Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Activated charcoal for hangovers?

Anyone try it? Does it work? Ms. C. tried it this weekend and said she wasn't hungover the next day but I doubt she drank enough to push a hangover...she rarely does. Me on the other hand, this could be HUDGE!

Why hangover when you can Hang-ON !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Doesn't make any sense. Once you are drunk the booze is already in your blood and it will be too late.

works for cancer and autoimmune disease, why wouldn't it cure a hangover?

Seems kinda chokey.

Might work if you take it before drinking, or while drinking and everything is still in your GI tract. Once the alcohol and all its nasty little toxins are absorbs, you are shit out of luck.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The only real remedy is gallons of water.

A hangover headache is from dehydration.

Try it.

Next time you're bombed, spend 15 minutes drinking as much water as you can stomach before passing out.

Yes, it will require multiple pee passes in the night. But it works.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Activated charcoal is a chelating agent that is designed to neutralize metal toxins. Not sure if/why metals would be associated with a hangover.

activated charcoal helps absorb the toxins in you system. My Dad had food poisoning from some chicken he ate and long story shot I gave 2 pills and 45 +- minutes later he was well enough to drive home.
    The only caveat is too much will strip your body of vital minerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Try it.

Next time you're bombed, spend 15 minutes drinking as much water as you can stomach before passing out.

Yup. Throw a couple of aspirins in the mix and you're good to go. Was my college go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Try it.

This is the correct advice. The twelve years I've lived in Aspen have been some of my worst hangovers because at this altitude you are constantly on the verge of dehydration. Every time I visit family in VA or trip to more tropical, humid climates I can drink to the verge of blackout and the hangover is fraction of what it would be up here. Two Advil and gallons of water (or pedialite) pre-pass out is the only way to stay ahead of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Activated Charcoal binds poorly to heavy metals, and is not indicated in for use in heavy metal poisoning of the Gi tract. ... it also binds poorly alcohols, so its not indicated for intoxication either.

Its effects are limited to 1hr post poison ingestion, but for substance that AC does react with, you may as well give it a go.... even if you are past the 1hr window..because the potential risk/harm from AC is minimal.

Food poisoning was not likely the cause of your fathers symptoms.... and even if it was, AC is not going to remove e coli, or other causative organisms from his intestinal tract. ... and the pills available over the counter are generally less that 300 mg, the standard dose for AC related to poisoning is atleast 50 g.. so you could pop that entire bottle of pills without worry of creating any imbalances.

AC is fad, its a waste of your time and money. Although, I am sure that there is a placebo benefit to it , and the risk associated with its use is near nil.
    This. If you really binge it up and take AC it will make you impossible to intubate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Food poisoning was not likely the cause of your fathers symptoms.... and even if it was, AC is not going to remove e coli, or other causative organisms from his intestinal tract. ... and the pills available over the counter are generally less that 300 mg, the standard dose for AC related to poisoning is atleast 50 g.. so you could pop that entire bottle of pills without worry of creating any imbalances.

AC is fad, its a waste of your time and money. Although, I am sure that there is a placebo benefit to it , and the risk associated with its use is near nil.
    Right. Sure. It wasn't the under cooked chicken it was something else and the two pills didn't work because you say so.
    Go spew your big Pharma propaganda elsewhere because it works

They took off the selves in Ontario because it was working all too well. Luckily I can still get in Quebec.

Yeah, water mixed in through the night of drinking, a bunch before bed and I'm usually good. Sometimes some Advil and pedialite in the morning if we go deep. Maybe a bowl. Looking for the next level shit here but looks like the same old game...either acting my age or chasing chicken fried steak with country gravy for brunch.

If I'm really planning, I find drinking a bunch of water before the alcohol helps a lot.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Anyone try it? Does it work? Ms. C. tried it this weekend and said she wasn't hungover the next day but I doubt she drank enough to push a hangover...she rarely does. Me on the other hand, this could be HUDGE!
    Digitaldeath suggests it by enema
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

HotButtMud must be a hudge fan. Maybe he's even a spancer.

Old Spaniards use to say a shot of olive oil before drinking helps prevent the nasty hangovers.

Pedialyte. It's not just for drunk infants anymore.

Russians believe a small piece of fatty food with each drink keeps you good.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Russians believe a small piece of fatty food with each drink keeps you good.
    They also think vodka cures infections, stomach aches, joint pain, hernias, cleft lip, etc.

Activated charcoal for hangovers?

I go to my Aunt's for an IV.

Otherwise it's crack an orange pedialyte, drink 7 ounces
    Add:
    4 ounces of luksusowa
    3 ground Advil
    1 packet of Emergen-C
    1 ground ativan
    1 raw egg
    Top with V8
    Follow with indica to taste

This is reserved for the most dire of situations. And don't fall asleep after. You want to keep breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Right. Sure. It wasn't the under cooked chicken it was something else and the two pills didn't work because you say so.
    Go spew your big Pharma propaganda elsewhere because it works

They took off the selves in Ontario because it was working all too well. Luckily I can still get in Quebec.
    Big pharma? How about science. Id love to see a single study or even an explanation of how activated charcoal would do anything to the bugs that cause "food poisoning". Please explain what would possibly make AC a wonder drug. Its burnt wood.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Big pharma? How about science. Id love to see a single study or even an explanation of how activated charcoal would do anything to the bugs that cause "food poisoning". Please explain what would possibly make AC a wonder drug. Its burnt wood.
    Unless you have used it you will never know it's benefits. Why would any study sponsored by Big Pharma ever give it credit. I trust my experience with this amazing substance.
    Charcoal has been used for centuries to purify water so why wouldn't help do the same when ingesting bad food or drink.
    If you haven't used it how will you ever know?
    The day we get unbiased science is the day Big Phama starts to lose billions and that will never happen.