Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Southern BC interior 2017/2018

I've been away from the forums for a while now. Toddler, work, skiing and tgr. Something had to take a back seat! Life after dad continues and I'm ready to get some stoke going! Woke up to a fresh dusting this morning and thought I would get this party started!
    Rmr this morning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rmr.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	212291
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Wow.......and just the other day I was praying to be skiing again in 3 months. Here's wishing all the Mags a great 2017/18 season.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I was wondering how much longer it was going to take you to start this thread up

Fall Equinox on the 22nd, switch is flipped. You can feel it in the air.... Hit some alpine hikes in the area last week, and everyone up there was either a sledneck or a ski bum. all itchin'

I just spent the last few days bumbling around FSR's in the monashees, looking for some fresh access routes... Everyone Hug a logger. Not only are they key to our economy, but the make some some super sweet roads...right into the goods.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Stoked!!! Just got to figure out how to hide the fact I am buying new skis again from the wifey
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Stoked!!! Just got to figure out how to hide the fact I am buying new skis again from the wifey
    When you find the holy grail, let me know. Best I have to come up with is trading my gear whoring for summer work on her cabin property. That and broaching the subject after keeping the young-un occupied on weekend morning so she can sleep in. But hiding? No hope in hell on that front so far.

I have a tax savings account at my office, I just get them to cut cheques made out directly to the ski shop or skevik glenn. She never sees the money move. I just have to keep them hidden, she only sled skis with me a couple of times a year. so not that hard

You gotta work her up to the idea ... I started off by trying to convince her that I was going to buy a new sled.

Now I am "making due" with my old sled, and just getting skis and boots...so really, its a perceived savings of over 10,000.

The things I do for my family. #BestHusbandEver.

Heh, I put all my overtime payouts and expense reimbursements in a separate account for the same reason. But that still doesn't hide the physical evidence when the courier drops them off.
    Begging for forgiveness instead of asking permission and all that

I got a pair of new Voile's about a month ago. I told her i ordered curtain rods and that I didn't want her to open the box because i wasn't sure if it was the right ones and wanted to handle it personally. Did you guys know that it says BACKCOUNTRY SKIS right on the box when you order from Voile? My wife does.
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Ahhh.. first dusting in the mountains, shorter days, and the interior thread is up and going. True signs of fall.

If you guys need an address to ship the skis incognito, let me know! A little different situation here this year.. no more wife, so no need to hide skis anymore. Unfortunately no more money for new skis, but thankfully the quiver is still in good shape. This should also translates into a lot more ski days!

You guys need a spouse receipt:
    Name:  receipt.jpg
Views: 3154
Size:  73.7 KB

I always have 5 pair in the office closet. I sell a pair or two and then replace. Still 5 pairs in there so no questions asked. It helps to work from home.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Well it happened as it always does. Friends of mine skid mcrea. this week.

Name:	mcrea11.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	212457

The ussual

awesome. hey, any pics of crevasses from the top? wuz up there for turns mid oct 2015 and hoping to return this year for a drive by ski...wondering if the glacier has changed at all. Also, any beta on the condition of the road? had truck on last trip, now have awd toyota matrix, not sure if she's got enough clearance.

Thanks for the mcrae stoke.

pic from mid oct. 2015

Name:	P1060528.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	212463
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    awesome. hey, any pics of crevasses from the top? wuz up there for turns mid oct 2015 and hoping to return this year for a drive by ski...wondering if the glacier has changed at all. Also, any beta on the condition of the road? had truck on last trip, now have awd toyota matrix, not sure if she's got enough clearance.

Thanks for the mcrae stoke.

pic from mid oct. 2015

Name:	P1060528.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	212463
    Hey sorry, it was some friends of mine but I was up a few times last season early on and the slots in your 2015 are pretty much in the same spot. Skiers right to be avoided at the top. I once watched a snow boarder try to hop all three only to fuck up the first and go in head first on the second. His friends though it was hilarous... lucky dude hit a bridge so only fell about 2m. Some people...

PSA: Last chance for Early Bird Passes at Silver Star is Oct 1st.

Looking to get a week hut trip in this year.
    I’ve done lots of AC huts trips in Banff/Yoho/Rogers/Jasper but I want to take it up a notch. I split board (hardboots if that makes a difference) and consider myself a technically competent snowboarder. This is my 8th year. My cardio is great, and can keep up to most of anyone, and can put in big days. My overall avalanche skills I would rate at mediocre, AST1 and lots of “common sense” and “group dynamics” experience, however I don’t feel comfortable evaluating new terrain. I have some glacier travel knowledge and rope skills, however I would consider myself limited in this area. Couple of questions:

1) Self-guided vs. Guided: I’m leaning towards a fully guided trip, and possibly doing self-guided down the road with more experience.
    2) Timing: The timeframe that would be possible is mid-late February, possibly early March.
    3) I’m considering doing something like an “AST2 week” that SME offers and diversifying my experience. What is that week like? Do you get a fair amount of skiing in or is it mostly focused on avalanche knowledge?
    4) Going solo: I’m pretty set on doing this trip this year. Obviously having some of my touring partners along is prime, but if I do have to roll solo, what is the experience like? I won’t be slowing anyone down, I just don’t want to be that odd guy.
    5) Lodges: I’m thinking SME (Classic 1600) but am open to other operations. My preference is alpine terrain, however that’s obviously weather dependent.
    6) Gear: My touring gear and clothing is pretty locked down but I’m open to any tips?
    7) Anything I’m missing?

Thanks!

Sounds like you got it figured out. So many options for hut trips. Maybe take some time and read through some trip reports from the different lodges to see what would fit your style. Think Sol Mountain lodge does a good AST 2 course.

Quote Originally Posted by splitlit View Post
    Looking to get a week hut trip in this year.
    I’ve done lots of AC huts trips in Banff/Yoho/Rogers/Jasper but I want to take it up a notch. I split board (hardboots if that makes a difference) and consider myself a technically competent snowboarder. This is my 8th year. My cardio is great, and can keep up to most of anyone, and can put in big days. My overall avalanche skills I would rate at mediocre, AST1 and lots of “common sense” and “group dynamics” experience, however I don’t feel comfortable evaluating new terrain. I have some glacier travel knowledge and rope skills, however I would consider myself limited in this area. Couple of questions:

1) Self-guided vs. Guided: I’m leaning towards a fully guided trip, and possibly doing self-guided down the road with more experience.
    2) Timing: The timeframe that would be possible is mid-late February, possibly early March.
    3) I’m considering doing something like an “AST2 week” that SME offers and diversifying my experience. What is that week like? Do you get a fair amount of skiing in or is it mostly focused on avalanche knowledge?
    4) Going solo: I’m pretty set on doing this trip this year. Obviously having some of my touring partners along is prime, but if I do have to roll solo, what is the experience like? I won’t be slowing anyone down, I just don’t want to be that odd guy.
    5) Lodges: I’m thinking SME (Classic 1600) but am open to other operations. My preference is alpine terrain, however that’s obviously weather dependent.
    6) Gear: My touring gear and clothing is pretty locked down but I’m open to any tips?
    7) Anything I’m missing?

Thanks!
    I took AST 1 at Sol last year and it was actually more like AST 2. Checkout
    http://backcountrylodgesofbc.com/ to find a lodge that fits your interests.

I wouldn't worry about popping into a week at a hut and fitting in as a single. Typically, the whole hut does not know each other that well anyway and you will be welcome, provided you are not holding everybody up. Most groups have a couple beginners or slower folks. I'd suggest a guided trip. Its pricey but all you have to do is march around after the guide and it can be a good learning opportunity as the guides should be open to sharing their knowledge and what they are looking for in the snowpack each day. If you are flexible with travel and can leave short notice, there are often significant discounts offered up for an upcoming week at a hut on short notice due to last minute cancellations. Sometimes they show up here in the forum, but it might be a good strategy to contact several lodges you are interested in and ask to be put on a last minute cancellation list.

We got some fresh. GAH call HS 18cms and 10cms fresh at Sol Mountain Lodge. I'm not going skiing but Mcrea would probably we just fine for those with a strong back and low IQ

Here's a photo of the glacier from Wednesday

Name:  mcrea ice.jpg
Views: 2695
Size:  127.0 KB

Nice shot! I am kind of jonesing for a McCrae day. Always a fun sufferfest.

Snow is sticking above 5500ft here in Vernon. Burnt off some turkey yesterday

Name:	IMG_20171009_210000_401.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	213554

Ski Swap this weekend in Vernon.

Forecast looks fairly promising this week. Anyone been up to have a look at the gorge or know what kind of road maintenance/logging activity is happening this year?
    Also , finally got my radio programmed. Guy in town selling the 8watts(more than most) baofeng radios programmed for $100. He has accessories as well(antennas and hand held mic's ). Solid dude. Has a dealership so 1 year warrantee.

Precipitation inbound!

Forecast shows a week of rain in the valleys coming through around the Nelson area. Should mean snow up top and days off work to start tuning the quiver. The stoke is real in the interior!