Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hardtail rims

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    So far, the front runner is a Hope Tech Enduro wheel from CRC. The price is good, and they sound pretty bomber, and I've done well with Hope hubs. The only downside is the 23 mm internal rim width, but I don't intend on running super wide tires.
    Have you tried their wheel builder? Typically not much more for a custom wheel. I've heard mixed reviews of CRC wheels, but I have a set that's been completely solid. I wouldn't hesitate to run 2.3 tires on a 23mm rim, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    So, does anybody think spoke count could be a contributing factor?
    Yes. More spokes = more dispersed loading when you whack something

Hardtail rims

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Get off the internet and 23mm wide rims work really well. Also what HankScorpio said. Lots of wide, light rims out there end up being pretty soft.

Those hope wheels are kinda heavy eh?. They weigh a little more than my dh wheels. Pretty good price though.
    What DH wheels are you using?

Not sure where the weight comes from. Both the hubs and rims are pretty standard, not especially heavy.

I weighed a wheel I have around (27.5 Easton ARC 27 on Hope Pro 2 with 32 straight gauge spokes) and it was around 1050 g.
    Last edited by D(C); 10-05-2017 at 01:36 PM.

What DH wheels are you using?

Not sure where the weight comes from. Both the hubs and rims are pretty standard, not especially heavy.

I weighed a wheel I have around (27.5 Easton ARC 27 on Hope Pro 2 with 32 straight gauge spokes) and it was around 1050 g.
    Industry nine grade dh, 26" (1830g, kind of silly). Just ordered some trail versions based on my satisfaction with those. The hope wheels might just have heavy rims.

I don't know your wheel bashing habits but the weight was just something I noticed on those.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I9 just upgraded my rear wheel to one of the Grade rims after I had slightly less than stellar luck with one of their Enduro rims. So far so good.

I think I may go with the same setup on the new bike, Grade in the back and Enduro in the front.

Having ridden behind you before I'm not surprised in the least

They're the same width now so yeah, why not. I've dinged the shit out of the grades but I do that with every rim. The important part is no flats with them. For what they weigh and for how easy they are to relace, I'm down.

We'll see how much abuse these little 24.5 trail rims can take.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 10-05-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Get off the internet and 23mm wide rims work really well.
    Thank you for the top notch signature suggestion.

I've run everything from 21-29 IW rims with 2.3's at 20psi tubeless front and rear on 29er hard tails and my 21's have held up the best and have required the least amount of truing. Like none so far in 3 months of hard thrashing in rocky rooty terrain on the current Roval's. And the 21's are nice and light.

Far less rims strikes than on the wider rims too. Wins all over the place.

I've beaten the shit out of a 1st generation pair of Ibis 938's. 2,000 hard earned miles under a shit rider and heavy bike. They have their fair share of dings, but are still true and have only busted a spoke or two. I took apart the hub a couple of months ago to service it and the bearings were still mint, and the grease wasn't even dirty. For the price, I don't think they can be beat. With a 34mm inner width, my Hans Dampf rounds out quite well.

I heard they finally started making those tires in a way that the knobs don’t tear off on the 2nd ride. The shop guys were really raving about the new addix stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post

My rear rim has the same looking ding. When I swap out a new tire (which will be soon) can I just use the o'l crescent wrench to straighten it back out?

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    My rear rim has the same looking ding. When I swap out a new tire (which will be soon) can I just use the o'l crescent wrench to straighten it back out?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    That's what I did. Depends on the rim though, I cracked a Stans Flow doing the same thing.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I heard they finally started making those tires in a way that the knobs don’t tear off on the 2nd ride. The shop guys were really raving about the new addix stuff.
    I'll believe that when I see it.

Call Gravy and consider having him
    build your wheels. http://www.gravywheels.com/95.html

Dude built me a set of wheels 15 years ago and they're still going strong. Never even had to true them.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Call Gravy and consider having him
    build your wheels. http://www.gravywheels.com/95.html

Dude built me a set of wheels 15 years ago and they're still going strong. Never even had to true them.
    Looks like they haven't updated their website since you ordered your wheels.....

That's what I did. Depends on the rim though, I cracked a Stans Flow doing the same thing.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, at least my ARCs bend back as easily as they are dented.

Looks like they haven't updated their website since you ordered your wheels.....
    Dude builds good wheels and listens to old ska. That's about it.

Been super happy with my spank oozy's on my canfield build. Pretty bomber for a "trail wheel"

So my Heist rear wheel is officially dead. I'm considering the following options:

Hope Tech Enduro - Hope Pro 4 hub is the front runner, but the rim is 23 mm wide and it's one of the heavier options. At least I get a sweet hub to work with if I toast the rim.

Sun Ringle Duroc 30 - I did well with my old Charger Pro. This wheel is the cheapest of the bunch, and rims are 27 mm wide internally. I haven't heard much about the longterm durability of the rims. The wheel has 28 spokes, and I'd rather have 32.

Stans Arch MK3 - I'd go Flow for strength, but I still have the Heist 27 front wheel and don't want to go wider in back. Will the Arch hold up? How are the Stans hubs?

Which should I go with?

Anything else I should consider that's under $300 or so?

Also, this is what a Heist/ARC rim looks like after one descent down a rocky trail without a tire.

Also, this is what a Heist/ARC rim looks like after one descent down a rocky trail without a tire.

A little club soda will get that right out.
    Montani Semper Liberi

My LBS is building me up an Arch MK3 on Hope Pro 4. I'm planning to throw a Huck Norris in there. Fingers crossed...

Send in a photo, with an explanation "I was just riding along, and..."

https://www.eastoncycling.com/support/warranty-form/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I switched up to spank oozy trail 295. These are a great set of stiff tough wheels. Good price point too

Fresh and Deep.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Send in a photo, with an explanation "I was just riding along, and..."

https://www.eastoncycling.com/support/warranty-form/
    I had emailed them about buying a replacement 28h rim prior to that fateful ride and never heard back. I wouldn’t expect to hear back now.