Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crank View Post
    Are you referring to the Shuswap Trail Alliance? Unforunately, there seems to be a lot of rumours circulating with this story. The STA is publicly supporting the hut. Their director has spent a lot time talking to the media since this blew up although that may have been a waste of time in this day and age of Facebook. They are a solid organization that has done so much for recreation in the area. It would of course be terrible to see the new hut destroyed.

There is some touring potential up there. Mostly south facing terrain though.
    STA has definitely take the bulk of the heat. .. Honestly, this is the first article I have read on the issue and I don't participate on social medial. I heard Rene on CBC last week and then the next day I heard some one representing the STA. It wasn't really clear who exactly made the formal complaint to the the minister, that lead to the stop work order.

You would think that if you went to Front Counter BC to talk about this, they would have directed them to the relevent sections of the Act, so they could file a proper poposal for construction.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Logging trucks a non-issue on Sundays right?

Quote Originally Posted by ShailCaesar View Post
    I think so. You still need permission from hefe though

Southern BC interior 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by ShailCaesar View Post
    Typically yes, a non-issue, as mill scales are closed, but the mills in the Kamloops and central interior areas are very hungry in the wake of the fire season, so preloads and other alternate trucking strategies may influence haul timing. Also, low bedding of equipment, both in and out, often occurs during the weekend.

Hahaha..... I am such a asshole.

I have seen work/repair trucks (like F-350's set up with welding gear etc...) up there on Sundays. Hauling ass....

What about guys with sleds on the back who are using the radios and hauling ass not expecting to see a car coming up with no radio???
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

So true. Although the vast majority of public use resource roads are only radio assisted, many would likely benefit from being radio controlled.

That said, no one should be hauling ass on those roads; there is always the possibility that grandpa getting firewood or tourist going for a jaunt may be around the next corner. Certainly the industrial guys who end up in an accident could face losing safe certification and worksafe investigations and fines should their excessive speed be deemed a factor. General public with radios continue to demonstrate the need for the requirement of additional 'education' on the responsible travel on those roads. I think there were some 8 fatalities this year so far, with speed and care being a factor in almost all

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    So true. Although the vast majority of public use resource roads are only radio assisted, many would likely benefit from being radio controlled.

That said, no one should be hauling ass on those roads; there is always the possibility that grandpa getting firewood or tourist going for a jaunt may be around the next corner. Certainly the industrial guys who end up in an accident could face losing safe certification and worksafe investigations and fines should their excessive speed be deemed a factor. General public with radios continue to demonstrate the need for the requirement of additional 'education' on the responsible travel on those roads. I think there were some 8 fatalities this year so far, with speed and care being a factor in almost all
    I find that most people who recreate on resources roads use radios in some capacity.

But for some reason, if you're driving a 2WD car to go ski touring , you don't need to worry about such things. Subarus and toyotas have amazing safety records.

Any beta on if there's any industrial traffic to be concerned about on the macrae access road? and...how far up can a guy in an all wheel drive low clearance toyota matrix drive before snow depth becomes an issue?
    Master of mediocrity.

Name:  cant-tell-if-serious-or-trolling.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  40.9 KB

re; serious or trolling.

Serious. I forgot to bring my truck. Have radio though.
    Master of mediocrity.

Holy ball, go skiing already ya loosers!

McRae road good to go probably to that last right hander before the last little bit to the parking. Was skiing really well today. It was really warming up as we left at 2 pm

Hst 80. Couple rain crusts but all well bonded , saw no signs of instabilities other than obvious loading in the lees

Here's some road photos. Good winter tires and awd you will be fine. It might be even better after all this warm garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Oh yeah, bears too.

Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Nice, thanx for the beta!
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Nice, thanx for the beta!
    They are hauling too. Just FYI.

Oh man, nice pics. Looks great. 80cm....!

Nice work, Lamothe! What was the elevation of that pit?

Went for a ski up to Big White and despite the early season conditions, had a blast on the nnn bc setup.

The best way to get to the hill!

Sunset turns

Time to put the winter tires on...

Howe much snow up at biggie? Silver Star had about 45cm but it has been super warm

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    Nice work, Lamothe! What was the elevation of that pit?

Went for a ski up to Big White and despite the early season conditions, had a blast on the nnn bc setup.

The best way to get to the hill!

Sunset turns

Time to put the winter tires on...
    hey , nice work on the XC/bike mission. Pit was 2100m

Very cool, thanks. Looking like a decent base.

Hefe, yea, it varied wildly due to sun and wind, but the upper mountain has about 25 cm as an average. Definitely need a little more but good enough to cruise around for a bit of exercise. Shouldn't be long!

Had a great ski day up Macrae yesterday. Was warm enough to uphill and downhill in polypro t shirt and had to take gloves off after first thou off the glacier due to overheating hands. Great views, fun ski. Thanks for road and ski condish photos/report guys. It was an honor to ski in your backyard early season zone. Was able to drive up no problemo...man that road is like a paved highway compared to our logging roads around terrace...had fun on the what do you call it, hard corner short cut? Was a bit intimidated by one large puddle but pinned it and didn't say whoa in the low spot. Great to run into Grinch at end of day and have a nice chat.

Just curious, noticed some what appeared to be fresh glide slabs to ground on steep open planar slopes on the other side of the valley to the north...i'm speculating wsw aspect i think at treeline elevation. Camera battery died so no pics... did you guys have some basal facets? Or maybe just the temp spike or combined with a bit of rain followed by intense solar effect that did the snowpack in? Going by memory I think the glide slabs were somewhere in the red outline in google earth pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	macrae.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	214775
    Master of mediocrity.

Good to run into you swissiphic. Pretty nice day up there . Happy travels mang. If you're back through when the season is rolling we should get out on some of the local haunts.
    Also, talked to east Rockies friends after and sounds like they had a lot of wind recently. The limited options just got more limited, between aspect and elevation specific and now sheltered spots being necessary. Looks like late week upslope though so maybe highwood pass

Thanks for the rockies update Grinch...with that in mind, might bypass the plan of skiing Robson's North Face on the way home. haha. Would be great to make it down for some midwinter skiing but it's my work season so probably won't happen this year. If ya have any interest of skiing up around our neck of the woods some time, hit me up for beta anytime...it ain't the selkirks but it's acceptable.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    might bypass the plan of skiing Robson's North Face on the way home. .
    Sweet! Won't have to cross any tracks.......
    Save travels up narth mang

Nuclear winter in Vernon this morning!