Feedback requested on Squaw Valley's proposed Mountain Coaster

If you are a Squaw Valley stakeholder or visitor, we would appreciate your feedback on our survey

Feedback requested on Squaw Valley's Proposed Timberline Twister

I wrote no, but I honestly don't care all that much. I'm glad you included light pollution as an impact, because that's one of my biggest issues with the Village project writ large. So I clicked that issue. But a mountain coaster doesn't really change the character of a ski area with close to 30 lifts and tons of clearcut runs. In fact, it's quite in character.

So, meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    But a mountain coaster doesn't really change the character of a ski area with close to 30 lifts and tons of clearcut runs. In fact, it's quite in character.
    Yep. Seems exactly in character for SV development.

I responded that it sounds fun, go for it. Park City has one.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Bumpity Bump.

We have had almost 500 responses so far, please keep them coming!

Seems ok, But I would be more interested in Top to bottom MTB , why has that not happened?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Squaw Valley’s Proposed Mountain Coaster challenged by community

Squaw Valley’s Proposed Mountain Coaster challenged by community

Survey reveals little support, strong opposition

OLYMPIC VALLEY, CA – September 26, 2017. Responding to Squaw Valley’s recently proposed Timberline Twister, Friends of Squaw Valley (FoSV) has been conducting a survey to obtain feedback on the proposed theme-park attraction. According to the proposal, the above ground roller coaster would be located between the Red Dog and Far East chair lifts adjacent to existing and planned residences on the valley floor. It would remove 6 acres of skiable terrain with 3,380 feet of track and would include lighting for evening operations.

“After experiencing KSL/SVSH’s repeated behavior of springing development proposals onto the community without any prior discussion, consensus building, or involvement, we felt it necessary to assess the true feelings of the community.” said FoSV Chairman Ed Heneveld.

To date, the responses of more than 800 respondents concluded the following:
    • Over 75% are opposed to the Timberline Twister, with only 16% in favor
    • 48% of respondents are full or part time residents
    • An additional 35% are frequent visitors
    • Almost 70% are season passholders and Squaw Valley’s most loyal customers

Those opposed cited the following concerns about the coaster:
    • Incompatible with Squaw’s character
    • Adverse environmental impacts
    • Excess noise and light pollution
    • Worsening traffic and parking problems

Perhaps the comment that best summarizes the sentiment of many in the community was made by a 9 year old. “The beauty of nature and the mountains don't mix with man-made roller coasters. They are two different kinds of fun and it would ruin both to smoosh them together."

“Based upon the preliminary results of the survey, having both an indoor water park and roller coaster in our beloved Valley is very disconcerting for many members of our community. We challenge Squaw Valley to go back to the drawing board and design an amenity more compatible with our character and Olympic heritage.” said FoSV’s Jon Shanser.

As the Timberline Twister proposal goes through the environmental and approval processes, Friends of Squaw Valley encourages the community to speak up and voice their concerns. The final results of the survey will be presented to Placer County’s Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors.

To take the survey, go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FOSVTimberline. And to view the preliminary results and subscribe to FoSv’s mailing list, visit http://friendsofsv.org/.

About Friends of Squaw Valley:
    Friends of Squaw Valley is a grassroots organization comprised of concerned citizens and long-time Squaw Valley residents. Their mission is to advocate for environmentally sustainable, economically viable, and aesthetically compatible development in Squaw Valley while preserving its community character.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Seems ok, But I would be more interested in Top to bottom MTB , why has that not happened?
    Ditto. The coaster is just one more "amenity" I will never use, and it will certainly look fugly, but no one will really see tucked behind those new high rises, and I can't see it increasing traffic in the valley any more than the snow tubing does. Of course, for relatively chump change, a few kick ass downhill trails could be put in.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

What happened to Heavenly's coaster? To much snow?

fosv should be monitoring the spending habits of placer county officials.
    if they have massively increased their discretionary spending, follow the money.

Opinion: Roller coaster not acceptable for Squaw Valley

From our chairman Dr Ed Heneveld

Apparently desiring more activity options for their village guests, Squaw Valley Ski Holdings (SVSH) has resurrected a previously rejected, highly visible metallic roller coaster ("Timberline Twister") proposed on the Red Dog mountainside. In an on-going survey conducted by Friends of Squaw Valley, this project has been rejected by 75 percent of the respondents.

This Timberline Twister was first suggested in 2012, when SVSH also proposed their Village at Squaw Valley expansion. Not wanting additional controversy and following outcry from both residents and visitors, the coaster application was withdrawn.

Now, five years later, SVSH has resubmitted its application for a roller coaster with a motorized cable pulling riders 1,370 feet up the hill, descending on 3,380 feet track to the loading station, one car every 30 seconds.

While the project proposal states otherwise, the environmental analysis assumes operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., 365 days a year. If the commitment is for shorter hours, why analyze longer hours?

Squaw Valley COO Andy Wirth justifies this theme park attraction by stating, "Our guests have told us loud and clear that they want more activity options when they come to visit".

SVSH also claims the twister is not expected to generate incremental additional visits — thereby attempting to avoid the issue of traffic impact — a subject of local concern and an issue under close scrutiny in Sierra Watch's environmental lawsuit against the proposed Village.

The existing Twister at Heavenly and the planned coaster at Northstar are suspected competitive motivating factors for a similar "amenity" at Squaw. Why innovate when you can duplicate? Does Tahoe really need 3 roller coasters? Does one belong in Squaw Valley?

With concern that this application, like the proposed Village expansion, was proposed without any advance notice and little community input, the Friends of Squaw Valley initiated a survey to assess how residents and visitors feel about the Twister. The results to date (over 800 responses as of September 25) have been quite telling, with more responses daily as the survey gets wider distribution.

The makeup of the respondents shows they are the very people whom SVSH says desire this amenity:

29 percent are permanent residents, 22 percent are part-time residents, 41 percent are frequent or occasional visitors, 8 percent are "other".

76 percent are season pass holders.

If SVSH is correct about "more activity options", these respondents should be in favor of the Twister, but the survey results show otherwise.

76 percent of the respondents are not in favor of the Twister, 16 percent are in favor, with the rest undecided. A total of 76 percent said the Twister should not operate at night.

As with the proposed Village's Mountain Activity Center (aka Water Park), the most often cited complaint about the Twister is "Not compatible with Squaw Valley's character", with additional concerns about environmental impact, noise pollution, light pollution, and traffic and parking.

An interesting side note is that the proposed location of the Twister base terminal is sandwiched between Far East lift and Building 1B of the proposed Village expansion — one of the buildings on the sacred "snow beach" — a "jewel" of the proposed Village development. Imagine the reactions of the owners in Building 1B having the Twister, with its noise and screaming riders, operating just outside their windows, day and night, all year long. Even if one accepts the notion of this amusement park ride, the proposed location, at the end of our valley's box canyon, facing the village and local homes, causes alarm.

To better understand life with a Twister, we contacted friends who live near the Snow King coaster in Jackson, Wyo. (note that many Twisters, like Heavenly's, are found up on the mountain, not adjacent to residences). As expected, the comments are not favorable:

-Impossible to shut out the screaming, shrieking, or car clanking on track seams

-Gets buried in the winter (note: Heavenly Twister sustained significant damage last winter)

-Ski terrain underneath is lost due to support cables and clearance issues

Perhaps the most telling comment comes from a 9-year-old responding to the Friends' survey who said, "The beauty of nature and the mountains don't mix with man-made roller coasters. They are two different kinds of fun and it would ruin both to smoosh them together".

This coaster proposal is in application process with Placer County. Public hearings are required.

If you would like to take the Friends of Squaw Valley survey, please go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FOSVTimberline

You may review the results online at our website http://friendsofsv.org/timberline-tw...urvey-results/

I’ve seen tons of these coasters at all sorts different resorts and if they are around trees they are barely visible. Much less of an eyesore on the mountain than a chairlift is.

I don’t see the big deal?

You need to get over the idea that SV is some pristine, wild mountain valley about to be despoiled by development. That ship sailed over 50 years ago. What difference would the twister make? focus on what matters--traffic, water, lack of employee housing, economic impact on Truckee and NLT. Environmentalists make bad names for ourselves when we lose our sense of proportion and our common sense.

I'm down with it but only if it goes over alligator pits and through fire rings.

My 'mountain experience' demands it.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Apparently the popular coaster at Revelstoke is on the lower 900vert feet, serviced by the lower gondola. I have been told that it costs $25CDN for one ride.

I voted in favour of it but wrote that my concern is ticket price.

I agree with old goat's post #12. Shouldn't these environmentalists be concerning themselves with issues other than an installation that is more innocuous than a chairlift? Are they running out of environmental campaigns aka fund raising schemes?

The one in Revy is pretty fun, not in the way, creates some jobs from tourists rolling in and had a very short payout as an investment. All in it has worked out well and you don’t even see it in the winter

Ya, pretty small foot print. Think I heard revy paid it off in a year. After summer close they take it out in what looked like a week. Win win for the community. Surprised how many people come to town for that. I just hope it finances further expansion of summer activities at rmr. Specifically lift accessed MTB

I think the worst part is the loss of some good tree skiing...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    How much will you loose? Most of the terrain these things are on is fairly flat.

Snowmass is putting one in and I've been up there riding around a bunch. The pitch is pretty tame.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Would it hamper exits out of Poulsen's? That would be a bummer.

I'd be ok with one of those cement sled tracks, but elevated rails that screw up tree skiing or paths too other pitches? Fuck that

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Would it hamper exits out of Poulsen's? That would be a bummer.
    Yes I believe so... which is my main argument against it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Ask Heavenly about their coaster. Planned to run it all year, and hired 10 people specifically to shovel it out all winter. They gave up in January. The weight of the snowpack, plus a few erroneous maneuvers with a snowcat, rendered the coaster unusable all summer. Now they’re spending money to rebuild it?

When asked how the Colorado resorts keep the snow off of their coasters during the winter, they replied “with leaf blowers!”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums