Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    ^^^ good point about the scene and feel of kelowna changing for the better. It's less juice monkey and fake tits and more hipster now. Even though the juice monkeys are going hipster, there are way less ed hardy shirts and sparkly $500 jeans out there. Down town kelowna is really nice and growing like crazy.

Summer starts early here, lake is swimmable by end of may to end of sept. water temp is usually around 24c for most of summer, july august average air temp around 30c. I don't do much biking but it is excellent. Leave office at 5pm and on the lake by 6 until sunset/kids bedtime.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Guys, so I have to ask. I have family in Kelowna and we are thinking of moving to BC in 2020, but where? I have always been a resort jong, but will want to get a snow mobile for some meadow skipping that is easily accessible. As far as resort skiing, I hear they call it Big White Out, which isn't my cup of tea. Is it any sunnier up at Sun Peaks? Moving up from California, my wife needs sun, even if it is cold, so where should I be looking? O and for sure she needs at least a small town with character to goof of in, nothing to remote or blase. Thanks for your thoughts.
    You also didn’t mention budget. Okanagan real estate is pricey in comparison to other locations. Nelson/Rossland is beautiful but remote. Nelson/Balfour is close to Kootenay Lake, but it is a long drive to anywhere like a larger city.

Another alternative would be the Invermere valley or Fernie. Real estate is cheaper, other than directly on Lake Windermere where you are competing with vacation property owners. Summers in the valley are hot and usually sunny from early July to end September. Cranbrook, Invermere and Golden are cool towns, each with a different vibe. Fernie, Golden and Invermere are under 3.5 hours to a major airport in Calgary.

Just some thoughts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

^^^^As far as budget is concerned, around $2,500 a month in rent works easily. As I am in the US on a Green Card, I can only easily be out of the country for 6 months without jumping through a bunch of hoops with Homeland Security. That will complicate things and likely increase rents paid dramatically for a shorter stay, while we see how my wife likes, wherever we are at. Heck, I may just Air B&B our main home for the 6 months I can be gone, as that is some of the income I could use to rent up there. Our place would likely rent for about $5k+ a month, so we should be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Guys, so I have to ask. I have family in Kelowna and we are thinking of moving to BC in 2020, but where? I have always been a resort jong, but will want to get a snow mobile for some meadow skipping that is easily accessible. As far as resort skiing, I hear they call it Big White Out, which isn't my cup of tea. Is it any sunnier up at Sun Peaks? Moving up from California, my wife needs sun, even if it is cold, so where should I be looking? O and for sure she needs at least a small town with character to goof of in, nothing to remote or blase. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Pemberton or Revelstoke.

Southern BC interior 2017/2018

If you want a nice single family home with furniture in the Okanogan... you could be in 5k range... although, if you are only here over winter, and don't want to live at/ near a resort, you may be able find an Albertans summer home for decent rate.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

^^^^As far as budget is concerned, around $2,500 a month in rent works easily. As I am in the US on a Green Card, I can only easily be out of the country for 6 months without jumping through a bunch of hoops with Homeland Security. That will complicate things and likely increase rents paid dramatically for a shorter stay, while we see how my wife likes, wherever we are at. Heck, I may just Air B&B our main home for the 6 months I can be gone, as that is some of the income I could use to rent up there. Our place would likely rent for about $5k+ a month, so we should be good to go.
    How much room do you need? I am building a carriage house right now that will be a rental, 2 beds 2 baths. Ready for the summer. Mostly furnished. Good location. Will be looking for around $2500
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Looking on Air B&B, it appears there are plenty of homes/apts around Kelowna that would work for us in the $2.5k a month range. Talking to the wife about it today, thinking maybe Oct 1st through the end of February, so she doesn't have to deal with full on winter for to long. Thanks for the info guys. Now to do my homework.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    How much room do you need? I am building a carriage house right now that will be a rental, 2 beds 2 baths. Ready for the summer. Mostly furnished. Good location. Will be looking for around $2500
    I would prefer 2 bedrooms, but the right place with 1 bedroom could work. Big thing is a place that allows my 2 dogs. Renting from El Hefe would be the shit, so keep me in mind down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

If you move in across the street from el hefe, things could get interesting.

closing day- 41c overnight. biggest dump of the season I think.

it's also snowing at my house and there's still 1.5ft on the ground but whatevs! looking forward to a week of snow-melting rain.

Closing day at Whitewater today, with 50cm overnight. Thigh deep turns from go to whoa.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	319.4 KB 
ID:	230951

^^^^
    Whoa! Nice closeout.

Awesome week at Valhalla lodge w the boys. Lucky to have the Bald Bomber with us holding court. 100+cm for the week w some bluebird mixed in.

You guys have it good up there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5778.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	231066

Name:	IMG_5970.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	231067

Name:	IMG_3835.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	231068

Name:	IMG_6055.JPG 
Size:	383.4 KB 
ID:	231069

It blows my mind ski resorts in the BC interior are in such a rush to open on no snow from the 3rd week of November, yet close at the beginning of April when sitting on a 3m snow base like this year and last year with the excuse that no one skis anymore and all their staff has to leave... I call BS on that given that with fewer staff that could continue operating a limited portion of the mountains by closing certain lifts and terrain. And that skiers stop skiing because of the "nice" weather... which is currently still snow to the valley bottoms, below freezing overnight... Revelstoke while open to April 14th had one of it's busier weekends of the season this easter long... And apparently getting to WW you were pretty much screwed unless you got there early do to the parking lots being maxed out and cars stalling out/spinning out on the access road to the resort.

This year and last year we've pretty much had no spring skiingin the BC interior because all the mountains shut down while it's still very much winter. Red mountain and Whitewater for example are less than 4 months "Dec 8 to April 2" this year.

Cut the cord bro. Don't be tethered to a chair lift or operating hours.

Free the heel and the mind will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    It blows my mind ski resorts in the BC interior are in such a rush to open on no snow from the 3rd week of November, yet close at the beginning of April when sitting on a 3m snow base like this year and last year with the excuse that no one skis anymore and all their staff has to leave... I call BS on that given that with fewer staff that could continue operating a limited portion of the mountains by closing certain lifts and terrain. And that skiers stop skiing because of the "nice" weather... which is currently still snow to the valley bottoms, below freezing overnight... Revelstoke while open to April 14th had one of it's busier weekends of the season this easter long... And apparently getting to WW you were pretty much screwed unless you got there early do to the parking lots being maxed out and cars stalling out/spinning out on the access road to the resort.

This year and last year we've pretty much had no spring skiingin the BC interior because all the mountains shut down while it's still very much winter. Red mountain and Whitewater for example are less than 4 months "Dec 8 to April 2" this year.
    Out of town lift ticket buyers pay the bills especially this time of year. A lot of spring skiers are picky preferring only to ski if it is sunny or fresh pow so it becomes difficult to make money when the out of town bookings dry up.

Didn't Revy stay open for a few weekends in April a few years ago after locals got a petition going? I think they lost money.

Sun Peaks has the Snow Bomb Music Festival this coming weekend so that is a money maker, but after that for their last week and weekend (closing April 15), it will be a ghost town.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Closing day at Whitewater today, with 50cm overnight. Thigh deep turns from go to whoa.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	319.4 KB 
ID:	230951
    Yes man!! And I thought I had a sneaky little pow day today. No one here and some nice left overs and a fresh coating. Certainly wasn’t like that though. Good on ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    Revelstoke while open to April 14th had one of it's busier weekends of the season this easter long
    It was absolutely dead this morning. Got on the gondola 8:50 - everything was open. Did a lap on the Stoke and then put first tracks on the Lemming line. Then after a lap on the Ripper hiked the subpeak and it looked like only patrol got to the top before me. Easter is late next year and I doubt they will be open then.

I'm starting to research an Interior BC minivan car camp /hostel trip. Is there a popular pull out or van area for Kootenay pass?
    Or do people generally drive in?

Would the snowpack early February generally be stable enough to ride big terrain?

I've seen the map guides but any additional resources for Nelson/Whitewater/Rossland/Kootenay areas would be much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    I'm starting to research an Interior BC minivan car camp /hostel trip. Is there a popular pull out or van area for Kootenay pass?
    Or do people generally drive in?

Would the snowpack early February generally be stable enough to ride big terrain?

I've seen the map guides but any additional resources for Nelson/Whitewater/Rossland/Kootenay areas would be much appreciated.
    Plowed parking lot at Kootenay Pass summit always has a half dozen vehicles parked/camped there. Outhouse nearby for highway travelers and a xc/skier hut a few feet away that (I think) even has a stove in it. But day use, not for overnight.

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/c...own-chairlifts

On the topic of resorts closing for the season ...

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Cut the cord bro. Don't be tethered to a chair lift or operating hours.

Free the heel and the mind will follow.
    I agree with the touring part, even if you just tour the hill after the lifts have stopped running for the season.

As for the way down...

Fix your heel, ski for real.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I agree with the touring part, even if you just tour the hill after the lifts have stopped running for the season.

As for the way down...

Fix your heel, ski for real.
    Do people still telemark? ... like, can u actually buy new equipment anymore?

How long until us ski-tourons can take that tagline as our own?

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Awesome week at Valhalla lodge w the boys. Lucky to have the Bald Bomber with us holding court. 100+cm for the week w some bluebird mixed in.

Name:	IMG_5970.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	231067

Name:	IMG_3835.JPG 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	231068

Name:	IMG_6055.JPG 
Size:	383.4 KB 
ID:	231069
    Nailed it for conditions! Perfection!

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post

That face behind is sick!

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    That face behind is sick!
    Yeah that’s Woden peak. Pretty filled in! We just skirted it’s edges though. Back side of it has a nice long run they call the Blarney Stone or Hail Woden. The second pic above is from there.
    That side looks like this:

Name:	IMG_6026.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	969.5 KB 
ID:	231815

One of our crew w tree trunk legs:

https://youtu.be/M4DwTBhpng0