Do you own one?
    I don't, but this is pretty high on my list of two-wheeled-want

http://www.chromagbikes.com/bikes/surface-ti-27-5-29
    Alpental Indigenous

AM 29er HT budget build suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    I don't, but this is pretty high on my list of two-wheeled-want

http://www.chromagbikes.com/bikes/surface-ti-27-5-29
    I've been collecting parts to build a Chromag 29HT, and was ready to pull the trigger on a Surface, until I saw that the Ti version is ready to ship. I'm now pondering spending a few extra $$....

Made for a 150 fork? Damn. For the price, you'd be better off with a Canfield EPO. Less money and carbon.
    Serious question: what does that kind of fork travel gain you on a hardtail? Is there some kind of geo that can be achieved where the front is high but it corners well? The front isn't that high? Not implying anything, just asking.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'd just get the Honzo and be done with it. I've loved my steel one, and have used it for everything from riding up and then down lift accessible trails, as well as racing XC. I also plan to use it for long Bikepacking tours, and currently, its set up as a SS. I actually planned on finding and alloy frame to replace it, but this thing is still working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I've definitely thought about SS. It wouldn't matter much for riding with the kid. It would be good for fitness and would differentiate it even more from our FS bikes. The simplicity would be nice. Not huge cost savings but would save a decent amount. Need to discuss it with AC since it might be her only bike for a while and her knee may need gears. I would also ride this bike a lot in Draper, and when I ride there I prefer to ride from home. That's 12 miles RT of flat pavement where it would suck to be spun out the whole time.
    I had a Kona Unit SS for a few years. I loved it, and I think SS made me a better rider, cut down on cost, etc. But riding a bunch of miles on pavement with it sucked enough that I got a SS roadie with much stiffer gearing to supplement it, even though money was tight.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Made for a 150 fork? Damn. For the price, you'd be better off with a Canfield EPO. Less money and carbon.
    Serious question: what does that kind of fork travel gain you on a hardtail? Is there some kind of geo that can be achieved where the front is high but it corners well? The front isn't that high? Not implying anything, just asking.
    Usually, a person has to ride bikes a little before he can appreciate such things. Tough to do from a chair in an apartment, or from your iPhone on the toilet.

Yes, Junior, there are riders who have fun with that much travel in a fork, linked to an unsuspended rear wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I had a Kona Unit SS for a few years. I loved it, and I think SS made me a better rider, cut down on cost, etc. But riding a bunch of miles on pavement with it sucked
    That can be fixed with the dinglespeed, running 2 rings up front and 2 cogs out back. Swapping gears obviously requires stopping, loosening rear axle, moving the chain, retightening axle. I have 36x18 parallel with 32x22 on my SS. Makes the 7 miles of cross-town ride to/from trailhead, mostly paved&flat, much less annoying. Eespecially on the way home if I'm hungry!

Can do it with cassette-style hubs pretty easily, and if your rear hub is a screw-on freewheel type, I think White Industries still makes screw-on freewheels with parallel cogs machined in them. Their gear range choices were pretty narrow, though, from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Let me fix that for you.

It was hard on mine. Three years full time, I'm
    Not Going back.
    It wasn't because it was SS. It was because of your approach to SS.

A geared bike is just a bunch of SS gear setups, changeable at whim. You know how to gear low enough to not hurt your knees on the geared bike, right?

So you probably ran too big a gear, and sat down too much of the time for that gear in the settings where maybe you should have been standing.

Or running a lower/smaller gear, if you wanted to stay in the saddle.

Too big a gear for your situation will amplify knee-aggravating things like poor foot position (on flats or via cleats on clipless), poor saddle height adjustment, poor saddle fore/aft adjustment. So it's even possible it wasn't just because you chose too big a gear or chose to sit instead of stand.

Anyway, my SS suggestion wasn't an order directed at you, it was a response to DTM's original post.

Totally not budget at all but the GG Pedalhead is the funnest 29" I've ever ridden, maybe the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Wonderful feel on the rear stays, super low BB, and wonderful cockpit geo - fun fun fun.

I currently lust after that bike and had I not just moved into a new house (and bought a bunch of furniture) I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

You guys would need a size small on that frame.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post

Anyway, my SS suggestion wasn't an order directed at you, it was a response to DTM's original post.
    His wife has knee issues and will also be riding the bike.
    I'm sure I was doing something wrong, riding everyday and all.
    But it's a lot easier to dial in a gear, when you have 11 or 12 to choose from, with you all the time.