Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    The length of time it takes to get back to normal activity after hernia repair is highly variable. Hope the 3-4 weeks works for you. You'll probably hear from someone who was back to crossfit in a week and someone who was off desk work for 2 months. Good point about getting into skiing shape before you ski--you lose it a lot faster than you get it back. Good luck.

Hernia Update

Hello All,

I figured I would give a 7 week update as we head into ski season. Unfortunately I havnt skied yet as we’re having a terrible year in the Midwest (again). I have however been working out in prep for an Alta/Snowbird trip in early Feb.

Bottom line is that I was back to normal activities around the middle of week 2 (working, travel, long walks) but it took til about week 4 to start any real physical activity and I didn’t start bodyweight leg workouts until weeks 5/6. Currently, possibly due to the bodyweight workouts I’m doing, I’m still feeling stiffness and soreness in the general area almost 2 months out. I don’t think it will keep me from skiing at all but I’m a bit surprised I’m not fully back. I have read that I can take up to 6 months to be fully there. Either way, the timelines you read online were pretty much right.

Even though there here is some soreness post 5 weeks it hasn’t stopped me from cycling, light running, body weight workouts, swimming, and jumping. I now look to skiing as well and will report any problems.

Bump. About 3 years after repair I managed to reinjure the hernia. It's small and doesn't really bother me, but I do have another one in my abdomen as well. I feel like I did it coughing but hard to say...I'm pretty active; ski tour, surf, weight train, don't really want to stop. 50th is coming up in a couple months and had some plans...

Birthday or anniversary? Either way, if it's not bothering you and not getting stuck feel free to wait on it until after your plans. Now about those plans--have you heard about this pandemic . . .

I assume you had an open repair as planned. Good chance that if you do have a recurrence they'll recommend a laparoscopic repair--that fixes the hernia from the back side, avoiding the scar tissue from the first operation. Can be done either way though.