Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I believe thats a scam site..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Why is this version better? Serious question. The BG has always looked interesting but the new asymmetric design does not intrigue me. What is the best vintage if you like to drive your tips? What year should I be looking for?
    Doesn't matter. I haven't skied the asym version yet but I have skied the previous couple iterations. In terms of being able to drive the tips, they're all basically the same. The newer ones (pre-asym) were a bit better on hard snow but otherwise the same as the old ones. I personally don't think the asym design is going to change it much either. The BG has worked so well for so long that the changes have been minor tweaks rather than wholesale revisions.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    much like the 186 became the 184 after chopping 2cm off the tails, did the 191 become the 189 the same way?
    Mostly. It did get a couple mm narrower as well and there might have been some other minor shape tweaks. PowTron says it made a noticeable difference, I'm not sure if I believe him but I haven't actually skied the 189 to compare with the 191.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    http://salesportinggoods.com/product...Skis-2015.html

As betelgeuse said, known scam site.

Yeah, isn't there a short section of straight ski underfoot?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Doesn't matter. I haven't skied the asym version yet but I have skied the previous couple iterations. In terms of being able to drive the tips, they're all basically the same. The newer ones (pre-asym) were a bit better on hard snow but otherwise the same as the old ones. I personally don't think the asym design is going to change it much either. The BG has worked so well for so long that the changes have been minor tweaks rather than wholesale revisions.
    The Asym are better on hard-snow in my opinion. I have skied both. I have only skied Norsemans's RES 191s and Asym 189s. I have not skied any other variation (189 non-asym, 186/184, Tour Layup, auvgeek's 191 Stiff layup etc.) There was a major revision after the first(?) season on the 191s and after the 2nd season on the other sizes if I recall correctly?

Mostly. It did get a couple mm narrower as well and there might have been some other minor shape tweaks. PowTron says it made a noticeable difference, I'm not sure if I believe him but I haven't actually skied the 189 to compare with the 191.
    There isn't much of a difference. You might notice the width and I felt the construction on the 189s gave slightly better on snow "feel" but I skied them on different days, at different mountains, on different bindings, in different boots, during a different ski season with very different snow conditions.

I think the 193 SuperGoats will be noticeably "bigger" than the 184 and 189s and will probably push them toward being a "big snow/big terrain" ski unless you are heavy and tall or ski like a maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I'm too lazy to look up all the different exact years right now, but to my recollection there are four generations of RES Billygoat:

-first gen RES in 186 and 191, I think the 12/13 ski listed at the start of this thread was the first year. (I own these in 186, have skied the 191)
    -size change to 184 and 189, same basic shape (have skied this in 184)
    -addition of small straight sections of sidecut in the tip, improved hard snow performance. Forget when this started, only a year or two ago. (Have skied this in 184)
    -new asym design, that still includes the straight sidecut sections (have not skied this)

(Edit to add: there was a 191 RES BG the year prior to the "first gen" I listed above, but the entire size run wasn't RES so I didn't include it.)

I'm too lazy to look up all the different exact years right now, but to my recollection there are four generations of RES Billygoat:

-first gen RES in 186 and 191, I think the 12/13 ski listed at the start of this thread was the first year. (I own these in 186, have skied the 191)
    -addition of small straight sections of sidecut in the tip, improved hard snow performance. Forget when this started, only a year or two ago. (Have skied this in 184)
    -new asym design, that still includes the straight sidecut sections (have not skied this)

(Edit to add: there was a 191 RES BG the year prior to the "first gen" I listed above, but the entire size run wasn't RES so I didn't include it.)
    The skis listed for $4999.99 at the top of the thread are the "Pre-first gen" 191 BGs with RES. Great price for that model.

WTB: 191 On3p Billy Goat

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    unless you are heavy and tall or ski like a maniac.
    I am starting to worry a lil about that. I am 6'3" 215 nekkid and like to ski very fast when the terrain allows for it, most days at least. I don't huck anything over 20 feet in height, but like to ski at very high speeds and land long, more distance type airs in which my weight generates quite a lot of force.. And I'm going to be at Big Sky for a while.. I Don't have a lot of money, and if I am going to pay upwards of 6-7-800 dollars for another Billy Goat, I hope it to be a very significant change from what I already have. not just a little more, but a lot more. Owning a 191 Wren, a 193 Cease and Desist, and 189 BG, I am trying to think of when I would want to use the "supergoat". On gigantic days, certain 200cm plus DPS skis come to mind as more fitting.

I will 95% end up still buying it (timing specific, I hope it doesn't come out for another month at least, as I am not near anything I can sell to make up for it), but it doesn't really make sense for me, besides maybe buying it to avoid going to any DPS madness. Broke for on3p.. I wouldn't do it for anyone else. It just hurts less when you get it from On3p

PowTron says it made a noticeable difference, I'm not sure if I believe him but I haven't actually skied the 189 to compare with the 191.
    Perfectly armchair QB'd in spectacular TGR fashion.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Perfectly armchair QB'd in spectacular TGR fashion.
    it's what we do

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Owning a 191 Wren, a 193 Cease and Desist, and 189 BG, I am trying to think of when I would want to use the "supergoat".
    Probably end up selling the C&D and 189 BG and maybe adding a 184 BG and 184 Monster 108 for low-vis Bridger days?

Just a guess...

Here you go, fuckers
    Most awesome!!

Haha, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Probably end up selling the C&D and 189 BG and maybe adding a 184 BG and 184 Monster 108 for low-vis Bridger days?

Just a guess...
    I just got some 184 Monster 98s actually. They were so cheap.. should be good for low tide carving. I actually needed a ski for low tide, or else I wouldnt have spent the $, with the supergoats coming soon.

I dont expect the supergoat to be as good in trees or tight spots as the 189 Billy Goat, and I have absolutely no need for a 184 (let me atleast tell myself that, I have no more $$) When I go short, I go all out, with my 179 pettitors. The K2s are stupid quick in tight trees and bumps, but suck mostly everywhere else.

I'm not selling any more On3ps. Especially the C&Ds. Besides tour cores. I always regret letting them go later on..

The C&Ds should be surf city compared to the Supergoats. On big days, I either like super surfy, or super straight. Supergoat sounds like it will fall perfectly in between. Plus the C&Ds have a 37 or 38m turn radius, so they should have no problems going straight.

I still have to have the Supergoats, of course, but its a stupid decision economically for me.

I just got some 184 Monster 98s actually. They were so cheap.. should be good for low tide carving. I actually needed a ski for low tide, or else I wouldnt have spent the $, with the supergoats coming soon.

I dont expect the supergoat to be as good in trees or tight spots as the 189 Billy Goat, and I have absolutely no need for a 184 (let me atleast tell myself that, I have no more $$) When I go short, I go all out, with my 179 pettitors. The K2s are stupid quick in tight trees and bumps, but suck mostly everywhere else.

I'm not selling any more On3ps. Especially the C&Ds. Besides tour cores. I always regret letting them go later on..

The C&Ds should be surf city compared to the Supergoats. On big days, I either like super surfy, or super straight. Supergoat sounds like it will fall perfectly in between. Plus the C&Ds have a 37 or 38m turn radius, so they should have no problems going straight.

I still have to have the Supergoats, of course, but its a stupid decision economically for me.

Quoted for posterity.

Order placed.

Haha. Watch some rich dude actually buy it.

So...I guess this is appropriate then?
    https://shop.on3pskis.com/collection...re_looking_for

Scam. They just want your CC info.

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Why is this version better? Serious question. The BG has always looked interesting but the new asymmetric design does not intrigue me. What is the best vintage if you like to drive your tips? What year should I be looking for?
    They all drive their tips and ski powder well. The newest version is the best hardpack variant and also smears the easiest of any of the skis to date. That said, design wise, the two big leaps forward in the RES design were from 2012 to 2013, as we really got the principles of RES better dialed, and when we started blending the sidecut (2017 - I think? So many bgs....). Changes besides that have been incremental.

So, say comparing the 2017 & 2018. The 2018 is a bit better on hardpack and smears more easily, but those improvements are incremental over the 2017, which did both pretty damn well. If you went from a 2017 to a 2013, though, you would notice more of a change.

The blending sections/now arcs made a substantial improvement on hardpack performance, so I think those are worth it if you are seeing any harder snow while on the BG. In powder, anything 2013 on skis pretty well, though you will notice the newer design maneuver more easily than the older, more squarish tail design.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    much like the 186 became the 184 after chopping 2cm off the tails, did the 191 become the 189 the same way?

serious question. I skied the 189 and can't imagine wanting a longer ski but I"m a shitty skier so YMMV obviously.
    That + 116mm (vs 118mm). I still laugh that there is really any 189 vs 191 discussion, unless you guys are literally tail gunner on the last 2cm of the 191cm tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    There was. Now everything has moved to arcs.

Middle of the day and so many changes I need to spend some time on it, but I can post an update (likely in our main thread later) about the changes year to year if anyone is interested.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    So...I guess this is appropriate then?
    https://shop.on3pskis.com/collection...re_looking_for
    Awesome.

Good Play ON3P.
    All the BG talk makes me want to buy the BG tours back from Beetlejuice. But that would be the second time I have bought those back. Maybe I’ll just settle for a weekend fling, this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    Good Play ON3P.
    All the BG talk makes me want to buy the BG tours back from Beetlejuice. But that would be the second time I have bought those back. Maybe I’ll just settle for a weekend fling, this winter.
    You should, poor guy has a ON3P hording problem.

He is not the only one.
    I have tried to thin the quiver to the necessities, but still dream about having one of everything.

. I am 6'3" 215 nekkid and like to ski very fast
    We get it bro, that's only like the millionth time you told us.

Sorry. Now I know that you guys all know. I need to be told that.

I just say all that because I dont want people thinking im a better skier than I really am. Just a larger guy..

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    We get it bro, that's only like the millionth time you told us.
    215lbs of veiny, throbbing ON3P love.