Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talk me out of DPS RPC's

Looking for a touring ski for soft snow. Dynafit mount. Replacing wailer 112's which were too turny and unstable at speed for me.

I like to ski big open terrain fast. I like to ski trees, fast. I have a pair of praxis concepts that weigh like 1900g that do both of those things well, but don't surf like a pow ski in the backcountry should.

I don't like turning as much in the trees as the old wailers did - they wanted to make full turns rather than just toe steering between trees or open slarving them. I like 25 - 35m radius, probably not full-reverse but maybe. I did enjoy making hippy turns once every few weeks on the wailers, but will trade that in for stability. Ideally a blend of the two - something I can smear hippy turns on, but won't chatter at 60mph in the alpine

Other shit I'm considering - skiing the concepts, which are not yet mounted with a brand new pair of plum's. Buying bibby tours. Shelling out for lotus 124's / older 120's (new ones are red though so duhh). Waiting til spring and custom ordering gpo's in an ultralight setup with veneer.

Sounds like you need some Billy Goats (the touring version). Or those Bibby tours you mentioned.

If that Down presale got extended get some CD114s in a 189, lightweight version or not I think that ticks all your boxes at a way more reasonable price than anything DPS

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Sounds like you need some Billy Goats (the touring version). Or those Bibby tours you mentioned.
    Anyone around tahoe demo bg's? Never been on them personally...

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    If that Down presale got extended get some CD114s in a 189, lightweight version or not I think that ticks all your boxes at a way more reasonable price than anything DPS
    Yeah anything is cheaper than dps. Found a decent price used, which brought on the urge...

Hadn't considered down, guess there are enough local-ish ski makers that I wanted to keep it in the watershed. I'm guessing the 519 british pounds their charging is the sale price?

I think they are in EUR, there is a group-buy thread in GS though with all the deets

Buy my 192 atlas on GS

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Buy my 192 atlas on GS
    Tempting. But if I'm gonna lug a 192, 125mm ski up a few thousand feet, I want tail rocker at a minimum. Best of luck with the sale, though... Soft snow touring ski is the one thing I'm picky about, as when it's good it's soooo good

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Tempting. But if I'm gonna lug a 192, 125mm ski up a few thousand feet, I want tail rocker at a minimum. Best of luck with the sale, though... Soft snow touring ski is the one thing I'm picky about, as when it's good it's soooo good
    Sho nuff

I own RPC Hybrid 186 and Powderworks Lotus 124 in 185. Both are good skis. If you're getting a lot of fresh snow its no question the 124. It would surprise many doubters on these pages with it's versatility. 2" of fresh on groomers; if you can rip -- those 124's will perform like any notorious 100-110ish waist. For me I got 85-90% of the RPC muscle in a lighter weight package that was much more maneuverable yet larger. That being said I have an Billy Goat order on the way and will sell RPC. Love the Lotus 124 and about to buy a 191 and sell my 185 PW Blue edition.

Didn't love the RPC. I think what you want is a 189 L120 spoon....or maybe a Praxis Quixote in enduro+carbon.

Down CD114L seems like a good bet as well, especially for the price but you might be late for the group buy and they may not surf any better than the Concepts.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Agree on the CD114L. Got in on that. Supposedly light and burly..

I had the shinny topskin wailer 112 and I like them But I truly loved the red Lotus 120's so much I have 2 pair in both sizes and I got em both real cheap but looking at the S/N I'm pretty sure they are 2011 models

so find something like them that is newer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

After reading this thread, I am second guessing my recent score on some new 189 alchemist whalers for the bc.
    I am a pretty big kid at 230 pounds and somewhat of a powerful skier. I like to ski fast and have been on Katana's and shiro's for the last few year and flat out love the Katana's as my everyday boards.
    I am thinking these might be way to turny and too soft.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I had the shinny topskin wailer 112 and I like them But I truly loved the red Lotus 120's so much I have 2 pair in both sizes and I got em both real cheap but looking at the S/N I'm pretty sure they are 2011 models

so find something like them that is newer
    That's what i'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by danadog View Post
    After reading this thread, I am second guessing my recent score on some new 189 alchemist whalers for the bc.
    I am a pretty big kid at 230 pounds and somewhat of a powerful skier. I like to ski fast and have been on Katana's and shiro's for the last few year and flat out love the Katana's as my everyday boards.
    I am thinking these might be way to turny and too soft.
    Alchemist construction supposed to be more damp and not much weight trade off. It really is a fun ski in the backcountry. I found myself making some pretty crazy high-angle turns in trees on these - they really do have a unique combination of turniness and strange dampness. But it's not the dampness you want maching gs turns in the alpine or toe-steering through trees at 40mph

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Second this. They are plenty surfy and floaty for me. The regular version is quite stable and the light version is only supposed to give up a little stability for a solid weight reduction.
    If you can find some used lotus 120s those would be perfect for you. Tons of tip rocker and very floaty. Some 138s give up versatility but are an amazing pow ski.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

IME the wailer at least the earlier wailer is truly a dentist ski, so I found it great for lots of small turns of the turning radius DPS advertises but I couldnt keep up to my buddy the doctor on a set of stokes with a bigger turning radius
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    Second this. They are plenty surfy and floaty for me. The regular version is quite stable and the light version is only supposed to give up a little stability for a solid weight reduction.
    If you can find some used lotus 120s those would be perfect for you. Tons of tip rocker and very floaty. Some 138s give up versatility but are an amazing pow ski.
    Talk to me about skiing trees on the cd114's. Wondering how they will do for my storm-day spots

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    IME the wailer at least the earlier wailer is truly a dentist ski, so I found it great for lots of small turns of the turning radius DPS advertises but I couldnt keep up to my buddy the doctor on a set of stokes with a bigger turning radius
    Wholeheartedly agree. Pretty sure they made me worse at skiing hahaha

I think DPS has too much rocker in the 112 and honestly, even in the current 120 design. Yeah, too turny. And flops at speed. Maybe a 120 in a flex 3?

I wrote DPS a few times about it. But by now they're inundated with digidebris.

I really, really liked the old black lotus 120s, just a sweet bit of rocker, pintail stiff and does the long honker slash really well but the flat camber made slick tight turns a breeze.

see my sig.

I'm going to give the Down Ski CD114 a try since it looks similar to what the old black 120s do.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah anything is cheaper than dps. Found a decent price used, which brought on the urge...

Hadn't considered down, guess there are enough local-ish ski makers that I wanted to keep it in the watershed. I'm guessing the 519 british pounds their charging is the sale price?
    No, it's Euros.

See here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-U-S-Group-Buy

I'm, liking the reasonable rocker and relatively flat camber.

Now, as far as that VR17 color combo...
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Alchemist construction supposed to be more damp and not much weight trade off. It really is a fun ski in the backcountry. I found myself making some pretty crazy high-angle turns in trees on these - they really do have a unique combination of turniness and strange dampness. But it's not the dampness you want maching gs turns in the alpine or toe-steering through trees at 40mph
    Thanks. I think I will mount them and give um a try.
    Fingers crossed.

I hated Wailer 112's. Loved Lotus 120's. Now I'm hooked on GPO's. The tips don't float as automatically as the DPS, but they are much better at everything else. Unlike Lotus 120's or Wailers, or a ski like the Cochise (all of which are very good at some things and suck at others), GPO's will make any turn shape you know how to make with less compromise than I thought was possible. You can steer through medium radius turn to scrub speed (the sort of turns a Cochise is good at, if you've ever tried a pair). They have a enough tail that you can pop off of it to snap out quick turns (which a Cochise is terrible at but Lotus 120's could manage), but they're loose enough to pivot in all sorts of snow. I bought 182 UL's in flex 3 (8 lbs) from a friend to use as a pow touring ski. Used them a few times in resorts when they were all I had on hand, and couldn't believe how competent they were. So I picked up some 187's with the standard layup in flex 4 (9 lbs).

I haven't skied RPC's, but the shape looks to be more along the lines of a GPO/Billy Goat/CD114.

That said, I don't really understand what DPS is doing in terms of construction. They've been adding weight to try to improve the feels of the skis. Meanwhile, small brands like Praxis and Down, despite far better prices and far less hype, make some very light skis that have a better feel than any DPS I've tried (which is none in the last few years, to be fair). Volkl, Blizzard and G3 have made some excellent skis that are light and can be skied very hard. Fischer and Movement make some very light skis that don't suck. Heck, Voiles weigh less than a lot of DPS and there is nothing fancy about Voile. I've heard the tour1 construction is nothing special. Am I missing something?

^^ artsy as fuck description of the gpo, black diamonds. copped a pair of 192's for cheap on craigslist the other day, heavier layup than I'd want in a touring ski but looking forward to getting on the