Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    First Turns: a TR from the Malakwa.

The adventure began before we even started. Driving through Armstrong tales were told of open tale gates, wayward skis and ruined days. Then I asked; Did you close the tail gate? ... no x 3.

It was funny because they weren't my skis. HWY 97 has no respect for wayward ions. Thankfully some wire and a zip tie (for good measure) saved the day.

No skiers in the parking lot, but the road was active with industry. Radios paid off.

140-160 cm @ 1800. Lots of settling and woomfing on the hike up,but no other signs of instability. We rode sheltered trees, as there was little visibility in the alpine, and some recent activity in windloaded open areas. All in all, great coverage for this time of year.

"Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Further stoke. Feat. Elhefe. Photo credit. Matt ey

Nice!
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Nice pics by Matt. Very happy his whole lost ski found ski broken binding worked out for him.

Was good skiing, needs another 45cm to ski it a bit more safely/aggressively. Two concerning layers with a lot of very loud settling. Didn't have a thing move or feel anything while skiing.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Matt E Macivor. Nice one apart from needing a toe piece. Forecast should fill things in or over

Search sucks, but this seems to be the thread to ask about ... Revelstoke!

It's on the Mtn Collective and I'm thinking about traveling up for maybe a week. Is there a 'best time' of season up there, historically?
    What are some better sources for beta either threads here or elsewhere?

Looking forward to the visit and I want to make the most of it. TIA for any advice/info.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post

It's on the Mtn Collective and I'm thinking about traveling up for maybe a week. Is there a 'best time' of season up there, historically?

Looking forward to the visit and I want to make the most of it. TIA for any advice/info.
    I’d say after Xmas and before spring breaks so 2nd week of Jan-3rd week of feb, but then we also get a cold dry spell in there(touring is still good though). Also April until closing can be really good. Fingers crossed , opening is like last year. Deepest day of the year was before Xmas crowds last year but you probably want to hold off until everything is filled in

December december december.
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Might as well collect a couple of MCP days at Sunshine Village and Lake Louise on the same trip. Keep in mind that they can both be brutal cold Dec-Feb. whereas Revy gets milder weather.

Is this the right thread for kootenay pass conditions? if so, any reports? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Is this the right thread for kootenay pass conditions? if so, any reports? thanks.
    Yes. It was filling in nicely, but only mellow open glades were skiable when I was there a week ago. There’s been over 50cm and hopefully some consolidation since then. I’m just finishing a quick biking vacation, and will be up there again tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Could a Subaru with good snow tires make it up the Gorge road right now? I've only been up it once and can't really remember how bad the road was. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by meggers View Post
    Could a Subaru with good snow tires make it up the Gorge road right now? I've only been up it once and can't really remember how bad the road was. Thanks.

I’d say it probably depends on the day. They’re grading it but if it’s snowing you’d probably want a 4x4.
    And white sunglass crew rant in 4,3,2...

It was Subaru compliant last week. Just icey. They are still hauling, so they are still maintaining.

Depends on the amount of accumulation toady/tonight... what's the forecast?

Thanks all. That's kind of what I figured. Doesn't look like much snow , so I think we will give it a shot tomorrow. Usually would take my friends truck, but it's not running. I'll just drive conservatively and try not to get stuck and block the road.

Sorry for double posting but just saw there was an avalanche in South Bowl at the Gorge
    https://www.avalanche.ca/map/forecas...7-98b85e320b04

Anyone see any other signs of instability today?

There was a wind slab at ridge top yesterday. Fine as soon as we dropped in below treeline other than sluff running pretty good. We didn’t dig but cut the higher unsupported pockets pretty good. Thin with sharks lurking on that stuff though.Nothing moving. No settlements all day. I could see the open bowl having more of a slab on leeward slopes though. Sounds like they got lucky, that ran a ways. Snow tonight and winds picking up as well. I’d think supported sheltered terrain in the trees would be fine. Looks like snow during the day too

Southern BC interior 2017/2018

Just some additional info. I’m guessing the Halloween crust is a little deeper at the gorge but a fair bit of info worth considering from this report. Heavy loading forecast for tomorrow. Wish I would’ve dug around a bit now. Report from glacier is worth checking out

https://www.mountainconditions.com/r...lemsDEVELOPING AVALANCHE PROBLEMS

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Just some additional info. I’m guessing the Halloween crust is a little deeper at the gorge but a fair bit of info worth considering from this report. Heavy loading forecast for tomorrow. Wish I would’ve dug around a bit now. Report from glacier is worth checking out

https://www.mountainconditions.com/r...lemsDEVELOPING AVALANCHE PROBLEMS

Link doesn't work for me...what's the issue, pretty significant facet layer on the crust or something?
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-19-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Yes, it seems to be prevalent from sicamous through Rogers to bow summit to kananaskis. Varying thickness. But everywhere seems to have small hoar on top of it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Add the northern Monashees and southern Cariboos to the extent of that layer too.

Yes, I guess that’s the upslope storm snow sitting on top of that crust. He also mentions 4 finger density below that 1cm crust . Forecasting a natural cycle today. “MT condition reports” ob from the other side of bruins pass nov16

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I’d say it probably depends on the day. They’re grading it but if it’s snowing you’d probably want a 4x4.
    And white sunglass crew rant in 4,3,2...
    Ouchie..... nice generalization. Try 50km south (excluding alive).

Forecast looking grim for mid week anti jinx.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

south of what?

South of the 23ft Mastercraft. Blaring awolnation. Sporting a 'Saturdays are for the boys' flag.