witnessing the temper tantrums by the entitled assclowns.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    ^worst grooming though. On an icy night you can barely make it back to MHX without your teeth chattering out of your mouth. Groom at night is way better at Timberline and Skibowl has the best grooming on hood.
    That's what you get for going night skiing on a icy evening. Saying Skibowl has best of anything is kind of a reach with every lift being held together with bailing wire and duct tape. It's can be a fun hill when conditions are right but the terrain worth skiing is limited to the upper bowl and that lift is a giant piece of shit ready to derail at any moment.

Keep spreading the word!

My understanding is the lifts at Skibowl are re-purposed mining equipment and they were not meant to be ridden by people in the first place. Ride at your own risk. Also, you are right that the only skiing worth terrain is in the upper bowl. People were fools when they originally built two separate ski areas there. Back then it was like trial and error people just liked to build shit for no good reason. Fools!

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    That's what you get for going night skiing on a icy evening. Saying Skibowl has best of anything is kind of a reach with every lift being held together with bailing wire and duct tape. It's can be a fun hill when conditions are right but the terrain worth skiing is limited to the upper bowl and that lift is a giant piece of shit ready to derail at any moment.