Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    That's very credible
    If only there was something to measure it's size or am I wrong?
    So difficult to tell how big or small it is. I got this pic second hand, but heard the guy is sending it off to the State to get a professional opinion.

We have lions on our cam all the time. I'm all but positive that is one.

Had a bear on a cam yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    We have lions on our cam all the time. I'm all but positive that is one.

Had a bear on a cam yesterday.
    Are they night or day time? If night can you post any similar to what jackstraw posted

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    There is no mistaking a mountain lion. They are fucking HUGE. It's like seeing a lion from the zoo out walking around. Crazy.

Buddy and I were out about 8 or 9 years ago driving around being stupid north of Wolcott, CO on 131. Probably 2am on a weeknight in the summer, headed south going back to Vail. That road is EMPTY late at night.

We round the bend and there is a giant cat tip toeing across the road. We pause and it heads into the trees. We drive another 300ft around the bend and there is this car dead on the side of the road, no lights at all and this drunk guy in the dark with his thumb out.

Turns out he got kicked out of some party up on the river and said fuck it and "borrowed" some girls car to go home. Well the little old honda kicked the bucket and he said he had waited almost 2 hours for someone to come by. He hadn't seen a single car that whole time and was just sitting on the hood of the car by himself waiting.

No doubt in my mind that cat was circling the guy. 2 hours with no cars passing by, no engines running, and no lights at all. Dude would have been attacked. I'm sure of it.

^Drunk dudes make great kitty snax @2am. Yeah 131 is definitely the dead zone late at night, my roommates Spitfire got a flat south of Oak Creek when we were going home from a show in Vail and we were both sketched out to get out and fix it being completely unarmed.

Anyone watch America the Wild with Casey Anderson ?
    He did an episode called Stalking the Mountain Lion.
    It's worth watching. I watched it twice

https://video.nationalgeographic.com...4-be7718470000
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Timely bump. A friend in the Catskills (NY) sent this to me early today...

40 years ago I use to deer hunt near Deposit NY along route 17. Black bear was our only concern. With all the white tail deer i'm not surprised they made a comeback.

To Deposit we shalll return......

Name:  6FC818D3-9D4B-4751-AE10-EA996293021F.jpeg
Views: 513
Size:  29.8 KB

this ain’t no fuckin’ picnic......

Had a neighbor used to hunt that area 40 years ago. He had a camp there and knew all the deer so he usually got his buck in the first hour. Then he'd hunt the bars for women the rest of the week before coming home to his wife and kids.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    To Deposit we shalll return......

Name:  6FC818D3-9D4B-4751-AE10-EA996293021F.jpeg
Views: 513
Size:  29.8 KB

this ain’t no fuckin’ picnic......
    Times are a changing. That town didn't have much going for back then. The locals didn't like us much or should I say the men. Their women would party with us which didn't help the situation.
    We use stay at this Norwegian lodge with this circular open fireplace that was something I'll never forget.

BTW route 10 out of Deposit once was rated as the 10 best roads in America by Car & Driver. Very scenic until you hit a plateau and covered by trees is a cop shop with a radar gun pointed in both directions. That's some gorgeous country and the drive was worth it.
    I miss those trips.

So how crazy does it get? Do tell

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Had a neighbor used to hunt that area 40 years ago. He had a camp there and knew all the deer so he usually got his buck in the first hour. Then he'd hunt the bars for women the rest of the week before coming home to his wife and kids.
    Were any of them in the disposal or pizzeria business ?
    I bet it was the same pool hall/bar we picked most of our "coyotes" as they were called.

Don't know the particulars. He had a case a day beer habit and we moved shortly after he chased his wife around the yard waving a pistol. He gave his wife a 20lb box of laundry detergent once for her birthday so he wasn't all bad. Not making this up.

We have a LOT of lions that hang the edges of my neighborhood in the PNW but I never see them. The local Game managers have tracked them with collars. A lot of house cats go missing in the summer. An elk walked through the garden last night and raccoons got in the neighbors garbage again. It's an interesting place. Edge of the wilderness.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Can't see any reason they wouldn't re-colonize the east. Plenty of prey, plenty of habitat. State Wildlife agencies just don't want people freaking out so they're denying it, hoping they can get to retirement age before they have to deal with it. They used to say there were no coyotes for years, for the same reasons I suspect, and now they're all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Can't see any reason they wouldn't re-colonize the east. Plenty of prey, plenty of habitat. State Wildlife agencies just don't want people freaking out so they're denying it, hoping they can get to retirement age before they have to deal with it. They used to say there were no coyotes for years, for the same reasons I suspect, and now they're all over the place.
    Wolves have been like that 'round these parts. They recently had what appears to be an undeniable sighting of a radio-collared wolf recently.

Grizzly bears are probably not too terribly far behind...

Wolf coyote hybrids are real, in fact, there are no pure coyotes left in the East. They were pushed out, some went north and interbred with the eastern wolf population in northern Qc, and made their way back south. The genetics are conclusive and beyond reproach. The farther south you go in the east, the more K9 DNA is present. the Coy-wolf has a larger head and is generally larger. More importantly, they will adopt hunting tactics of their cousins the wolf and pack hunt when times are tough, like in winter, and take large game like deer, moose, and people.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiY1WjGSNjs
    Deposit NY is some of the best trout fishing East of the big muddy...been spooled more than once on the upper Del.

...and PEOPLE! Kill 'em all!

The people I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Wolf coyote hybrids are real, in fact, there are no pure coyotes left in the East. They were pushed out, some went north and interbred with the eastern wolf population in northern Qc, and made their way back south. The genetics are conclusive and beyond reproach. The farther south you go in the east, the more K9 DNA is present. the Coy-wolf has a larger head and is generally larger. More importantly, they will adopt hunting tactics of their cousins the wolf and pack hunt when times are tough, like in winter, and take large game like deer, moose, and people.
    Deposit NY is some of the best trout fishing East of the big muddy...been spooled more than once on the upper Del.
    I’ve seen 2, 40-50 lb “coyotes” in my yard in the last couple years. I’m no animal expert but these were much bigger than any coyote I’ve seen. One got within 100 ft of me last summer while I was mowing the lawn, it wasn’t aggressive, just strolling around. My ex-marine neighbor is hell bent on shooting the one we saw last month.

Definitely concerning.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

ay! lobos

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    When I watched the Doc on the people killed by these hybrids it was something I didn't think happens with wolves and coyotes. Dogs yes.
    We had a wild dog problem about 35 years ago in an area known as King Township north of Toronto. The dogs were only killing livestock so it wasn't made public. Knowing a few of the farmers is how we found out. I was more fearful of wild dogs then any coyote but I'm surprised they never mixed. They are still small around here. Actually watched 3 of them take down a rabbit from my back window with a couple about a 100 feet away walking down the street. That was 2 years ago.

As for the Trout fishing in Deposit I never knew that. Was it always like that or was some restocking program initiated? I really have to take a drive back one day. I wonder if Courtland county is still a shitshow for State Troopers and speeding tickets ?

yes.

yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    yes.

yes it is.
    Alrighty then. Good to know.

Mountain Lions in New England

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    As for the Trout fishing in Deposit I never knew that. Was it always like that or was some restocking program initiated? I really have to take a drive back one day. I wonder if Courtland county is still a shitshow for State Troopers and speeding tickets ?
    My dad is 61, been fishing up there his whole life. Dave wasn’t kidding when he said it is some of the best trout fishing you’ll find on the east coast. Probably what turned me into a dry fly snob. They do stock but there are plenty of wild fish too. One of the craziest parts of that river system to me is how far the striped bass migrate. There have been absolute slabs caught in confluence of the east and west branch in Hancock.

On the mtn lion topic, I’ve been told they didn’t want to acknowledge the species due to insurance issues. Big cats are notorious for getting hit by cars, just ask Florida. I have no idea how legit that is and it doesn’t even really make sense to me but have heard that from numerous people in Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    My dad is 61, been fishing up there his whole life. Dave wasn’t kidding when he said it is some of the best trout fishing you’ll find on the east coast. Probably what turned me into a dry fly snob. They do stock but there are plenty of wild fish too. One of the craziest parts of that river system to me is how far the striped bass migrate. There have been absolute slabs caught in confluence of the east and west branch in Hancock.

On the mtn lion topic, I’ve been told they didn’t want to acknowledge the species due to insurance issues. Big cats are notorious for getting hit by cars, just ask Florida. I have no idea how legit that is and it doesn’t even really make sense to me but have heard that from numerous people in Hancock.
    Having Trout and Bass in the same river is an anglers paradise. I used to mostly go for Salmon and Trout on river banks but never turned down the opportunity to go Bass fishing.
    When I retire I'll get back into it. All the local placed here are over fished and over crowded so fishing now is a ful day event.
    How busy does it get in an around Hancock ?