Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AM 29er HT budget build suggestions

I've been thinking about picking up a AM 29er HT for a while now, and with altachic effectively killing her 575 yesterday now would be a good time to do it. The most sensible and wallet-friendly thing to do would just be to buy a Honzo AL for $1400, throw a Brand X dropper on it and call it good. But, Canfield has Yelli Screamy frames on sale for $420, which makes going custom tempting.

So, if you were going to build a Yelli and not break the bank how would you do it? Any other frames I should consider?
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-14-2017 at 01:51 PM.

How tall are you? I'm about to list my Yelli for sale. It's a large but it's on the shorter side of things compared to current geo.

I'm 5-6, wife is 5-4.

Do the custom build, it's fun. That's only if you have the patience for it though. Shop the sales and used parts one piece at a time. If you get in a rush it'll end up costing much more than an off the shelf model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm 5-6, wife is 5-4.
    Probably won't work if you're looking for a bike for both of you but you're welcome to check it out if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Probably won't work if you're looking for a bike for both of you but you're welcome to check it out if you're interested.
    Appreciate the offer, but probably not a good fit. Having owned one though, what are your thoughts on small vs medium for us diminutive types? I can't seem to find a size chart on their site.

Canfield is offering some nice discounts on parts if you buy a frame. $150 off a wheelset, $250 off a DVO Diamond or MRP Stage, $360 off a Pike.

I don't think this qualifies for being budget but I really like the Chromag Surface

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Appreciate the offer, but probably not a good fit. Having owned one though, what are your thoughts on small vs medium for us diminutive types? I can't seem to find a size chart on their site.

Canfield is offering some nice discounts on parts if you buy a frame. $150 off a wheelset, $250 off a DVO Diamond or MRP Stage, $360 off a Pike.
    I'd go longer but sizing is so much personal preference. I always felt like the large was a little on the short side for me at 5'11.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Do the custom build, it's fun. That's only if you have the patience for it though. Shop the sales and used parts one piece at a time. If you get in a rush it'll end up costing much more than an off the shelf model.
    Man, even using bike-discount.de pricing for parts I'll end up paying a lot more than the Honzo. The Honzo build is nothing to brag about but pretty great for the price.

I rode the crap out of a Kona Taro for 3 years. The Honzo Al would be a great buy. You can chip away at upgrades as stuff needs replacing.

I've been enjoying my Salsa Timberjack 29er for the last few months. I've made a few upgrades but overall it's been a great bike for the price. Super fun.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    I don't think this qualifies for being budget but I really like the Chromag Surface
    The Rootdown is essentially the same bike, but a fuckton cheaper.

Dan, I think either the Honza or the Yelli are your best bet. I'd also look at Surly and Salsa, they're putting out some fun bikes lately. Niner's ROS 9 wasn't a bad whip either. If you really want to keep it cheap, do a good inventory of what parts you have on hand, and what you can get for cheap. Pick your frame accordingly.

Dude, find a Stache to play with. LBS had a 7 on the floor marked down to $1799.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

All good options, one more is the specialized fuse (yes it comes 27.5+ but I run mine 29er). Pretty much same geo as honzo, but you get two water bottle mounts

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Dude, find a Stache to play with. LBS had a 7 on the floor marked down to $1799.
    Worth throwing a leg over one for sure. Plus tires are big fat "meh" for me though, at least on paper. I can put regular tires on it, of course, but apparently Trek recommends running a longer fork if you do that since the BB is already low with the 3.0s on there.

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    All good options, one more is the specialized fuse (yes it comes 27.5+ but I run mine 29er). Pretty much same geo as honzo, but you get two water bottle mounts
    Too bad they don't offer 29 as a stock option.

Any interest in SS? For me it was a great way to make the same old bench trails fun again. Cheaper too. I sold mine to fund my latest bike but kinda wish I'd kept it.

On second thought it probably wouldn't be great for riding with the kid.

I've definitely thought about SS. It wouldn't matter much for riding with the kid. It would be good for fitness and would differentiate it even more from our FS bikes. The simplicity would be nice. Not huge cost savings but would save a decent amount. Need to discuss it with AC since it might be her only bike for a while and her knee may need gears. I would also ride this bike a lot in Draper, and when I ride there I prefer to ride from home. That's 12 miles RT of flat pavement where it would suck to be spun out the whole time.

The flat pavement part sounds like your biggest negative. I worried about my bad knee, but honestly, I have just as much knee pain after a big ride on my geared bike as I did on the SS. It really does make the same old trail interesting again.

I'm very meh on the higher profile 27.5+ stuff, and FS 29+ seems like overkill and can't get crazy short in the tooshie like a HT. I don't really want a hardtail, but Stache is what I'd get if I did. Riding buddy has his Stache setup SS. He's had it slip occasionally from flex, but he's a big dude.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I love my Surface, perfect 29er hardtail geo. I was lucky enough to buy it for cheap and barely used off a riding buddy.

I'd consider a Rootdown for a budget hardtail - same frame just made overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Rootdown is the same as the Primer. The surface is less aggro geo.

Get the SS.

SS doesn't cause knee problems.

Riders who refuse to stand up when they should stand up, that's what causes knee problems!

Check out a belt if you go SS.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Get the SS.

SS doesn't cause knee problems.

Riders who refuse to WALK up when they should WALK up, that's what causes knee problems!
    Let me fix that for you.

It was hard on mine. Three years full time, I'm
    Not Going back.

Do you own one?