Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Like this one, heading home last week when it went from - 34 c to +8 c in 24 hrs. Driving a one ton and felt like a pop can in the wind.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Love that photo- awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Since I first drove through I've wondered about the name. I assume it predates the highway
    From wikipedia: variety of explanations account for the origin of the hamlet's name. One explanation associates it with a murder which took place in 1904 at a dairy farm situated on the flats of the Bow River. Francois Marret stood trial in Calgary for killing his brother Jean, whose body he had disposed of in the Bow River, but the jury acquitted him by reason of insanity.[3] Another account states that two or three First Nations people who were illegally trapping beaver noticed a warden approaching in the distance. Knowing that they did not have time to flee without being spotted, they smeared themselves with beaver blood and pretended to be dead. The warden, fooled by their deception, ran for help. Meanwhile, the trappers took their beaver pelts and escaped. This account is regarded as dubious; for example, no known description of this incident appears in the official wardens' reports. In 1954, the Calgary Herald wrote that it was "named only 10 to 12 years ago after a man was found shot in a cabin in the area."[4]

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned, but there's a 1hr time change between Golden and Revy.
    And, you don't need to buy a park pass if you're not stopping in the park/just driving through.
    Last edited by tintin5; 02-21-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Font was off

Good studded tires, set the cruise at 120 and let 'er rip!!

Anybody want to join tomorrow for a Fernie day from Calgary, 530 depart...should be a GOODer. Looks like 40+ and the good stuff didn't open today.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Anybody want to join tomorrow for a Fernie day from Calgary, 530 depart...should be a GOODer. Looks like 40+ and the good stuff didn't open today.
    Damn, just got in the door from the drive from Jackson. The wind from great falls to Lethbridge was probably the worst cross wind I've ever experienced. Hopefully it doesn't ravage fernie too bad! Still looks stormy that way.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Damn, just got in the door from the drive from Jackson. The wind from great falls to Lethbridge was probably the worst cross wind I've ever experienced. Hopefully it doesn't ravage fernie too bad! Still looks stormy that way.

Last Sunday's wind did an amazing job in refreshing Fernie but I believe that was coming from the North?

This seems was coming from the south west in the flats.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    The skiing in Fernie was acceptable today. Most of the mountain was opened, however upper Curry, Cedar, and Lizard closed in the afternoon as it was snowing pretty hard most of the day.

Tomorrow should be an above average day.

Thank you again for the road advice, y'all. We got through smoothly and quickly both ways Calgary/Golden, and had a great trip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6405.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	225781

Name:	IMG_6267.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	225782

Did the Surprise Pass tour out of Lake Louise last Friday. Conditions were surprisingly good!

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    Thank you again for the road advice, y'all. We got through smoothly and quickly both ways Calgary/Golden, and had a great trip.

Totally sweet. Looks like an awesome time had by all! Glad the driving was easy for ya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Tomorrow is my last day here at kicking horse. Any mags that think the bootpack out Terminator ridge is worth it?

I enjoyed it. We were there over Christmas a few years ago. Shit conditions but Terminator had the best snow of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I enjoyed it. We were there over Christmas a few years ago. Shit conditions but Terminator had the best snow of the trip.
    Heh. Was hoping for more up to date conditions. Missed today because kopi_red broke his motorhome.

Also posted in the Southern Interior thread, but I'm going to be adding a couple days to the front end of a self-guided trip to GAH Meadow Lodge later this week. Staying in Golden and skiing in the area this Thursday and Friday (1st and 2nd). Wondering if anyone feels like showing a yank what Kicking Horse or the local backcountry has to offer? Apres beers on me.

Home mountain is Bridger Bowl, MT so I'm used to skiing steep, narrow, rocky, chutes and challenging terrain. Also an avid backcountry skier with training and experience (40-50 days/winter). Have lift tickets for the 1st and 2nd but if anyone is either looking for a backcountry partner or willing to take an out of towner around the resort or elsewhere let me know! Here or by PM.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Tomorrow is my last day here at kicking horse. Any mags that think the bootpack out Terminator ridge is worth it?
    MrsDougw did T2 a couple days ago and it was good. Would like to show all you visitors around but my season ended 6 weeks ago.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Hey Banff area crew, what's my best option for cheaper lift tickets for Louise this weekend? I can get 20%off with my seasons pass but , as always, hoping for better. Coming down for the Junior Freeski Comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-Down View Post
    Definitely spend some time at KH.

It is amazing to me how people gravitate to Revy over KH. Is that a Revy marketing thing or just the allure of Revy and Rogers? Not that I think more people are needed at KH....it is fine the way it is
    In our case, straight up Mountain Collective money math. I'd like to spend more time at KH, but we're meeting up with friends in Banff (and Banff looks like a fun place to end the trip).

Have an invite from a friend to stay at RMR next year sometime (although it's from a snowboarder), so another Northern swing in the cards...

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    Hey Banff area crew, what's my best option for cheaper lift tickets for Louise this weekend? I can get 20%off with my seasons pass but , as always, hoping for better. Coming down for the Junior Freeski Comp.
    That's about as good as it gets unless you have mountain collective or a friend working there.

I will scour Kijiji for tickets and keep an ear to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    Name:  g3-skins.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  13.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    #noobalert - First time skiing in Canada next week, on the MTN collective checkbox mission. In the next hour I'm going to reverse our itinerary based on some of the advice elsewhere in the forum/thread to hit Revelstoke first and then make our way back east to Calgary so that we don't get stranded by weather. It actually looks like it might even start warming up to the point where we have to watch for rain? I reserved a 4-door wrangler, which was $200 cheaper than a standard SUV for some reason. Actually, I'll probably find out the reason...

Anyway please shoot holes in this plan if I'm being a flatlanderjong. And we'll pay all the park fees. :-)

2/28 Calgary, getting in at 7pm -> Drive to Golden
    3/1 Finish the drive to Revelstoke in the AM, or stay and hit KH, finish the drive that night.
    3/2 Revelstoke
    3/3 Revelstoke or leave early for KH then drive to Banff
    3/4 LL or SSV
    3/5 LL or SSV
    3/6 Banff->Calgary
    If there has been recent snow or it is snowing in Golden KH is a must for two days or more. Or, with no snow and blue skies it's worth as least checking it out for a day. The terrain is so good. Revy is fun. LL is fun. SSV is not bad (great family resort).

If the snow isn't mega deep* or my kids aren't being dicks (couldn't get out skiing) I would be happy to show you around. PM me.

*no friends on a powder day... unless you can keep up.
    I like huge dumps.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Would like to show all you visitors around but my season ended 6 weeks ago.
    Oh no. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Oh no. What happened?
    see https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...emoral-Condyle

I FRACTURED THE MEDIAL FEMORAL CONDYLE
    Doesn't seem like a very common thing. Was skiing and walking around on it for 3 weeks before the MRI showed what the real problem was. Now that I've been on crutches for a week way less pain. Gone from almost ODing of anti inflams and Tylenol and icing to nothing at all.

Its just a hairline fracture so the x ray didn't see it. So anyone with experience??
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post

Cool man! I'm in the Abbey right now. I was asking one of the people you were with if there was any TGR mags in your group and got a blank stare

Conditions for us haven't allowed for big alpine days, lots of pow though.