New Yurt below Jughandle Mtn in McCall Idaho.

There's a new yurt located just below Jughandle mountain in McCall. It's called Silver Fox Yurt and can be found on AirBnB. Sleeps 4 and dirt cheap for now. I haven't stayed and skied yet, but booked a trip for this coming winter. The owners say it's a little over a mile hike to the yurt and there's some skiing close by. Looks like about 4-5 miles to the top of Jug. The owner asked that I spread the word with other ski minded types. Hope to see you out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a123c67a-bde6-4dbc-b37a-2dd0653028ab.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	286.6 KB 
ID:	212275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cbee8036-6ca6-4e13-9f95-134d3ad71085.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	212276
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170917_214721.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	596.4 KB 
ID:	212277

Figured a link to the yurt might be useful... https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1984267...tes&s=QPvjO7ie

Any beta on the terrain around there? Based out of Tahoe but looking for a cheap hut trip for an upcoming bachelor party in feb/march. Group of four, like ~5 to 6k days and big lines

Hmm....that's interesting. There is also another yurt, built out of an old grain storage silo that was built years ago on state land that lies directly east of the location of this yurt. I would bet the new yurt owners are well aware of the other one. I don't know the status of the old yurt or if it's still standing and not collapsed, but I do know it is pretty cool (considering ski_faster and I helped build it) and I think that Payette Powder Guides still uses it for classes once and a while.

The ski terrain above the old yurt was kind of fun, nice wide open glades, nothing too steep, but fun. Jughandle proper doesn't have great ski terrain, it gets too wind hammered, but that whole ridge with west facing runs running from what's listed on the 7.5 min quad as Jughandle is kinda fun.

Also, I've never explored the 3 east facing cirques, but would be curious to know what they are like. The north facing terrain above Louie Lake looks like fun, at least it does in the summer, but not sure what lines go and which don't.

Thanks for the info mtnjam... so my understanding is that the snowmobiling ends and skiing begins at the base of that west-facing slope. It's all wilderness east of there. Does that comport with your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Captn-See-Had View Post
    Thanks for the info mtnjam... so my understanding is that the snowmobiling ends and skiing begins at the base of that west-facing slope. It's all wilderness east of there. Does that comport with your experience?
    Depends on who see's and respects the signs. East of there is definitely not designated wilderness. Sleds do go in once and a while from my experience even though it is signed.