Salomon Ghost Max 130

Have my eye on a pair of the 2016 models, just a few questions before I pull the trigger.

1. How similar is the fit to the MTN Lab? I heard they modeled the fit from the MTN Lab off the Ghost.

2. Is the shell heat moldable? I know the MTN Lab technically isn't, but a skilled bootfitter can mold it (they have for me).

Anyone have any experience on them and want to add anything?

Huh....My brains tired after a long work week.

Salomon Ghost Max 130

I have skied the Ghost Max for years now, I have multiple pairs. I have had MTN labs as well. Same size (27.5) for both.

The shape of the inner boot is fairly similar, although the MTN lab is much more comfortable.

The ghost is much tighter above the instep and forefoot. Heels are both similarly shaped though. I can ski the MTN lab with no pain, and it still performs well all day. The Ghost max is painfully tight in comparison, but also a much better alpine boot for precision.

If you fit into the Ghost, you should fit into the MTN Lab and experience more comfort. I would recommend.

However, If you fit into the MTN lab, I wouldnt necessarily recommend the Ghost. Not unless you want more pain and torture, or the MTN lab is too high volume for you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 09-16-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Like Beteguese says, the instep and midfoot is tighter even though the 98mm forefoot width is the same. It is "Custom Shell" so yes, heat moldable.

FWIW, any boot can be cooked in an oven and it doesn't take any particular skill. You'll almost always realize some benefit, but results vary depending on the plastic. It takes a bit of skill to widen the MTN Lab shell substantially without creating a big dip in toebox height.

Salomon Ghost Max 130

The ghost has some pretty insane overlapping instep plastic. I have tried heat molding, and it didnt do much. Not as much as it would to the other areas of fit.

The most beneficial thing that I did for that area, was grind the bootboard and my insert down a little bit for more height. I also barely buckle the lower part. Its so tight as is, the buckle doesnt really do much for me. It has one of the tightest instep heights I have ever experienced, without being so bad it's unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    The ghost has some pretty insane overlapping instep plastic. I have tried heat molding, and it didnt do much. Not as much as it would to the other areas of fit.

The most beneficial thing that I did for that area, was grind the bootboard and my insert down a little bit for more height. I also barely buckle the lower part. Its so tight as is, the buckle doesnt really do much for me. It has one of the tightest instep heights I have ever experienced, without being so bad it's unbearable.

Interesting. We'll see if we can make it work on my foot. I don't have a massive instep, but it's not small.

When I had the MTN Labs heat molded, it didn't need too much work. Just a little bit over the instep due to the liners more than anything.

Thanks guys.

If it doesn't work, I'll post em on gearswap.

The MTN Lab is like a loafer compared to the Lockjaw Ghost 130. Good luck with that instep..

The design of the 2 buckle system calls for extra overlapping plastic in the instep. Instead of a buckle to keep you secure, that plastic is what holds your foot down.

The MTN Lab is like a loafer compared to the Lockjaw Ghost 130. Good luck with that instep..

The design of the 2 buckle system calls for extra overlapping plastic in the instep. Instead of a buckle to keep you secure, that plastic is what holds your foot down.

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Unfortunately no way to try em on without a purchase in the 130, and those don't pop on the market too often in good condition.

Thanks for all your help.

Na they dont. And when they do, I try to snag them up. I have a seriously low volume foot for my size, and love the 130s

Na they dont. And when they do, I try to snag them up. I have a seriously low volume foot for my size, and love the 130s

Ive only heard good things, if they fit.

I'm hoping they do for me.

They have significantly lower volume in the instep than say a Lange RX(and RS) 130 LV.

They have significantly lower volume in the instep than say a Lange RX(and RS) 130 LV.
    Never tried a Lange RX 130 LV, used to ski the 130 (non-LV model) a few years back and hated it. Found my foot was swimming. Switched to a Cochise Pro Light, had some work done for width in the big toe area, but that was it. Only instep work I ever had done was for an OLD race boot, Atomic RT TI which was a 95mm width

What size are you? if you don't like it, I may buy it from you. However I do hope it works for you, because it really is a ripping boot.

What size are you? if you don't like it, I may buy it from you. However I do hope it works for you, because it really is a ripping boot.
    Unfortunately a 26.5, so a full size smaller than what you'd need.

Well, they arrived.

Stuck my MTN Lab liners+footbeds in to see how a molded liner would feel.

So far, so good. Definitely narrower in the forefoot area, but nothing a little molding can't fix. Some light pressure on the top of the foot but that could be due to the liner being molded for the MTN Lab versus Ghost. This all may change when it isn't 90 degrees here and my foot isn't swollen as well.

Can't give a good impression on flex either, everything feels like rubber.

Seems like I'll have found a solid inbounds boot to go alongside the MTN Lab.

ghost 130 in 26.5, love em but liners are done, got some intuitions but they are so tight i can't stay in the boots for more than a couple hours. Either of you get through the initial pain and stick with intuitions for ghost 130?

anyone reading have 26.5 ghost 130 liner that you don't use and want to sell?
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Just skied my first day in the Ghosts. Like em, but definitely need work done.

Also, getting them on and off is a pain in the ass with that plastic cover over the bottom. Guess I'll have to go back to race-style liner insert to get my foot in.

Salomon Ghost Max 130

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Just skied my first day in the Ghosts. Like em, but definitely need work done.

Also, getting them on and off is a pain in the ass with that plastic cover over the bottom. Guess I'll have to go back to race-style liner insert to get my foot in.
    Ya they are tight, to say the least. I need to have my boot board ground down a couple of mm’s.

You gotta put the liner on first, then insert foot/liner into shell. Cody Townsend made a nice video on how to get into the Ghost a while back.

Looks like there's a new Ghost coming.

I don't think Jeremie Heitz skis a 100 flex or less...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 4.02.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	219564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 4.02.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	219564