Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 134
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Revelstoke
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Forecast looks fairly promising this week. Anyone been up to have a look at the gorge or know what kind of road maintenance/logging activity is happening this year?
    Also , finally got my radio programmed. Guy in town selling the 8watts(more than most) baofeng radios programmed for $100. He has accessories as well(antennas and hand held mic's ). Solid dude. Has a dealership so 1 year warrantee.
    X2 for gorge schedule info. Elhefe is always in the know it seems. I think it might be low tide for the gorge just yet but the higher zones like mcrea are just hitting the rideable snow base. Reports from today say you can skin from the parking lot.
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    X2 for gorge schedule info. Elhefe is always in the know it seems. I think it might be low tide for the gorge just yet but the higher zones like mcrea are just hitting the rideable snow base. Reports from today say you can skin from the parking lot.
    Nice. Been watching the ridge up there but it's looked pretty blown. Good news. Hoping to avoid the initial suffer fests. Friend posted a pic from the highway around malakwa a couple days ago with a decent coating on the ground. Not much melting up high now. Lake Louise forecast looks real good too. Saw some pics of turns up at bow summit

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Revelstoke
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nice. Been watching the ridge up there but it's looked pretty blown. Good news. Hoping to avoid the initial suffer fests. Friend posted a pic from the highway around malakwa a couple days ago with a decent coating on the ground. Not much melting up high now. Lake Louise forecast looks real good too. Saw some pics of turns up at bow summit
    From yesterday. Im running all new skis this year and im getting old enough to care about that but mcrea looks like mcrea!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22528580_10155591999920999_2537496543066351782_o.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	213955
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    vernon
    Posts
    1,977
    Looks fun!
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    vernon
    Posts
    1,977
    And its way too early to be talking gorge. Don't jinx it.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    From yesterday. Im running all new skis this year and im getting old enough to care about that but mcrea looks like mcrea!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22528580_10155591999920999_2537496543066351782_o.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	213955
    Damn! Looks much better than I'd have thought.

    Gorge should be good soon. Gorge gorge gorge gonna gorge on teh gorge

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Revelstoke
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Damn! Looks much better than I'd have thought.

    Gorge should be good soon. Gorge gorge gorge gonna gorge on teh gorge
    Way to go grinch! Have you checked the fls for the next few days?!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    Way to go grinch! Have you checked the fls for the next few days?!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No I haven't . Just the repeated visual. Man looks like it shot up high. Put my gear together. Was going to have a look tomorrow but not sure now. Keep looking around at highway cams. Maybe I should wait til Wednesday . Chomping at the bit

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Revelstoke
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    No I haven't . Just the repeated visual. Man looks like it shot up high. Put my gear together. Was going to have a look tomorrow but not sure now. Keep looking around at highway cams. Maybe I should wait til Wednesday . Chomping at the bit
    Jinxer


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    4,140
    Haaaaaa, I thought about that. Think I even called myself an idiot. Pretty sure I'll head for the Rockies for the quick access meadow skipping towards the end of the week. Maybe it'll be here by next week

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Revelstoke
    Posts
    1,516
    Well looks like you didn't after all .




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    Well looks like you didn't after all .




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Didn't want to waste a trip. Going up tomorrow. Leaving about 8 ish if you want to join

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Revelstoke
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Didn't want to waste a trip. Going up tomorrow. Leaving about 8 ish if you want to join
    No can do tmrw but we should go for
    A ski soon . Il be away until November


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    No can do tmrw but we should go for
    A ski soon . Il be away until November


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yes man. It's getting tight but trying to squeeze 15 days in before mid nov so I should be keen. Not expecting to get much done besides getting on skis and squeezing a few turns in. Hopefully there's some turns below treeline there

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Can/USA
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    From yesterday. Im running all new skis this year and im getting old enough to care about that but mcrea looks like mcrea!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22528580_10155591999920999_2537496543066351782_o.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	213955
    Damn that looks nice!!

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    vernon
    Posts
    1,977
    Saw pics of sledders up at Blue lake. snowandmud.com always has a good revy and sicamous thread going with good info on alpine conditions.

    Looks like yoyo temps/FL this week with a big warm up mid next week.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    4,140
    Wind was howling. A few cm fresh when we got there and another 6ish fell during the day. Below treeline for a few hundred ft it was ok

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Revelstoke
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Wind was howling. A few cm fresh when we got there and another 6ish fell during the day. Below treeline for a few hundred ft it was ok
    doesn;'t look to bad. Probably skiing fine now. looks like its been snowing pretty good at the pass. Mcrea will be prime just hope the road is drivable for a little longer.
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    4,140
    Might have to go from the lower parking tomorrow. The temp crust on the ground isolated most hazards. Just those roots in the trees in the last few hundred feet. Looks like it'll be a bit warmer tomorrow though

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Vernon BC
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Forecast looks fairly promising this week. Anyone been up to have a look at the gorge or know what kind of road maintenance/logging activity is happening this year?
    Also , finally got my radio programmed. Guy in town selling the 8watts(more than most) baofeng radios programmed for $100. He has accessories as well(antennas and hand held mic's ). Solid dude. Has a dealership so 1 year warrantee.
    This is excellent segway for my radio procedure rant ... may as well get it out of the way early this year. apologies, it's just a cut and paste from last year, this rant isn't directed at anyone in particular..

    Although, it I could totally be directed at the guy I almost ran into last week.... I was driving near Edgewood, and there was a guy who kept calling , but was clearly not holding his PTT long enough, and making up his own radio procedure .. all I ever heard was "...2 pick up.." Initially, I figured he was around 2km heading up , then after hearing it again, I thought maybe he was loading ... chalked it up to nothing, and I just kept calling my Km and paid it no mind... turns out it, he was actually heading down, in a party of 2 pick ups.



    Begin Rant -


    So, you got a 100$ radio from the guy reselling 40$ radios from china, after nearly crashing head on into a loaded log truck last year..... so that should shut these TGR cunts up and solve all my problems on the FSR.... right?

    Wrong.

    Do you have the new RR frequencies programed? chances are slim. I mean the new frequencies have been in use since Nov 2015, but there still countless 2wd vehicles at the bottom of the road wondering why no one is calling back on Ld-1.

    Calling your Km;

    Going up? Call evens. The road starts at zero.

    Going Down? Call Odds.

    Is there a vehicle in front of you calling Km? Then please, DONT CALL the km seconds after they do... Chime in when you hear downhill traffic, otherwise you are just cunting up the channel.

    A description of your vehicle and party is not necessary ... " 1 going up the gorge in a grey tacoma 4 door, 2 dogs and a girl, at Km 0" ... No one cares what your truck looks like... and you just added a bunch of confusing numbers to your already muffled and underpowered transmission.

    The proper radio procedure is posted on the fucking sign, follow it .. don't invent your own sequence. "Gorge Road, 0 Km , Up" . Believe it or not, this serves a purpose. If you are loosey goosey with your PTT button, the beginning and end of your coms can get cut off. The important content of that message is the Km. following the sequence ensure that the most vital piece of info is always communicated.

    /Rant.
    Last edited by cmcrawfo; 10-21-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    vernon
    Posts
    1,977
    Can I print, laminate and post this at the bottom?
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Vernon BC
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Can I print, laminate and post this at the bottom?
    Authorized for the broadest of distribution. No credit required.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Vernon BC
    Posts
    531
    http://www.eaglevalleynews.com/news/...-be-torn-down/

    Any one have any further insights into the sicamous cabin debacle ?

    My understanding of the situation in a nutshell ... some pretty solid local sledder dudes with helis and Oil money decided to rebuild an old fire lookout. They notified their MLA and front counter BC people, everyone seemed on board until the local hiking club caught wind. Tried to put the brakes on, claiming it to be a personal playhouse for the heli elite, and whining about not being involved .. and their concerns about having to maintain it in the future.

    The site is primarily hike in only. limited sled access from what I understand. Could be a sweet ski touring location .... but who knows.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    This is excellent segway for my radio procedure rant ... may as well get it out of the way early this year. apologies, it's just a cut and paste from last year, this rant isn't directed at anyone in particular..

    Although, it I could totally be directed at the guy I almost ran into last week.... I was driving near Edgewood, and there was a guy who kept calling , but was clearly not holding his PTT long enough, and making up his own radio procedure .. all I ever heard was "...2 pick up.." Initially, I figured he was around 2km heading up , then after hearing it again, I thought maybe he was loading ... chalked it up to nothing, and I just kept calling my Km and paid it no mind... turns out it, he was actually heading down, in a party of 2 pick ups.



    Begin Rant -


    So, you got a 100$ radio from the guy reselling 40$ radios from china, after nearly crashing head on into a loaded log truck last year..... so that should shut these TGR cunts up and solve all my problems on the FSR.... right?

    Wrong.

    Do you have the new RR frequencies programed? chances are slim. I mean the new frequencies have been in use since Nov 2015, but there still countless 2wd vehicles at the bottom of the road wondering why no one is calling back on Ld-1.

    Calling your Km;

    Going up? Call evens. The road starts at zero.

    Going Down? Call Odds.

    Is there a vehicle in front of you calling Km? Then please, DONT CALL the km seconds after they do... Chime in when you hear downhill traffic, otherwise you are just cunting up the channel.

    A description of your vehicle and party is not necessary ... " 1 going up the gorge in a grey tacoma 4 door, 2 dogs and a girl, at Km 0" ... No one cares what your truck looks like... and you just added a bunch of confusing numbers to your already muffled and underpowered transmission.

    The proper radio procedure is posted on the fucking sign, follow it .. don't invent your own sequence. "Gorge Road, 0 Km , Up" . Believe it or not, this serves a purpose. If you are loosey goosey with your PTT button, the beginning and end of your coms can get cut off. The important content of that message is the Km. following the sequence ensure that the most vital piece of info is always communicated.

    /Rant.
    Expert

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The west - various spots
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    http://www.eaglevalleynews.com/news/...-be-torn-down/

    Any one have any further insights into the sicamous cabin debacle ?

    My understanding of the situation in a nutshell ... some pretty solid local sledder dudes with helis and Oil money decided to rebuild an old fire lookout. They notified their MLA and front counter BC people, everyone seemed on board until the local hiking club caught wind. Tried to put the brakes on, claiming it to be a personal playhouse for the heli elite, and whining about not being involved .. and their concerns about having to maintain it in the future.

    The site is primarily hike in only. limited sled access from what I understand. Could be a sweet ski touring location .... but who knows.
    Are you referring to the Shuswap Trail Alliance? Unforunately, there seems to be a lot of rumours circulating with this story. The STA is publicly supporting the hut. Their director has spent a lot time talking to the media since this blew up although that may have been a waste of time in this day and age of Facebook. They are a solid organization that has done so much for recreation in the area. It would of course be terrible to see the new hut destroyed.

    There is some touring potential up there. Mostly south facing terrain though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •