Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    We're think about selling the van and getting a new pickup in a few years. A hard sided topper with a pop up might be exactly what we're looking for. There's a market there.
    After owning my big truck and having tons of friends with van conversions, this seems like the best option to me if you aren't looking to dedicate your lifestyle to your vehicle. The big dedicated rigs are a huge commitment, and sometimes simple would be really nice.

Functional daily, functional camper even for somewhat long term travel. No real compromise in either regard and we have worked super hard to keep the price point attainable. I can actually see this complimenting a sprinter van/earthroamer/aerocontinental.

Dude, I have a problem with changing things around a lot. A simple do it all would be nice and I think a lot of people are starting to see that. My current vehicle line-up is an F150 with a topper I sleep under often, a 4x4 camper van, and FZJ80 built up. I've had other vans, AT style trailers w/ RTTs, slide in campers...and a number of different platforms under toppers on regular vehicles.

It would be cool to build up a Tundra that is capable and I would be okay giving some trail-ability up to the 80, do whatever daily stuff the F150 does, and have a simple four season sleeping/camping option in the back. I'm holding out for a few years until Tundras can get reasonable gas mileage. Maybe the timing will be right for what you're putting out. There was that Nitro Gear Tundra for say over the last few months. That really had my wheels spinning. Your future topper on that would be perfect except for the mpg but after selling my van, 80, and pickup, I'd have plenty of gas money in the glove box.

Yeah. Seeing some sense in putting one of your toppers on our '10 Tundra if one were made to fit, to replace both the aging fiberglass cab-over slide-in and the Leer topper.

Despite having OME springs and shocks, add-a-leafs and sway bar, any full-size camper is probably still a bit much for the truck...

Rig would be tits without the heavy rear leafs and with a lighter camper option. We spend wayyy more time with the topper on the truck and love the convenience, security, and versatility... If it popped into a heavier duty camp option that was suitable for winter use, all the better. Keep us posted!

S you probably need this dude...

With a mini camper it would be rad

Conundrum, totally get what you mean. A new zr2 mini duramax could be an efficient setup with this topper. But the upside to this system generally is the fuel economy won't be too negatively affected by the camper since its so light and low profile.

I think for the wife and I, a crew cab raptor would be the hot ticket with an ultralight camp setup on the back. Drawer slides storage, 15 gallons of water with coolant exchanger off the motor, 12V fridge and a 100W deployable solar panel. Done.

At least one window, no? Sitting out a severe winter storm in a cozy space, needs at least one or two windows, in my personal experience.

Make an 8 foot version. Please.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Appreciate all the feedback. How much have you worked with aluminum?

The material we use is .090-.125 so it doesn't just bend and form quite as easily as you might think. There are many reasons to use less windows rather than more. Structure, expense, security and insulation are only a few.

Complex metal forming is pretty hard to justify on low volume custom builds. If we migrate to a set model like earthroamer it may be something to consider.

Additionally, when I get into country I like, I go outside. Prefer having the camper more as a refuge.

We are booked through to next summer, but will update the site as needed. Currently finishing our first round of interiors this winter, which is why there are no completed images.

.120 ally is pretty baller for a skin! People don't realize car panels are usually ~20ga, the only thing that keeps it strong is the compound curves/shapes/flanging. I'm guessing resistance spot welded inner ally studs and ~2# two part closed cell foam for full strength binding and insulation on those boxes?

Is every unit custom or do you have a basic set of shell configurations?

I have so many questions about seam welding, bonding and such. One of these days when I'm not rebuilding a ski area I'd love to make a rugged-ass tittyballin bed camper like that. I don't get to do much fun fabbing anymore.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community