Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Heal well, Goniff.

i've been putting off the repair after my Jetta TDI won a tug-of-war contest over a radiator hose . 'had an ultra-sound to make sure that bulge was just a hernia :- ... and after a consult last week, i have a pre-op clinic tomorrow and mesh surgery next week.... pretty sweet timing.

i managed to get in some time on the hill and AT in between ...

... so here's to all the advice on this and other threads, and looking forward to some Spring AT.
    i'll report back with any lessons learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    Adding another data point to this thread.
    I'm 7 days post bilateral laparoscopic inguinal hernia surgery. On the advice of my surgeon, I've been walking about 1 mile each day since the third day after the operation. One side of my groin has healed nicely and only has a general aching feeling while walking. The inflammation in the other side flairs up after about 2 minutes of walking resulting in a stabbing pain with each step (5 on a scale of 10) that persists for about 30 minutes after the walk.

I'm taking 400 mg of ibuprofen and 500 mg of acetaminophen every 6 hours. My surgeon told me to take a break from the walking for a week if I am having this much pain.
    FWIW nothing unusual about one side feeling a lot different than the other this soon after surgery. It's a concern if the painful side doesn't gradually start to improve in a few weeks or if it persists a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    FWIW nothing unusual about one side feeling a lot different than the other this soon after surgery. It's a concern if the painful side doesn't gradually start to improve in a few weeks or if it persists a few months.
    Two days of rest made a big difference. I was able to walk (very slowly) about .5 miles yesterday without pain killers and without too much discomfort. I will try to increase the distance each day.

Unlike the protocol I have seen elsewhere, my surgeon said I can go back to skiing as soon as I feel like I can do it. My ski goal will be reached when I can walk 5 miles without pain. Sadly, the carrot on my stick is half rotten due to the crappy weather we have been having in the northeast.

I walked 5 miles Saturday, hiked 2 hours Sunday and skied 15,000 vertical today. No issues skiing hero snow groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    I walked 5 miles Saturday, hiked 2 hours Sunday and skied 15,000 vertical today. No issues skiing hero snow groomers.
    There you go. Now if you're hurting today just take it easy again for a few days and don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There you go. Now if you're hurting today just take it easy again for a few days and don't worry.
    I was hurting Tuesday. Could barely walk a half mile. Felt much better this morning and skied another 15K. Now the goal is to be able to ski two days back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by CirculationSensitivityMotion View Post
    i've been putting off the repair after my Jetta TDI won a tug-of-war contest over a radiator hose . 'had an ultra-sound to make sure that bulge was just a hernia :- ... and after a consult last week, i have a pre-op clinic tomorrow and mesh surgery next week.... pretty sweet timing.

i managed to get in some time on the hill and AT in between ...

... so here's to all the advice on this and other threads, and looking forward to some Spring AT.
    i'll report back with any lessons learned.
    three days post op and lots of horizontal time ... some Tramadol to begin with but after a half day transitioned to a gram of Acetaminophen every six hours and 400 mg Ibuprofin three time a day (max daily of each). after day two, just ice 20 on 20 off. my sac is pretty swollen and some chafing.... hint: clean-up the surgical antiseptic ASAP,... they pour it on and it can be a bit irritating in the nooks and crannies.

walking about 1 k and some stairs each day. repair feels strong, so light firewood duty while my sweetie manages everything else. the repair was a little badminton birdie shaped device my surgeon inserted and stitched into the muscle gap; then the mesh on top of that.

of course, diet wise, go easy on the t-bones for a while; lots of fibre, juicing, and guard/support your incision when you feel a cough or a sneeze coming on.

pretty standard from what i read and hear, though my doc told me that about 10% off these procedures result in chronic pain.

that's it ...oh, but i should say, my youngest daughter just delivered a little girl - Violet ... our third grand baby ... best reason ever to stay in the best shape of your life !!

Quote Originally Posted by CirculationSensitivityMotion View Post
    three days post op and lots of horizontal time ... some Tramadol to begin with but after a half day transitioned to a gram of Acetaminophen every six hours and 400 mg Ibuprofin three time a day (max daily of each). after day two, just ice 20 on 20 off. my sac is pretty swollen and some chafing.... hint: clean-up the surgical antiseptic ASAP,... they pour it on and it can be a bit irritating in the nooks and crannies.

walking about 1 k and some stairs each day. repair feels strong, so light firewood duty while my sweetie manages everything else. the repair was a little badminton birdie shaped device my surgeon inserted and stitched into the muscle gap; then the mesh on top of that.

of course, diet wise, go easy on the t-bones for a while; lots of fibre, juicing, and guard/support your incision when you feel a cough or a sneeze coming on.

pretty standard from what i read and hear, though my doc told me that about 10% off these procedures result in chronic pain.

that's it ...oh, but i should say, my youngest daughter just delivered a little girl - Violet ... our third grand baby ... best reason ever to stay in the best shape of your life !!
    10% chronic pain is the literature figure. I practiced in a closed system where I would have seen back or heard about any chronic pain patients. IME the figure is a lot less and probably is for most surgeons since we've become aware of the problem and modified technique to prevent chronic pain. But 10% is the correct answer on an exam.

Mine popped mildly several weeks ago coughing but I was able to skin and ski big things with little to no pain, just a twinge in the right boy. Then skiing groomers yesterday at big sky it got bad. I didn’t know about lying down to make it go back in so I started driving. Somewhere on I15 I got dizzy and pulled the car frantically to the side so I could pass out. Not sure if I did. Then I slowly drove to the next exit. Got out to walk around the car to crawl in the back. I didn’t make it and woke up in a puddle several minutes later. Then I crawled in the back and slep for some time. Woke up feeling better and started doing some research. Drove to the hospital in Missoula this morning and spoke to someone who basically said there was nothing they could do except take money for imaging I didn’t need at this point. Skied one run today and then laid down immediately with very little bulging. Made it to Couer d’alene where I was able to find the only brace in Idaho or Montana. On to Canada for my free health care sample.
    Assuming I make it back to Tahoe with it getting incarcerated who’s a good surgeon there?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Somewhere on I15 I got dizzy and pulled the car frantically to the side so I could pass out. Not sure if I did. Then I slowly drove to the next exit. Got out to walk around the car to crawl in the back. I didn’t make it and woke up in a puddle several minutes later. Then I crawled in the back and slep for some time. Woke up feeling better and started doing some research.
    Hah, dude... I'm not a doctor but if that were me, I'd get that taken care of ASAP

For sure but without it being incarcerated or ischemic they would just schedule a surgery for days or weeks out and I’m on vacation so the plan is management til I get back.

Hurting so much you pass out--that's strange. I did have a young guy pass out on me when I did the turn your head and cough routine so I suppose it could happen spontaneously. If it does pop out and is painful, lie down and also try to push it back in. Deep breaths, relax, etc. If it won't go in get thee to a doctor ASAP. There is no imaging that should be necessary for a hernia; don't know what Missoula was thinking unless they thought it was something other than a hernia. I don't know the general surgeons in the Tahoe area. PM sent.

powdork, learning how to push things back in has been the treatment for thousands of years. Worked well for me until I was repaired surgically. I would just lay on my back and use my fingers to gently work things back in. First few times takes some learning, by the 50th it takes a few seconds. As olg goat said " If it won't go in get thee to a doctor ASAP" Google strangulated and incarcerated hernia to explain why. Den

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20351547

Note that the above advice applies to small hernias that pop out and hurt until you push them in. When hernias get bigger they're out all the time you're upright. No need to be constantly pushing them in unless they hurt. These will go back in on your own or push in easily. When they get bigger yet they go down into the scrotum and pretty much stay there although you can work them back into the abdomen if you try.
    You dont really want to let hernias get that big unless you're trying to impress someone with how big your ball sac is.

so my surgery is set for May 7 and I just got a call from the surgery nurse with some more pre-op instructions. Only one took me by surprise. no analgesics or nsaids for 5 days prior. as someone who has taken at least 600mg/day (ibuprofen, usually 1200mg and often 1800mg) since my knee injury in 2014 this terrifies me.
    They seem acutely interested in managing pain after the surgery but don't seem to give a fuck pre op. How important is this? Clearly emergency surgeries happen all the time when folks have taken ibuprofen and this is the first time in all my surgeries I have heard of this.

so my surgery is set for May 7 and I just got a call from the surgery nurse with some more pre-op instructions. Only one took me by surprise. no analgesics or nsaids for 5 days prior. as someone who has taken at least 600mg/day (ibuprofen, usually 1200mg and often 1800mg) since my knee injury in 2014 this terrifies me.
    They seem acutely interested in managing pain after the surgery but don't seem to give a fuck pre op. How important is this? Clearly emergency surgeries happen all the time when folks have taken ibuprofen and this is the first time in all my surgeries I have heard of this.
    I'm not a doctor so no idea if this is valid, but I was told not to take anything that could thin the blood for a few days prior to the surgery as well. The exclusion list included fish oil, among others.

this is the first time in all my surgeries I have heard of this.
    It's been part of the pre-op instructions for the three surgeries I've had since 2007. Seemed pretty obvious to me why they would be concerned about things that could cause or contribute to uncontrolled bleeding. You can still take acetaminophen for pain.

I wasn't aware I could she just lumped all the analgesics together in the instructions. Aspirin I figured. I didn't know ibuprofen thinned the blood like aspirin. i've avoided acetaminophen long term since my liver is already under constant attack, but it works (haven't had much luck with aleve). I can go there for a few days and then i assume it'll be in whatever narcotic they give me after

edit- and damn that sucks no fish oil. i think. how do i get fish oil again? anyway, sucks i can't have it.

I've never told patients to stop NSAIDs and aspirin before surgery. (Maybe they were getting generic instructions from surgery scheduling with that instruction and I didn't know about it.) If someone is on aspirin for their heart or stroke prevention they should definitely not stop it for surgery. The anesthesiologist who does my epidural spinal injections doesn't mind NSAIDs and aspirin. I would say that the advice you got is cautious. Keep the Tylenol at 3 gm/d or less; a few days should be fine for your liver. BTW, there is an extended release acetaminophen --lasts 8 hours instead of 4. I eat the stuff like candy. Sometimes marketed as "arthritis relief".

I assume that by under attack you mean you drink a lot. I would cut way back (max one drink or beer/day) or stop before surgery--now would be a good time. The body works better when the liver works better--for one thing, when you drink a lot your liver detoxification mechanism is revved up, which means sedatives and pain meds during and after surgery are metabolized faster; ie they don't work.
    For hernia surgery none of this is a big deal; for bigger operations it is.

As far as the fish oil this review of multiple studies found no increased risk of bleeding https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28552094 but the anesthetist doesn't want to smell your fishy breath.

I was supposed to have my easy surgery at 10 and be ready to go home at 1. Finally got wheeled in at 1 and was finished with the surgery at 4ish. Turned out she fixed 3 hernias and removed a lymphoma from the spermatic cord.
    Pain was super bad when I got out I think at least partially because the presurgery oxycontin had already worn off since they gave it to me at 10:30. Also because it ended up being a lot more work in the area. I wasn't able to pee after so I stayed for a while and then around 11 they sent me home with a catheter. Errrg

Lymphoma? Woah dude. The hernia sounds like it was a blessing in disguise. Heal fast!

The nurse made it sound like a fatty deposit but id didn't get to talk to the surgeon cause after me she ended up with another 6+ hour surgery.

Just spoke to the doc. It was fatty tissue that might have had a lymph node in it

You probably passed out from anxiety as a result of pain. Cannabis and caffeine make anxiety attacks much worse. How's your blood pressure? Good luck.