Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Um guys... You can DL any ski movie on Vimeo. Never rent them! Pay the extra $5.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I am excited to watch the movie but I cannot say enough bad things about vimeo and their purchasing and customer support. I stopped paying for their pro plan years ago since their platform was eons behind youtube. I generally avoid watching videos hosted there since they usually come with playback issues. The purchasing experience here (in which they also charged me a rental fee) only reinforces my disdain.
    Now to the video.
    Vimeo is better than any other platform for the user in every way because you can download an original file, non restricted file. So you get better quality that can be moved to any device you own without restrictions. You don't need any proprietary software to play it. Play it with whatever you prefer. Simple and easy. Don't stream off vimeo. Download, which obviously requires a purchase and not a rental. We are working on iTunes and other platforms. They are coming.

^^^^ this 100% non restricted is pure win.

For other ski titles (TGR, MSP, Level 1 etc) search "The Orchard." They have all the extreme sports titles, all avaliable for download.

Congrats Atrain!

Finally got around to watching Numinous and it's pretty sweet. Great skiing, of course, but loved the style and atmosphere. Some very original angles too. I really liked in the Tantalus segment when the drone was fairly close and right at the same level as the skier or just below him... it really captured how steep the lines were and the slough coming down with each turn. Felt like it was something I'd never seen before, which is tough to pull off in a ski movie these days.

Congrats! Extremely well done.

On another note, Kye's skiing is starting to remind me a little of Coombs. He makes it look so smooth and easy when clearly it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Vimeo is better than any other platform for the user in every way because you can download an original file, non restricted file. So you get better quality that can be moved to any device you own without restrictions. You don't need any proprietary software to play it. Play it with whatever you prefer. Simple and easy. Don't stream off vimeo. Download, which obviously requires a purchase and not a rental. We are working on iTunes and other platforms. They are coming.
    That makes sense.
    Their streaming is what always killed me. Was never fast enough and stopped buffering if I hit pause to let it catch up. Their ticket system is quite bulky too.

The movie was awesome btw.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I watched it again last night. I have watched all, or part, of Numinous about 10 times. It is a masterpiece, and Kye Peterson might just have dropped the best performance since Candide in Few Words. That's debatable, but what is not is that this is an insane movie. I liked both the MSP and TGR offerings, particularly MSP because of the Squaw footage, but Numinous has to be movie of the year. I have not seen the Faction movie yet.

Congrats to everyone who put this together. Numinous is a masterpiece.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Athan - Nice work to you, Nic, and Kye. Was hoping to run into you give you a proper high five. Haven't been that entertained in while. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Numinous has to be movie of the year.
    Congrats to everyone who put this together. Numinous is a masterpiece.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffTheory3 View Post
    Athan - Nice work to you, Nic, and Kye. Was hoping to run into you give you a proper high five. Haven't been that entertained in while. Congrats.
    Congrats on Magnetic Jeff! High fives soon! Was so stoked on the film when I saw it at If3. Go watch some free ski movie goodness people courtesy of Whistler.

Great flick. Wish those guys were better skiers lol... Logan was pretty cool with my kid a few years ago at Wrangle the chute when he was about 12 trying to follow Logan around (now 15) - seems like a high quality character.

I saw it recently, and I thought the Tantalus segment had the coolest terrain and the most amazing snow conditions I've ever seen. Almost hard to believe it was real. So fucking awesome to see that kind of riding and filming, keep it coming!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Awesome riding.
    Awesome cinematography.
    Awesome editing.

Horrible Distribution Platform. Whose idea was Vimeo?

This is clearly a Kye Promo vid with a bunch of other rad contributors. For them, I feel gutted. 20 (whatever) people as a team worked their asses off for more than a year, Kye skis some sick lines, other throw big lines as well, and the production team (who's broke, obviously) capitalizes on drones and modern software to edit together what I can only gather as one of the sickest ski films in history.

WTF were you thinking distributing though Vimeo? Do you have any idea how many viewers you lost?

You almost lost me. But I'm a die-hard old guy wiling to wait for shotty download times (literally took me 3 hours to download this file via Vimeo.)

Then Kye announces (albeit quite professionally) his departure from 4FRNT.

I'm gonna say it-- Those three kids in the editing bay with their drones and the few kids on the block who can fluidly throw ridiculous lines just reinvented the ski-film industry.

But Fuck Vimeo.

And no mention of 4FRNT. Not in the credits, nothing. Am I to understand that this year's (presumed) rider-of-the-year is not supported by the company for which he designed his signature ski? I saw the name-shift to Col 6 months ago. But, damn...

This film just flipped the industry upside down. Sponsors are no longer relevant. Tech-savvy photogs with artful eyes... combined with talented riders now own their own production companies.

Time to hoard Renegades, I guess. This film sure as shit didn't help their cause.
    Last edited by gaijin; 12-14-2017 at 07:37 AM.

I would assume Kye and 4FRNT parting ways happened (unofficially) quite a while ago and it just wasn't announced until recently?

I agree Vimeo sucks - wish I could easily pull this movie up on Apple TV like most others. I mean, you can still access it that way but their interface is clunky as hell.

Yeah Vimeo can be kind of annoying, but at least your can download your video DRM free, where iTunes encryption only allows your logged in username to watch on iTunes or an iPhone. Not a problem for most, but its annoying for certain situations.

Plus i think the artist gets 90% of the profits on vimeo vs 70% on iTunes.

1) I don't mind the Vimeo thing.. and if you read a few responses up... they've been working with other distribution.
    2) Between Kye and Logan, there should be skier of the year, line of the year, and maybe a few other awards as well.
    3) Sponsorship and $$ is still going to VERY important to getting those projects done. It still costs money to live, get to the different zones, etc. The fact they did this mostly 'local' is just a bonus for the year.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Congrats to Dentrite Studios, Numinous, Kye and Logan for cleaning up at the Powder Awards! Well Deserved!

Wow, congrats! https://www.powder.com/stories/winne...powder-awards/

Hope you guys are working on another one! :-)

First off we are stoked on the Powder Awards! Movie of the year!!! Wow. Kye with Full Throttle Award. Logan with Line of the year. And Best Post Production. I couldn't make the awards due to a shoot, but Nic, Kye, Logan, Wiley, and Tatum were down there representing. Tatum won female of the year for her part in Habit which is downright incredible. Spins off spines is something never done by ladies before. Big thanks to Powder for throwing the awards and supporting all the hard work. It means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    I saw it recently, and I thought the Tantalus segment had the coolest terrain and the most amazing snow conditions I've ever seen. Almost hard to believe it was real. So fucking awesome to see that kind of riding and filming, keep it coming!
    The Tantalus are some of the most incredible mountains I have ever been in. Just stunning. The first day was all time snow. As good as it gets. Then the wind came. A few of those lines in there were actually bad, hard conditions and the guys still made it look easy. It wasn't. Let's put it this way. The first day I actually skied down the main face with my camera pack because conditions were so good I could not say no. Next film day there is no way you would catch me on that face. I toured back around the back.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Awesome riding.
    Awesome cinematography.
    Awesome editing.
    Horrible Distribution Platform. Whose idea was Vimeo?
    Then Kye announces (albeit quite professionally) his departure from 4FRNT.
    I'm gonna say it-- Those three kids in the editing bay with their drones and the few kids on the block who can fluidly throw ridiculous lines just reinvented the ski-film industry.
    And no mention of 4FRNT. Not in the credits, nothing. Am I to understand that this year's (presumed) rider-of-the-year is not supported by the company for which he designed his signature ski? I saw the name-shift to Col 6 months ago. But, damn...
    This film just flipped the industry upside down. Sponsors are no longer relevant. Tech-savvy photogs with artful eyes... combined with talented riders now own their own production companies.
    We did vimeo at the start because of the 90% vs. 70%. We thought we would wait a month and then move to iTunes. We messed up that Nic and I are a small two man company handling all the producing aspects (thousands of hours of office work) on top of regular jobs (I've shot 10 episodes of tv for Nat Geo and a feature length doc in the last 6 months) because we have to pay our personal bills and Numinous did not have enough sponsor budget to cover Nic or my pay for the work put in. We paid all the rest of the crew and covered all our expenses, but we are hoping to pay ourselves on the back end. Long way to go. We messed up and the two of us forgot that iTunes take 60 days to get online because of all the steps. We are almost there. Another week or two and it should be up. We have hired outside producing help for commercials in the past, unfortunately we did not have the budget to do that for this project so things slipped through the cracks. Next full length film we have both agreed we need enough budget off the top to hire a 3rd full time producer. Not optional. Coming home after a long 12 hour+ shoot day in the rain and mud staring at my computer knowing I need to put in at least a few hours of straight office work for months on end was taxing to say the least.

We had many phone calls and emails with 4frnt. Both before and after Jlev. Their argument and I think you can see that in their team cuts is why support a big film when every semi pro can throw little edits and photos on social media and get the same amount of actual views. My argument is as follows. Because combining the top riders with professional filmmaking team equals the most legitimacy for the product. There is no other possible combination that is going to make the athletes and the skiing, and therefore the products look better. None. It doesn't exist. I think we proved that. Too bad because we could have used a little extra cash so our release and marketing could have gone smoother!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I agree Vimeo sucks - wish I could easily pull this movie up on Apple TV like most others. I mean, you can still access it that way but their interface is clunky as hell.
    Vimeo + Can be put online is a matter of hours. 90%. User can download and use on any device with any platform. Zero restrictions. Can transfer from device to device.
    Itunes + Ease of use. More random users. It's coming. A week or two and it will be up.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    1)
    3) Sponsorship and $$ is still going to VERY important to getting those projects done. It still costs money to live, get to the different zones, etc. The fact they did this mostly 'local' is just a bonus for the year.
    Absolutely vital. Without cash films don't get made. We had just enough cash to make this film work. We needed more. We won't do another one without more. Plain and simple. Getting cash in this bro brah industry is like pulling teeth sometimes. We've done one minute commercials for close to the same budget as this full length film.

Some ideas/proposals are floating around for another one. If it comes to fruition it would be huge! Production would start next winter. This winter I need to ski a bit without the angry midget on my back!

Just call it a 2 year project like everyone else. ;-) Anyway, it was nice to see you guys get the recognition.

Congrats atrain!!! Really cool u guys are pushing the boundaries of what can b done with talent, vision, dedication, hard fucking work and not a lot of cash. I don't really watch ski movies but will make the effort to watch this one. Would have never looked at powder awards results and just also saw Ming got photo of the year. Exciting to see fresh air up at the top. Keep on shining+++

Congrats on all the awards, so well deserved. I find myself randomly watching segments of the film just to get stoked on skiing.

No complaints about Vimeo here. Streaming and download are fast, even at 4K, but I'm on Telus fibre optic internet.

Congrats atrain. I'll have to watch your work. Been a while since i sat for a ski flick, but this sounds good. I like the idea of film makers and not big studios making movies.

Numinous has to be my favorite flick of the last few years. IMO the hip hop/rap what ever I'm not a fan of in any movie. But it by no means down grades this film. 2 thumbs up ! 3 if I had them.
    Signed,
    No one of consequence.

We have a little instagram contest going on to win some schwag if anyone is interested. @dendritestudios
    Thanks for watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Congrats atrain. I'll have to watch your work. Been a while since i sat for a ski flick, but this sounds good. I like the idea of film makers and not big studios making movies.
    This flick is easy to sit through. It's a great movie.

Atrain...congrats on the awards.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!