Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Windy.com (you can pull up the same underlying info meteorologists are looking at). There's a "new snow" feature. The 10 day view isn't the most reliable but damn...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that. I did not have that in my links!

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Boom goes Oregon
    Glorious! I bet it was fabulous to be back out there. My dream, aside from getting many turns like this over the course of the season is to ride with you and capture something like this of me! I have no photos remotely approaching this kind of thing of me! If I had one, you'd see less cubicle jockey snow dream\predictions from me on this forum. I'd be busy staring at this kind a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by interloper View Post
    First turns in pow for the opener. Exceptional. Oh and Rhonda Shelby is the top Meteorologist in PDX.
    Uh you're both wrong. Matt Zaffino for the motherfucking win.

i tend to lean toward zaffino too

If you are interested in weather in this area, checkout the blog then get back to me!!!

^^^Jeez, get back to work slacker!

Any of you Oregon mags ski much in SOUTHERN Oregon? I'm going to be spending a good bit of time in Ashland at my parent's place over xmas and am looking for beta on Mt Mcloughlin, Crater Lake, and anything within 1-1.5 hour drive of Ashland?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ^^^Jeez, get back to work slacker!
    Busted. And you are just basing this off my day's post count. What you don't know is I took a long lunch and picked up a new pair of boots. (To my surprise, last years model was available in the boot I liked, and saved myself 200...) The boots I'd been on for the last few years were my entry level\cheap ski boots to get me back on two planks, to help the little guy. Little did I know my love for two planks would come back. It was time to step it up to stiffer boots, and a better fit. This is a long winded way of saying...watch out. The allusive smooth carve is incoming this year!!!!!!!!

When does meadows open?

guessing MHM is targeting thanksgiving
    but as of today, they haven't started winter prep and are still allowing people to skin up inbounds

Quote Originally Posted by hofman View Post
    When does meadows open?
    I remember reading in one of their emails they were shooting for the 24th (Friday after thanksgiving) but can't find it anywhere on the website.

It's on their "hours" calendar. First day shows as day after Thanksgiving. 9pm hours scheduled for mid December.

If they get even half the snow in the 10 day forecast, it won't be a problem. They could probably open next weekend if they're ready. If they are, then so am I! Thanksgiving dinner will be LATE too.

You don’t me to make you look good, baby cakes.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Agreed. All it takes is vintage Sonics gear and a rockin beard.

I think Tap gives Alport a run for his money

Lol about the TV weather forecasts. I read all the data on the web but I still like watching the weather on TV. Zaffino is a backcountry ski bro so props for that, I'd love to take a safety break with that guy. Don't watch channel 2 much at all but some of my co-workers swear by Rhonda.
    Nelson is my local weather guy. He's from Mt. Angel, I'm from Silverton. Marja Martinez is pretty new on 12 but I like her delivery and she seems enthusiastic about the snow.

Think I'm going to go ahead an put my studless snow tires on tonight. Was debating it to "save my tires" but then I decided that just one dinger in the parking lot is way more $ than a new set of tires.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Lol about the TV weather forecasts. I read all the data on the web but I still like watching the weather on TV. Zaffino is a backcountry ski bro so props for that, I'd love to take a safety break with that guy. Don't watch channel 2 much at all but some of my co-workers swear by Rhonda.
    Nelson is my local weather guy. He's from Mt. Angel, I'm from Silverton. Marja Martinez is pretty new on 12 but I like her delivery and she seems enthusiastic about the snow.

Think I'm going to go ahead an put my studless snow tires on tonight. Was debating it to "save my tires" but then I decided that just one dinger in the parking lot is way more $ than a new set of tires.
    just did my tires last night and i have a leak!

Greasy this morning on the high desert. 97 shut down for a few hrs, cars in the ditch. Nothing new. Filthy rumor going around town....Bachelor may open weekends only till turkey day.
    yepper

Good time to talk about tires! How sketch do the passes get here during warm-then-freezing events? Are any passes particularly better than others? I think this season I'll be playing round robin between all the main ski areas this winter ... Willamette Pass, Santiam Pass, Bach/Broken Top area, random trips to Meadows even, depending on snow levels & conditions.

I've got my choice between pretty good all-seasons and studded snows, and wondering myself when I should throw the studs on. (The only reason I'm on studs is because I got em used for $100 for the set with 0.25" of tread on them, couldn't turn that down). Also funny that studs are only legal through 3/31 here vs 4/30 in California, though OR passes are definitely in better shape than CA passes.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by interloper View Post
    Filthy rumor going around town....Bachelor may open weekends only till turkey day.
    At the risk of alerting my other boss to the lack of output at work (TBS) I must say...I support this rumor!!! Please!!! There will be good enough coverage, I bet it comes down to having the workforce in place!!!!

I'll keep you posted on the filthy rumor. As far as pass conditions it depends on weather patterns and your destination verse travel time. You can make good time over Govy if ya hit it right. Good or bad it looks like a near repeat of last years weather. Now get back to work.
    yepper

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Good time to talk about tires! How sketch do the passes get here during warm-then-freezing events? Are any passes particularly better than others? I think this season I'll be playing round robin between all the main ski areas this winter ... Willamette Pass, Santiam Pass, Bach/Broken Top area, random trips to Meadows even, depending on snow levels & conditions.

I've got my choice between pretty good all-seasons and studded snows, and wondering myself when I should throw the studs on. (The only reason I'm on studs is because I got em used for $100 for the set with 0.25" of tread on them, couldn't turn that down). Also funny that studs are only legal through 3/31 here vs 4/30 in California, though OR passes are definitely in better shape than CA passes.
    Glare ice is uncommon on major passes but it definitely happens. I've personally never seen anything in terms of ice that couldn't be overcome by slowing down (assuming snowflake tires).

All that having been said, you might as well take every advantage you can get within reason.

One "great" thing about Oregon is that you can usually trust other drivers to give you a heads-up about traction issues--preferably without getting too close.

Post script-Heard ODOT was going to use salt this Winter.
    yepper

Thanks. I'm used to glare ice on Sierra passes, much stronger diurnal cycles. But Caltrans sands and plows so quickly it's rare to need amazing tires except right during a big dump.

My all-seasons aren't snowflake rated, just standard M+S touring tires by Yoko with relatively new tread depth. My only reasons to wait on bolting on the snow tires are road noise and dry handling at highway speeds, not premature wear. Studs are LOUD!

I'm thinking I'm gonna ditch the studs after this winter and get snowflake rated AT's, like the BFG T/A KO2 ... probably just enough bite to do fine on Oregon roads in the winter while being more useful for the plethora of washed out FS roads in Oregon.

(edit, BFG not Bridgestone)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Thanks. I'm used to glare ice on Sierra passes, much stronger diurnal cycles. But Caltrans sands and plows so quickly it's rare to need amazing tires except right during a big dump.

My all-seasons aren't snowflake rated, just standard M+S touring tires by Yoko with relatively new tread depth. My only reasons to wait on bolting on the snow tires are road noise and dry handling at highway speeds, not premature wear. Studs are LOUD!

I'm thinking I'm gonna ditch the studs after this winter and get snowflake rated AT's, like the BFG T/A KO2 ... probably just enough bite to do fine on Oregon roads in the winter while being more useful for the plethora of washed out FS roads in Oregon.

(edit, BFG not Bridgestone)
    You can't go wrong with ko2's. I thought they were an over hyped tire, but there's a reason. I bought them as a 3 season tire and I might not take them off this year. We'll see.

My nokian hak8 studs aren't much louder. The noise almost disappears at freeway speeds.