Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Nice work Meggers! It looks like Silverstar has a bigger base compared to Big white, like usually early in the year.
    Hope you’re able to get some turns while you were down here, Swiss. Going to try and get up there this year for the Everest challenge, if that happens this year.
    +1 here for local lines! Always worth the extra effort!
    A little skimo fun at Big White:

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    Hope you’re able to get some turns while you were down here, Swiss. Going to try and get up there this year for the Everest challenge, if that happens this year.
    Wowsa, Big White's lookin' pretty white! Is that alpiney looking stuff skiable? Or, no base, unconsolidated snow and lots of sharks underneath? Looks like some delicious turns ya got in the meadowy trees! I've been up S.S. daily for work out ski tours..snow that isn't packed, track packed or that has no previous base is deteriorating with the cold temps and faceting; lots of turns bouncing off the bottom...but good skiing to be had on freshly track packed runs and previous storm snow in areas where there was a base...used google earth daylight feature to deduce areas were old snow was preserved...that seemed to work pretty good! Good luck in the Everest Challenge...if yer looking for some more options, pop west to Terrace for some (imho) just a little bit better backcountry skiing options.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    Nice work Meggers! It looks like Silverstar has a bigger base compared to Big white, like usually early in the year.
    +1 here for local lines! Always worth the extra effort!
    A little skimo fun at Big White:

You sled in from the access road?
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

I think they skimo'ed in.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

What is a skimo'ed ?

Are you deepsouthmafia?

I am the Real Hugh Conway

Anybody got the inside scoop on whether Revy is ever gonna add more real lifts?

I was there 2008-2011 and I can't believe they only have the same three real lifts.

Thanks for the early season stoke!

I can recall seasons where Silver Star had lifts turning with less snow than they appear to have now. It was considerably later in the season though. I miss the days of the SS/BW dual mountain pass. Ski at the star till mid to late January when the rocks at big white are finally covered... Then monitor conditions and choose accordingly.

I lived almost exactly equidistant from each hill at the time.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    Anybody got the inside scoop on whether Revy is ever gonna add more real lifts?

I was there 2008-2011 and I can't believe they only have the same three real lifts.
    RMR was supposed to add chairs to the Stoke Chairlift this summer as well as cabins to the Gondola. I don't know if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    RMR was supposed to add chairs to the Stoke Chairlift this summer as well as cabins to the Gondola. I don't know if they did.
    24 Gondola cabins and 21 chairs were added to the existing infrastructure.

Southern BC interior 2017/2018

Paging nickinbc to the courtesy phone. Is it almost time for the early season annual asulkan update? It'd be interesting to see what this next dump needs to cover. Illi approach looks ultra thin from the highway

Ha! No, a true skimo access would have to involve Lycra and cycling up to the snow. Drove this time and parked at Gem. There are reasons the pics are all from the top part of the hill. Still some good turns lower down if you used Swiss' technique and stayed in the shaded, grassy areas. Still an amazing day out.
    Yea, Swiss, the pic from the ridge is the backside of Big White and would be full of sharks with this light coverage. Would love to check out Terrace. The plan is to spend a couple days touring after the challenge, so will definitely head up that way.

On Sunday the trail up the Asulkan valley was skinnable almost all the way. More walking advisable on the way down but still pretty good for this early. But it won't take much traffic for it to deteriorate badly.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    On Sunday the trail up the Asulkan valley was skinnable almost all the way. More walking advisable on the way down but still pretty good for this early. But it won't take much traffic for it to deteriorate badly.
    Thanks. Last time out Connaught a couple days ago was super sketchy. I'd hesitate calling it snow covered below the hr glass. Almost as much dirt/rocks as snow

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Thanks. Last time out Connaught a couple days ago was super sketchy. I'd hesitate calling it snow covered below the hr glass. Almost as much dirt/rocks as snow
    Mixed skiing... they eat that shit up in the CDN Rockies thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Mixed skiing... they eat that shit up in the CDN Rockies thread.
    They certainly don't call them the snowies

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Thanks for this, I was just about to ask about it. Just curious, what did you ski and was coverage better up higher ?

Quote Originally Posted by meggers View Post
    Thanks for this, I was just about to ask about it. Just curious, what did you ski and was coverage better up higher ?
    It's not bad getting back down until you get to those lower trees. It's just really deteriorated since the last snow.
    Skied 8812ridge just above balu along the trees, 2 days in 8812bowl from bruins, and a couple days ago irsus trees

Lol I though the luge track out is in fine shape! Skied out on new skis both days this week. Just don't make turns on the rocks. Mid march base for the Rockies .

Skied last two days up Connaught . Crust down 25 or 0 in scoured areas. Place is pretty tracked but managed fun turns both days .

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

The winter permit quiz is now online. I had problems printing out the result (from Firefox). The second page (with my name on it) wouldn't print. Firefox wouldn't copy a screenshot because it is 'not a standard web page' - however it would let me download the screenshot into Windows photo viewer and I could print from that.

Nuking in Vernon again, SS will be good tomorrow!

Southern BC interior 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    Lol I though the luge track out is in fine shape! Skied out on new skis both days this week. Just don't make turns on the rocks. Mid march base for the Rockies .

Skied last two days up Connaught . Crust down 25 or 0 in scoured areas. Place is pretty tracked but managed fun turns both days .

I skied it switch you hack
    Still looks like good snow up in them golfin lines eh

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    The winter permit quiz is now online. I had problems printing out the result (from Firefox). The second page (with my name on it) wouldn't print. Firefox wouldn't copy a screenshot because it is 'not a standard web page' - however it would let me download the screenshot into Windows photo viewer and I could print from that.
    Just did mine. Possible to do it on the phone and grab a screenshot of the test score and your name as well. I like the convenience of strolling into parcs can in town and avoiding the info centre line up

Hey didja guys around revy notice any surface hoar on the surface or previous surfaces? Spotted some large corn flakes on silver star the other day BTL on east aspects...coulda been due to fog layer and localized. Just curious if it's regionally more widespread.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Hey didja guys around revy notice any surface hoar on the surface or previous surfaces? Spotted some large corn flakes on silver star the other day BTL on east aspects...coulda been due to fog layer and localized. Just curious if it's regionally more widespread.
    Here and there. In the right spots there was development and then there was also faceting above the oct crust.

Photo 2100m sheltered TL

Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com