Squaw Valley's Andy Wirth accuses local media of dramatically misrepresenting facts

Moonshine Ink's Response

We Respond to Squaw’s Allegations

Everything Andy has ever said is true.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

This Squaw saga is sorta amusing. Many of the strongest opposing voices are from people who have made a living off of exploiting the area thru film and other types of media.

wtf has that got to do with it??
    how did their 'exploitation' affect others ability to enjoy the valley? how did their 'exploitation' dramatically change the valley forever?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Squaw Valley's Andy Wirth accuses local media of dramatically misrepresenting facts

Well simply put the popularity of the freeskier movement that was centered in Squaw was no doubt a large part of the resorts massive success over the last 20-30 years.

That success in turn caused every issue you hear people bitch about. Namely crowds and the perceived need for expansion.

Also I think it's worth noting that since the very beginning Squaw has been all about obnoxious mountain development to the point of excess. It's really what made the place. Without it they would not have hosted the Olympics.

Anyhow never mind me. Just thoughts from a outsider.

Public, corporate, and government sentiments change.

The planned expansions sound to me like the classic golf course style development, which is similar to many other resorts, at least in the west. In the Tahoe area, the planned and approved kirkwood expansion has been the most annoying because it was a really bad idea, the approving governments (counties) ignored some very large issues that were brought to their attention, and very poor execution. It was such a bad idea that Vail didn't want to touch it when they bought the ski hill.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Anyhow never mind me. Just thoughts from a outsider.
    Yeah, you don't really get the situation. Their stupid fucking village won't just make Squaw an even bigger shit-show than it already is, it will have a dramatic negative impact on Truckee and Tahoe City as well. Traffic and affordable employee housing is already a huge problem and this project has tipping point potential.

Calling out "fake news" is all the rage these days.

I wish there was actually independent journalism here in Vail. The Vail Daily would never/rarely speak ill of Vail Resorts or report anything that happened on the mountain that could shed negative light on VR.