Carbon frame damage

So this is my v1 Bronson. Love the bike and want to ride it for another few years at least. But the gouges on my carbon frame are a concern, these are on the rear triangle side. I've been covering them with carbon tape but that only does so much. Should I be concerned? Similar gouges on the far side you can't see.

I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I have a thread where my 5010 has similiar (worse) damage right on the same knuckle. A search should do it.
    I put a cap of urethane-epoxy on it and ride the shit out of it.

Don't worry too much about it, I've had carbon frames with bigger hits. Cover it with epoxy and ride on.

Thanks! So... yeah, epoxy seems a hell of a lot more useful than some tape.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

funny, I was wondering where I read this thread before....

Now I don't know, but from FSAE, I would guess that those bearing mounts are aluminum reinforced on the inside, so you probably don't have much of an issue. What the hell is carbon tape btw? Epoxy is the only way to go - get some high quality stuff from 3M too, though it probably isn't necessary. In that area, it probably will only help with preventing more damage, not any structural benefit.

Buy one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Santa-Cruz-B...cAAMXQs6FRLP9l

Or buy a $4 sheet of ABS and make one (or several) yourself with a dremel. I'd done mastic tape in the past and a hard rock strike proved that to be insufficient protection. With the ABS, I've had one or two really hard rock strikes and plenty of smaller ones. You can hardly tell looking at the bike, or even at the plastic plate, for that matter.

As another data point, I had to have my rear triangle on my Tallboy repaired recently. I have damage similar to what are showing (a little worse) and I asked the repair shop to check it. They stated that they are a lot of abuse in that area and that it is not worth the repair. That area is plenty strong.

Seth

Yer gonna die.

Send it to me for proper disposal.

Not a biggy IMO you can smear a little epoxy on the hit but its not gona do much, If I owned one of those SC I would zap strap a chunk of plastic down there like in the pict somebody posted
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I bought one of those Rockguardz from the other thread for my hightower. The strip of whatever comes on it has done it's job, but it was time to replace it.
    https://www.rockguardz.com/rockguardz.html

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    As another data point, I had to have my rear triangle on my Tallboy repaired recently. I have damage similar to what are showing (a little worse) and I asked the repair shop to check it. They stated that they are a lot of abuse in that area and that it is not worth the repair. That area is plenty strong.

Seth
    Yeah, my bike mechanic just told me the same. It's fine, don't worry about it.

Dude, EVOL air can for your shock and -1 angleset up front. 2 best things you can do for that bike, I promise - more valuable than when we were chatting about going to 1x.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Meh. I just put a PIKE on up front and that made a HUGE difference compared to the sektor gold front fork. I already made the bike 1 degree more slack. The rear shock difference would be nothing in comparison. I'll probably put another year or two in on it, then get a monarch or something.