Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    There are many reasons to use less windows rather than more. Structure, expense, security and insulation are only a few.
    This. +1000.

If you’re a surfer typically camping in 50-80 F temps, or a retired golfer puttering around Georgia, lots of big windows is fine.

If you prefer the mountains and camp when it’s snowing, the condensation issues alone will convince you to keep windows to an absolute minimum.

Exciting news on the additional product offerings, G!

Must say, I am a bit stoked on the idea of upgrading to one of your half-ton slide-ins...

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    oh word? Are you planning on keeping the affordable build for smaller trucks only, or is there something in the pipeline that will be able to make use of the 8ft bed on my 3/4 ton?
    We are going to move towards full size vehicles eventually, just need to finish developing the small stuff first.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Really ? I would buy one. Seriously. Keep us informed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Hardsided winter worthy pop-up for 8' beds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman
    Must say, I am a bit stoked on the idea of upgrading to one of your half-ton slide-ins...
    We are launching the product in like two weeks, so I don't want to divulge too much. But its more of a topper system than a slide in, I should probably tell you guys what it is so we are on the same page...

This product won't be a camper in the traditional sense. Think along the lines of the AT habitat, but a hard roofed version without the cabover. Its essentially a westfalia style topper for pickup trucks.

The goal is something ultralightweight (~200 pounds for the unit) that doesn't hamper the vehicles driving ability on or off-road any more than a standard topper would. The tent sides are fabric, but the roof is solid. The materials are machined aluminum, composite honeycomb panels, sunbrella fabrics and welded chromoly round tube. You can sleep two adults in the "upstairs" and sleep a couple kids downstairs, or you can turn the downstairs into a mini camper for a couple or if you are rolling solo. The "camper" unit never needs to be taken off the truck, as it will have the functionality of a topper when not being used to sleep. The upper tent system is also a structural roof rack that can carry boats, skis, mountain bikes, surfboards, pool cleaning equipment etc.

The ethos behind the design is that a lot of friends approached us looking for something affordable for weekend camping that was well built, and it didn't really exist. You can spend 5k on a used (thrashed) alaskan or FWC, but in a lot of ways, that is too much camper for most folks. And after having these big committed expedition rigs, we thought it would be nice to still have a weekend setup you could throw on a 90's toyota and have a blast. Or drive it around the world and be a lot more comfortable than a traditional topper/rooftop tent.

The initial offering for the topper system will have a soft-topper style lower. Meaning it will be a structural frame with canvas sides. We are wanting to transition into hard paneled sides as an option in the near future with insulation kits available.

Ah. New take on Flip-Pac, sorta.

Cascadian wet n heavy means hard side for me... maybe I'll have to move back to Montucky in order to have one of your desert weather rigs.

I had better ask: What's the design load?

2ft overnight dump of 20% cheese weighs 650 lbs on a 6.5ft x 4ft topper roof.

Hardside 4-season pop-up, for a full-size truck please. The current options are Alaskans and then $150k unobtanium carbon fiber trust-funder geo overlander sell your house and become instagram famous campers that require a $30k custom aluminum "tray".

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Ah. New take on Flip-Pac, sorta.

Cascadian wet n heavy means hard side for me... maybe I'll have to move back to Montucky in order to have one of your desert weather rigs.

I had better ask: What's the design load?

2ft overnight dump of 20% cheese weighs 650 lbs on a 6.5ft x 4ft topper roof.
    Exactly, just well made and hopefully a smarter design. The roof can handle that load, the strut lockouts will likely hold it too, but it would be wise to push it off before the 2' of build. In the down position it would be no problem. We are designing insulated fabric sides for it and a ventilation system, so it would probably work out there. But you should still move back this way dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Hardside 4-season pop-up, for a full-size truck please. The current options are Alaskans and then $150k unobtanium carbon fiber trust-funder geo overlander sell your house and become instagram famous campers that require a $30k custom aluminum "tray".
    We are a ways out on anything like that. 2019 at the earliest.

Wow! I'd buy an 8-foot bed version of a hard side pop-up camper in 2019. That sounds just right.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    What we are currently working on is probably less than what your dad is looking for. Trying to hit the $5k mark for a pop up topper/camper system for 1/2 ton and under trucks.
    If you make one that'll fit a Tacoma, and you get even close to that $5K target, I would be extremely interested. Tacoma Habitat is the only comparable option right now, and there are way too many things I don't like about it to spend $8+K on it.

Edit: Just saw the post with details, and with hard sides (complete hard shell), it sounds perfect. Please include windoors!
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

We are going to move towards full size vehicles eventually, just need to finish developing the small stuff first.

We are launching the product in like two weeks, so I don't want to divulge too much. But its more of a topper system than a slide in, I should probably tell you guys what it is so we are on the same page...

This product won't be a camper in the traditional sense. Think along the lines of the AT habitat, but a hard roofed version without the cabover. Its essentially a westfalia style topper for pickup trucks.

The goal is something ultralightweight (~200 pounds for the unit) that doesn't hamper the vehicles driving ability on or off-road any more than a standard topper would. The tent sides are fabric, but the roof is solid. The materials are machined aluminum, composite honeycomb panels, sunbrella fabrics and welded chromoly round tube. You can sleep two adults in the "upstairs" and sleep a couple kids downstairs, or you can turn the downstairs into a mini camper for a couple or if you are rolling solo. The "camper" unit never needs to be taken off the truck, as it will have the functionality of a topper when not being used to sleep. The upper tent system is also a structural roof rack that can carry boats, skis, mountain bikes, surfboards, pool cleaning equipment etc.

The ethos behind the design is that a lot of friends approached us looking for something affordable for weekend camping that was well built, and it didn't really exist. You can spend 5k on a used (thrashed) alaskan or FWC, but in a lot of ways, that is too much camper for most folks. And after having these big committed expedition rigs, we thought it would be nice to still have a weekend setup you could throw on a 90's toyota and have a blast. Or drive it around the world and be a lot more comfortable than a traditional topper/rooftop tent.

The initial offering for the topper system will have a soft-topper style lower. Meaning it will be a structural frame with canvas sides. We are wanting to transition into hard paneled sides as an option in the near future with insulation kits available.
    I'd for sure be into something like this...sounds much like older "wildernests"? Is that assumption correct?

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    If you make one that'll fit a Tacoma, and you get even close to that $5K target, I would be extremely interested. Tacoma Habitat is the only comparable option right now, and there are way too many things I don't like about it to spend $8+K on it.

Edit: Just saw the post with details, and with hard sides (complete hard shell), it sounds perfect. Please include windoors!
    So it will be hard shelled topper, hard roof, and soft tent sides when popped. Given our current expenses with the prototype, 5k should be very attainable. The hard sides on the topper might add a slight increase over the fabric sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I'd for sure be into something like this...sounds much like older "wildernests"? Is that assumption correct?
    Yeah, its like a wildernest, but with a pop up more akin to a westfalia. And built to be jumped and thrashed.

BR: Unimog Adventure Truck Build

Based on replies it looks like you hit on a good topper. I’m guessing a 2005 tundra double cab would be the best truck possible for it. Smilerz. Color me interested.

So it will be hard shelled topper, hard roof, and soft tent sides when popped. Given our current expenses with the prototype, 5k should be very attainable. The hard sides on the topper might add a slight increase over the fabric sides.

Yeah, its like a wildernest, but with a pop up more akin to a westfalia. And built to be jumped and thrashed.
    Yeah I figured different than wildernest from your description, but sounded along same idea.. Sounds super cool and I'd be interested if they fit a 6ft bed.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Based on replies it looks like you hit on a good topper. I’m guessing a 2005 tundra double cab would be the best truck possible for it. Smilerz. Color me interested.
    Sweet, yeah that would be a primo rig for it. I'll start a new thread soon, we have lots of cool photos and renderings from the prototype process so far. Our target with this system is in the 100's of units per year, which is why we are able to offer really competitive pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah I figured different than wildernest from your description, but sounded along same idea.. Sounds super cool and I'd be interested if they fit a 6ft bed.

We have our cad production model parametrically designed so we can quickly tool up to making it fit any vehicle, just need the volume to justify supporting the platform. What truck do you have? We are going to start with toyota products and raptors, which means we should be able to support first gen tundra, toyota pickup 1980-1995, tacoma 1996-2017 and modern short bed f-150s.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Hard shell topper with a soft sided popup. Stoked to see what you guys have come up with.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

We have our cad production model parametrically designed so we can quickly tool up to making it fit any vehicle, just need the volume to justify supporting the platform. What truck do you have? We are going to start with toyota products and raptors, which means we should be able to support first gen tundra, toyota pickup 1980-1995, tacoma 1996-2017 and modern short bed f-150s.
    dammit, knew i should have sold the '06 Taco before something awesome like this came out...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Short bed F150...yes please

Sweet, yeah that would be a primo rig for it. I'll start a new thread soon, we have lots of cool photos and renderings from the prototype process so far. Our target with this system is in the 100's of units per year, which is why we are able to offer really competitive pricing.

2006 tundra limited 6'3" bed. Hope that one happens.

This new topper sounds really cool. Thinking about a new truck in the next year and would love to put something like this on it.

cool, please post a new thread when this happens? or make a signup email list?

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Sorry, that's what I meant. Hard shell topper with a soft sided popup. Stoked to see what you guys have come up with.
    Ah no worries! Just wanted to make sure I was being clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    dammit, knew i should have sold the '06 Taco before something awesome like this came out...
    You should probably get another one! Those second gen tacos are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    cool, please post a new thread when this happens? or make a signup email list?
    Will do, should have enough info online next week to give the mags first dibs on the beta. Just finishing up the website this weekend and dialing in our logo a bit. We are going to have an email list started on the site, and will also be taking fully refundable deposits to hold spots in line for production.

Here are some super low res teasers of the prototype we have been testing. Don't mind the topper in this one, or the tent for that matter. Rough proof of concept. Actual version of the topper will be quite different, and the tent will also be more refined. We will have proper renderings on launch.

Just throwing out small teasers of a shoot last week with stellar photog drew martin...

sorry for the small images, but these are our final web photos for launch and I want to hold a little back.

And just to give you guys an idea of the build quality, these are the machined hinges we build in house...

Final hinge won't be red though due to UV instability.

/thread drift

Looks like you guys are having some fun!

Still want to see your shop... prob be back in the Zone around Xmas. Will you be around? I lamed out last year.

Beefier than anything out there. That is bad ass.

Still want to see your shop... prob be back in the Zone around Xmas. Will you be around? I lamed out last year and didn't call you.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Still want to see your shop... prob be back in the Zone around Xmas. Will you be around? I lamed out last year.
    Absolutely, would love to get together and finally meet astrid. Hit me up for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Beefier than anything out there. That is bad ass.
    Thanks man, that's what we are going for while still maintaining ultralightweight. It has worked super well so far.

We're think about selling the van and getting a new pickup in a few years. A hard sided topper with a pop up might be exactly what we're looking for. There's a market there.