Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I know some folks who think they've seen mountain lions around Conway.

I saw one recently on a long trail run I finished at night. It was right at the edge of town in Boulder. I'd already passed several deer whose eyes were lit up by my headlamp so I didn't think much of the big green eyes staring at me until I moved up the trail to a place where I could see the silhouette of the cat head against the sky. Less than a hundred feet away. It was terrifying. Huge. I backed up while making a racket, as one is supposed to, then ran like a fucking cheetah as a soon as I'd put some distance between us. Running anywhere at night still feels different than it did before. I hear a skittering beetle and I react like it's a fucking rattlesnake.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

I saw one recently on a long trail run I finished at night. It was right at the edge of town in Boulder. I'd already passed several deer whose eyes were lit up by my headlamp so I didn't think much of the big green eyes staring at me until I moved up the trail to a place where I could see the silhouette of the cat head against the sky. Less than a hundred feet away. It was terrifying. Huge. I backed up while making a racket, as one is supposed to, then ran like a fucking cheetah as a soon as I'd put some distance between us. Running anywhere at night still feels different than it did before. I hear a skittering beetle and I react like it's a fucking rattlesnake.
    There are a shit ton of them in the canyon behind my house. I definitely don't like being back there solo after dusk. The 11 year old obese dog and the 13 year old arthritic dog don't lessen the feeling of unease, either.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

Cool story bro but we are talking about eastern mountain lions. They are way sneakier than those western pussies.

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    (rumor has it she was there for deep dish and sushi)
    Attachment 212443
    FIFY

Probably a yellow lab. Was it wearing a collar?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

^^^ First time I saw a Cougar that's what I thought.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by kim jong un View Post
    Probably a yellow lab. Was it wearing a collar?
    rhinestone

[QUOTE=From_the_NEK;5104194]Cool story bro but we are talking about eastern mountain lions. They are way sneakier than those western pussies.

That's true if you're talking about coyotes.

That Heart of a Lion book was great and yea proves they are around new england at least occasionally'

Also anyone into mtn lions/ cougars the book "Beast in the Garden" is a good read- about mtn lions repopulating the Boulder, CO area and wreaking havoc. Kind of spooky read but super interesting/ riveting
    skid luxury

Mountain Lions in New England

b-bear is opening a book club today. lol

haha yes I am a nerd. figured you all knew that already
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    That Heart of a Lion book was great and yea proves they are around new england at least occasionally'

Also anyone into mtn lions/ cougars the book "Beast in the Garden" is a good read- about mtn lions repopulating the Boulder, CO area and wreaking havoc. Kind of spooky read but super interesting/ riveting
    Sounds spooky...I think I would be terrified to hike alone in Boulder if I read that.

yea I have taken to carrying bear spray and a river knife with me when I run/hike alone -
    I know I'd probably get attacked from behind before I even knew it was there, but I feel comforted by knowing I could *try* to defend myself with one big, sharp, manufactured tooth.
    have never seen one in person where I live but they are all over. Got at least 1 new grey hair after watching this Nat Geo Wild program of mtn lions in the wild around a bunch of the places I frequent
    Now I can actually picture it
    Maybe I'll start golfing
    skid luxury

In the Sundarbans, in India, there are still a lot of tigers. Tigers also prefer to attack from behind so many of the locals wear long hats with faces painted on the backs, so the tiger thinks they're facing it and theoretically won't attack.

edit: Here ya go. NYTimes claims it worked in '89 at least. http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/05/sc...s.html?mcubz=1
    Pretty sure I remembered the article from when it came out, yikes .

It's a bizopp for some hippie here in the U.S. I'd say. Knitting face hats for people who go in the woods a lot.

Lynx population has made a nice rebound in Northern Maine and are driving the bobcat South.

Had a couple guys with a lot more time in the woods than me tell me to my face they have seen mountain lions.

Will be interesting to see which one the mountain lions or the wolves are the first to set up a permanent population in NE

someone on etsy must be making those-
    yea I recall reading about that in one of those mtn lion books too- how funny yet simple- and hey if it works even once that's a pretty big win
    skid luxury

I think wolves would have a hard time outcompeting eastern Coyotes except maybe way in the north.

wolves and mountain lions do not get along out out here in greater yellowstone region
    mortal enemies as one would generalize
    skid luxury

^^^ This is why Mountain Lions have become emboldened, and aren't afraid of dogs. Author of Beast in the Garden goes into this.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

for sure- higly rec both books- learned so much

also would edit to say I haven't seen one in person on accident
    have seen them thru spotting scopes from my neighbor's house as well as one other time on elk refuge
    My preferred way to see them for sure!
    skid luxury

I read a mountain lion book...Charlie the Lonesome Cougar.

It was also a movie.

We have tons of them here in the hills of soCal. Seems like everybody but me has seen them, and I spend more time out hiking and running then all of them combined. We even get reverse 911 calls about a lioness and kittens denned up near our house, but still never see them.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    have seen them...on elk refuge
    I hope they let them know that's supposed to be a safe place for the elk.

ha! there are pretty much too many elk so yea they hang out there sometimes for the "fast food drive thru"
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I hope they let them know that's supposed to be a safe place for the elk.
    #safespace
    #triggered

but the funny thing is that spook is not spooky
    skid luxury