Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tamarack in Idaho ???

Good/bad enough mountain to keep one happy ???

Snow machine would help. Nice area.

Are they still operating as a ski area?

Yeah. Owned by the condo association I think. Fun little area. Not as good as Brundage IMO. My in-laws have a condo in Donnelly about 15 minutes away, so we ski there a handful of times a year.

For $250 you can get a season pass if you have a pass somewhere else.

How is the backcountry/side country access at either one and is there terrain in either that requires avi control.

In other words is there some decent sustained steeps at either

My bud from Boise has a house in McCall and mostly skis Brundage.
    I'd worry about an HOA having the fortitude to keep the lifts spinning long term.

Tamarack is interesting. I had a season pass one year for $199. There's a fair bit of vertical (2,500' or so) if the whole mountain is open, but the base gets rain and warm temps fairly often. The crowd factor is so low, it's definitely a hidden gem. There's tons of touring access and some pretty cool features if you look around.

They took a lift out at some point during the last bankruptcy, so a bunch of the terrain became side country accessible. No experience with it, so I can't comment on the avi stuff or other touring options.

The real gem of the area is the lick creek backcountry zone northeast of McCall ...

Tam is fun but realistically, the top lift has the most fun terrain and it makes for short laps. The sidecountry just to the north is great but then you run into the issue that Superior mentioned: it has enough vertical and a weird enough climate that it'll frequently be puking up top and raining on sticky, terrible snow down lower. In short, it's fun for a day or two.

Brundage is more fun for a longer duration, though, and generally sees more snow, to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    They took a lift out at some point during the last bankruptcy, so a bunch of the terrain became side country accessible. No experience with it, so I can't comment on the avi stuff or other touring options.
    ..... sounds like you dont know what the fuck you're talking about??
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    ..... sounds like you dont know what the fuck you're talking about??
    Care to enlighten us then?

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Care to enlighten us then?
    no need for enlightenment as long as people with no experience keep us well-informed ........

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    no need for enlightenment as long as people with no experience keep us well-informed ........
    What the fuck man? I'm not pretending to know more than I do, just trying to contribute where I can. If you have more to add, or if I'm wrongon my facts, let me know.

How many days do I need to have out there before I am allowed to post in here again?

So, is this true or false news:
    http://www.seattletimes.com/life/tra...daho-ski-lift/

and this:
    http://tamarackidaho.com/wp-content/...-NR__final.pdf

Disclaimer: I have not skied Tamarack, guided or unguided. But I do read with marginal comprehension and disillusion.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I like that they are controlling that area. Seemed like there were some good zones out there when I saw it last.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    I have only skied Tamarack once back in 2008. I found the inbounds terrain to have lots of steep to flat areas that would create a feeling of compression on the transitions. I thought that the sidecountry runs (I did one run each on the far skier's left and far skier's right boundaries) to be much more enjoyable in terms of both terrain and conditions. My impression was that the layout of the ski area was based on being connected to condos and homes at the base rather than what would be best for skiing. While I found both Bogus Basin and Brundage to offer a better skiing experience, I'm still glad that I got to ski Tamarack before they removed a lift.

sorry for being a dick PB: some old-time friends from AK rolled through town and we spent the weekend fucked up on bourbon and blow. I shoulda stayed away from the computer ..........

Ha. All good

The Tamarack lift that was removed, as part of the foreclosure settlement, as their Wildwood chair, now resides at Brundage as their Lakeview chair. The tamarack tree grove that they cut the lift line through is a fun ski. They just need a shuttle bus service now. Yeah right, like that would ever happen given that the base area is still in shambles just waiting to be torched, the hotel is partially built with tyvex wrap blowing around in the breeze, the bar and food service is limited. You'd be much better off tailgating if you really want some beers and food.

Really kind of sad scene when you drive up to the parking lot at Tamarack with the fenced up hotel, condos, and base area amenities looking like a ghetto.

The terrain at Tamarack is, let's just say, interesting. No flow whatsoever, some steepness to flat back to steep back to flat. Seriously. Lot's of traversing to get to anything remotely good with a consistent fall line. When the groomers are in there, it's kind of fun.

Whoever designed Tamarack was definitely not a skier, if they were, they would've put a lift to the sweet steep bowl to the north.

I Ski TamFlats more than 40 days a year and every post here is screwed up one way or another. B of A pulled the High Speed Wildwood lift in 2008 and is now in Utah. Brundage has one high speed quad and the backside lift they bought at a garage sale before painting. Please stay at Brundage, as we maybe getting some upgrades at the flats.

Quote Originally Posted by GlimmerIII View Post
    I Ski TamFlats more than 40 days a year and every post here is screwed up one way or another. B of A pulled the High Speed Wildwood lift in 2008 and is now in Utah. Brundage has one high speed quad and the backside lift they bought at a garage sale before painting. Please stay at Brundage, as we maybe getting some upgrades at the flats.
    Haha, I hope Tam’Iraq keeps its ghetto charms. Loved that place and it reminds me more of a British Columbia / PNW resort stuck in time.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Haha, I hope Tam’Iraq keeps its ghetto charms. Loved that place and it reminds me more of a British Columbia / PNW resort stuck in time.

Weird statement being that's it's the newest resort in the United States. Or I think it is, not 100% on that. Unfinished real estate that makes the area look bombed?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Tamarack in Idaho ???

Yeah, I’ll give you that. Mostly just the balmy weather and lack of crowds make me say that it’s from another world. The strange hotel edifice is ... not ideal. Any word on whether it will ever be developed or knocked down?

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Weird statement being that's it's the newest resort in the United States. Or I think it is, not 100% on that. Unfinished real estate that makes the area look bombed?
    I think Cherry Peak, UT might hold that title.