Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

14” (35cm) in 24 hrs, in my yard in Rossland. 65cm on the ground at Kootenay Pass. Staying cold.

Looks like winter is shaping up...

Been out of town slaying trout this week. Stoked to return to winter.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

just under 60cm in 24 hrs at silver star!
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    just under 60cm in 24 hrs at silver star!
    Coastal quantity, interior quality!

With the summit snow pillow reading 89cms of HS...how does that translate into coverage for skiable runs up there right now? I know that some areas have a lot of sharp rock...and based on the solar meltdown over the last little while, any solar kissed aspects will not have a base...any suggestions? Watching winds, it seems like there was a NE flow...kinda thinking the skier's right runs toward the dump transfer station off attridge for more lee snow loading? But got no clue about ground surface...rocks, vegetation etc...and it's probably gonna be low density with some wind slab on surface in exposed areas. Time for ski tip extenders!
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Coastal quantity, interior quality!

With the summit snow pillow reading 89cms of HS...how does that translate into coverage for skiable runs up there right now? I know that some areas have a lot of sharp rock...and based on the solar meltdown over the last little while, any solar kissed aspects will not have a base...any suggestions? Watching winds, it seems like there was a NE flow...kinda thinking the skier's right runs toward the dump transfer station off attridge for more lee snow loading? But got no clue about ground surface...rocks, vegetation etc...and it's probably gonna be low density with some wind slab on surface in exposed areas. Time for ski tip extenders!
    You are correct on the wind loading but that section of the mtn has the most rocks along with the Moonbeam area. There was no snow there 2 days ago as it gets nuked from the sun. It also has the easiest ski - poach access though.

Drive up the Ridge subdivision to the end of Cathedral dr and park in the cul de sac there. There is easy touring up from there to the ridge. Should be good as long as you stay off the top of the ridge. Pretty meadowy in the trees! The old bus runs heading down to the dump station typically have a lot of X-mas trees.

You are correct on the wind loading but that section of the mtn has the most rocks along with the Moonbeam area. There was no snow there 2 days ago as it gets nuked from the sun. It also has the easiest ski - poach access though.

Drive up the Ridge subdivision to the end of Cathedral dr and park in the cul de sac there. There is easy touring up from there to the ridge. Should be good as long as you stay off the top of the ridge. Pretty meadowy in the trees! The old bus runs heading down to the dump station typically have a lot of X-mas trees.
    Cool, thnx for beta. Probably wait a day or so and let it settle out a bit. If it seems sketchy at least it'll be a good walk with skins on.

Too bad it's low snow over at adventure bay...been hiking the paved switchbacky road lately to access the trail to mtn top. Skateboarders have cleaned off all the loose gravel and rocks on the steeper stuff but lots of loose rocks/gravel on road surface from there up...with an ice layer as a base, wouldn't have taken much to make the switchbacky 350 vert feet quite skiable..but looking over, it's bare pavement for the first switchback or two.

Man, that general terrain would be all time with a 100cms snowpack with a good base...as gnar as you wanna get but nice meadow skipping or steep trees too...great fall line pitches prit near down to the lake.
    Master of mediocrity.

^^^ yep. Skied that last year from the summit. Super fun and didn't damage the skis really.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0122617.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	215116

I am staying right under that paved switch back trail right now while I build my house. Driveway was complete ice this morning, we only got about 3cm of snow down by the lake while there is 15 in town.

^^^ yep. Skied that last year from the summit. Super fun and didn't damage the skis really.

I am staying right under that paved switch back trail right now while I build my house. Driveway was complete ice this morning, we only got about 3cm of snow down by the lake while there is 15 in town.
    Nice work! Hats off! Probable 1st D?

Well, based on yer ice layer on driveway report, might as well go for a switchback recon mission. Might be time to let the sparks fly off the edges just like skiing the blacktop back in Rupert.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Nice work! Hats off! Probable 1st D?

Well, based on yer ice layer on driveway report, might as well go for a switchback recon mission. Might be time to let the sparks fly off the edges just like skiing the blacktop back in Rupert.
    Would think so yes. I think I got a few local ones last year. Terrace mtn was really cool and want to go back again.

I think the path up higher might be ok. It looked like it was sticking about 100ft above the lake from noon onwards .

Terrace mtn was really cool and want to go back again.
    Nice! I skied a few north facing lines off T mountain back in the early/mid 2000's...fun little steeps. Was oggling some west/northwest facing stuff off the summit though, looked like some decent vert for steep trees...didja drop into that stuff by chance?
    Master of mediocrity.

Oh shit... don't not get hefe going on terrace. It's got some weird power over him, pulling him to her short marginal lines and long flat approaches.... good from a far, but far from good (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Oh shit... don't not get hefe going on terrace. It's got some weird power over him, pulling him to her short marginal lines and long flat approaches.... good from a far, but far from good (IMO)
    Well...I guess i'm with Hefe on this one...something about being able to binocular your tracks from yer house and/or home town...irregardless of quality or quantity of skiing... In my case, I've got the double intangible allure factor going on...binoculared my tracks from my folk's back deck, and the hometown namesake mountain thing. Terrace...it ain't Paris.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Grew up looking at it across the lake. Must be a locals thing, I guess you wouldn't understand being all ontario core. The views up there are something else and there is some decent skiing.

Maybe next time you come with me to severide you can make the summit without getting too tired!

Southern BC interior 2017/2018

Grew up looking at it across the lake. Must be a locals thing, I guess you wouldn't understand being all ontario core. The views up there are something else and there is some decent skiing.

Maybe next time you come with me to severide you can make the summit without getting too tired!
    It's the sirens call you are describing. For the same amount of energy, time, travel, you can be shredding actual gnar. But I guess it's better that we talk up terrace, keep the okanogan low key.

Re: Severide. I backed down with my partner, who was too weak from is toufu/ crossfit lifestyle.... you gotta keep your bros safe out there. Severide doesn't care how core you think you are.

Revy got missed it looks like . The xc skiing up mt revy is so hot right now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Gorge had a bunch of skiers today. 30cm at 15km. Please snow.... annual remembrance day ski coming up. Any updates from up high?

Sent from my SM-A520W using TGR Forums mobile app

Gorge had a bunch of skiers today. 30cm at 15km. Please snow.... annual remembrance day ski coming up. Any updates from up high?

McRae in good shape. I haven't been myself but friends up there today. Connaught another good option. Good base at both. Might be worth the drive for v town. No turns at silver star?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Ss. Has a bunch but super low density. Seeing insta posts from it. I am dubious. Spotwx looking promising on the 10 day for gorge.

We skinned up Silver Star today. Silver Woods was skiing excellent, never really hit bottom. Attridge and Chute were not nearly covered enough and had been whipped into cream cheese, but still fun.

Overall much better than expected, and we were totally stoked to ski at all on November 5th!

Did a Silver Woods lap meself today...skied the liftline and dynatele'd the top flattish stuff and locked in for the steeper pitches. Found that the low density unconsolidated snow didn't provide much float for my JJ's; mostly heel weighted swivel turns; bounced off the bottom in spots but still super fun. The snow was mo betta for dynatele's than for upright stance skiing, imo. Would be fine for DPS Spoons, K2 Pon2oons or something with a 130mm-ish waist...didn't think i'd need my biggest boards for Silver Star, left em at home. Sure was a good dump.

Attachment 215346
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070875.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	465.8 KB 
ID:	215341  
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-05-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Wow. Lots of snow! You guys are crazy skiing the chute!

Brad Baker would be outraged.

Was going to say!

Q for vernon locals...that last dump at silver star...is the +/-60cms some kind of a record, at least for this time of the year? Or does it happen from time to time? I'll be sure to bring the fat fats next time I swing through in octobers from this day forward.
    Master of mediocrity.

It happens. Not very often. I have skied up there on thanksgiving once with sleds. Another time Oct 28th there was 4ft then it got warm mid Nov and most of it melted. Most years nothing until after Halloween.