Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    damn LL and SSV are skiing well

Even today, a "busy" weekend, backside was not crowded. and yesterday at SSV counted 7 people in the dive "with me"

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    damn LL and SSV are skiing well

Even today, a "busy" weekend, backside was not crowded. and yesterday at SSV counted 7 people in the dive "with me"
    Yeah, the dive yesterday was quiet! Didn't see more than the 6 people on the same rotation as us. 3 laps all great.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That’s very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Owe this thread some stoke from my trip earlier this month! Thanks to all for the travel advice. It was overcast for our first three days so I didn’t grab as many images as I thought I would, but the trip went off without a hitch… even when Air Canada lost our skis back in Chicago, I was able to take the CTA home instead of paying for an Uber XL, and have my skis delivered to my door the next day. #winning

Revelstoke Day 1 & 2. Gloomy but snow at the summit both days. I called it “Big Eye Flatlander Disease,” symptoms of which are “immediately jumping into the uphill line for the North Bowl on our first run and going into cardio debt by 10AM.” Afterwards, we banished ourselves to various glades for most of the first day. Around 2PM we descended Kill the Banker into the Gnarnia. Quickly learned about new snow + big mountain + low altitude = deep cement by the time we reached base. My legs were obliterated. I thought “let’s just do a top to bottom groomer to finish off the day.” HAH – longest groomer run of my life. I wanted to black out. We approached Day 2 with better game plan (ie: stay high) and enjoyed a bunch of laps through the North and South Bowls. Town is v.cool. Our rental jeep was surround on all sides by trucks with sleds when we woke up each day. Gorged on mac’n’cheese from Bierhaus, Village Idiot pizza and “dessert” at Monashee distillery around the corner. Actually, Revelstoke sucks. Don’t go there.

We got a late jump to Kicking Horse on Saturday, Day 3 with the time change and a good blizzard over Rogers Pass… rolled in to Golden around 10AM and it was blowing way more snow than we expected. DougW did his best to extend hospitality (thanks man!) but we were a clusterfuck trying to get on the hill and didn’t connect. Apologies. I couldn’t find my balaclava and used a polar buff, which started fogging up my goggles. With driving snow, fogged lenses and no idea where I was going, I frickin’ biffed harrrd on the stupid access trail under Stairway to Heaven and was appropriately applauded. Fuez Bowl and the lines off CPR were about all I could manage. Didn’t make it over to T1 & T2 as instructed… I owe myself another shot at Kicking Horse. I apologize to the locals for shaming myself on their hill. I did enjoy gondy rides with some Chilean ski patrol trainees and French-speaking tweens who had some interesting thoughts about Trump, in-between beating the shit out of each other with a bag of Twizzlers. Blown away by the number of racin’ kids on the hill. The owned the lodge like a boss.

Lake Louise and Sunshine on a Sunday & Monday were going to be afterthoughts on the trip (we were originally going to start with them) but when the sun came out and we got leftovers at LL, it turned into the highlight. The views… holy Ullr the VIEWS. We bombed around the whole hill and wished the day was longer. Hiked for fresh off Summit Platter, which was the only real line we waited in all week. I was giddy in the Ptarmigan Chutes. It took half a day to figure out the layout of SSV. We didn’t bring avy gear and decided not to rent, so stayed off DD and WW, but there was plenty of pucker on Goatseye… loved being able to pick our way down the Goat face (Wildside & Farside I think) and then bomb the lower groomer to the fast lift. Great laps. We met up with some Flatlander Friends and Mount Standish was an ideal hill for splitting up with various abilities and meeting partway down or at the bottom. Excellent locals (and Aussie!) vibe at both hills. Actually… both hills suck. Don’t go there.

We didn’t drink our weight at Banff Brewing Co., have the $25 dollar burger and house made gin at Park Distillery and drink michiladas at Magpie and Stump for some reason. We definitely didn’t do that because Banff sucks and you shouldn’t go there either.

We’re definitely not going back. Definitely.

Name:  CAN rev.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  88.9 KB
    Monashee Distillery, Revelstoke

Name:  CANDrop1.JPG
Views: 544
Size:  92.7 KB
    I think this is the lower drop in for the North Bowl at Revy

Name:  CANdrop.JPG
Views: 535
Size:  66.0 KB
    Back Bowl, Lake Louise

Name:  CANLL.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  70.9 KB
    Flatlander spotting, LL

Name:  canbannf.JPG
Views: 517
Size:  131.4 KB
    Banff sucks

^ This is awesome. Stoked you had such a good trip to our neck of the woods.

Great write up. You are welcome back any time!
    Using Tapatalk

Forgot to include my PureCanada(R) moment: Sitting in the Revelstoke lodge, I hear someone say my name in the scrum by the food line. My travel buddy plays a lot of dirty jokes on me, so I wasn’t moving... instead I was distrustfully squinting and trying to figure out the angle... actually I had just dropped my credit card and another skier was wandering around with it, repeating my name.

Wouldn’t even accept a free beer or a cookie. Canada ftw. Karma handoff!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My Red Mtn/Whitewater trip has turned to a Big Mtn/Fernie trip. Grew up on Big Mtn so I have that covered. But, have never been up to Fernie.

Tips for a good two days of exploring next week? Weather looks to be a sunny spring day. What areas our runs do we absolutely have to hit? Food or bars? (Staying at Lizard Creek)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    My Red Mtn/Whitewater trip has turned to a Big Mtn/Fernie trip. Grew up on Big Mtn so I have that covered. But, have never been up to Fernie.

Tips for a good two days of exploring next week? Weather looks to be a sunny spring day. What areas our runs do we absolutely have to hit? Food or bars? (Staying at Lizard Creek)

Thanks
    fernie is usually not to hard to ski in the spring. Follow the warming of the sun?

Eats:

indian place in stanford is great

happy cow for icecream

waxman owns the guides hut and is grumpy, but likes chocolate and not coffee/booze (might be why)

fernie brewing company is a bit out of town, but good beers on tap.

Food or bars? (Staying at Lizard Creek)

Thanks
    Nevados is my favourite restaurant (although Teamdirt hasn't had good service there)
    Otherwise Currie Bowl and Sushi Yamagoya for top choices

Thanks
    For food on the hill I’d recommend Rusty Edge in the Griz Inn (next door to Lizard Creek). Big Bang Bagel is great option for breakfast and lunch (again located in the Griz Inn) they have really good sandwich bagels and coffee. The prices are good there too.

For in town, Yamagoa Sushi and the Curry Bowl is where I go whenever I eat out. The Northern has good pub food and usually has stuff going on in the evening.

As for runs on the hill, make sure to check out Bear Chutes, Mitchy Chutes, Cedar Ridge, Cougar Glades, and Window Chutes.

For more beta on where to ski checkout http://www.billhandley.com

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Nevados is my favourite restaurant (although Teamdirt hasn't had good service there)
    Otherwise Currie Bowl and Sushi Yamagoya for top choices
    Currie Bowl is great, haven't tried Yamagoya but heard it's excellent. And there's a butcher shop called Backcountry Meats & Sausage that has killer smoked pork ribs on Fridays.

Awesome tips gang, thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10cm in 3 hours at SSV and the storm is just starting. Tomorrow should be above average

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    10cm in 3 hours at SSV and the storm is just starting. Tomorrow should be above average
    Total fucking gong show on the hiway right now in canmore. 3 inches of slush on ice. Vehicles stuck everywhere even in town on hills. A 4wd winter tire kind of day. Stoked for tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Total fucking gong show on the hiway right now in canmore. 3 inches of slush on ice. Vehicles stuck everywhere even in town on hills. A 4wd winter tire kind of day. Stoked for tomorrow

Typical. Big storm rolling and it is the only weekend in 8 that I have to stay in Cowtown. Busy all three nights. Can’t even bolt to Banff as I left my gear at the cabin.

Have fun. Commute home from work today is gonna be a greasy disaster. Panorama has had 7 cm so far and another 5 due tonight. . Saturday might be the best day there this year, at least for the weekends I get to ski.

Have fun this weekend folks!
    Using Tapatalk

Wake. Bake. Go to the Lake.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Snaining pretty good in Jasper... I love SNAIN! 3 degrees in town and 5 degrees colder at Marmot. Tomorrow will be good. Dense, slarveable, mogul filling snow. Bring it! So stoked...

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Forgot to include my PureCanada(R) moment: Sitting in the Revelstoke lodge, I hear someone say my name in the scrum by the food line. My travel buddy plays a lot of dirty jokes on me, so I wasn’t moving... instead I was distrustfully squinting and trying to figure out the angle... actually I had just dropped my credit card and another skier was wandering around with it, repeating my name.

Wouldn’t even accept a free beer or a cookie. Canada ftw. Karma handoff!

We aren't all nice... Your helmet looks huge and your Jackets too tight...
    Hahaha! JK! We love that you love it here. Come further north next time to Marmot Basin!

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    We aren't all nice... Your helmet looks huge and your Jackets too tight...
    It’s the poutine.

Here's my 2 cents on Canada thus far...
    (and I'm sorry in advance for hijacking this thread)

It was pouring rain in AK and some crazy man was lobbing missiles over Japan, so I opted out for a friendlier, and snowier, country. Canada Eh!

I drove down the Cassiar, only crashing once mind you, to this place in the woods
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0119181210.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	844.2 KB 
ID:	228445

which had a warming hut with awesome views!

Name:	0119181444a.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	628.6 KB 
ID:	228446

but had about a foot of light dry snow on a terrible breakable crust.
    So I went to This place...

Name:	IMG_3206.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	910.9 KB 
ID:	228447

which was DUMPING!

Name:	0128181153.jpg 
Size:	822.9 KB 
ID:	228448

But was a little crowded for my taste so I drove over here

Name:	0213181033b.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	461.8 KB 
ID:	228449

and this place was Awesome! $25 for a lift to shit like this!?!

Name:	0212181550.jpg 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	228450
    Unreal!

But I had more of the Canadian Rockies to see.
    And ferries to cross to do it?

Name:	0213182249.jpg 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	228452

I guess it was worth it

Name:	0214181337.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	407.2 KB 
ID:	228453

but I had another cabin to hike to

Name:	0215181552.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	589.6 KB 
ID:	228454

In a surrounding like this!

Name:	0215181506b.jpg 
Size:	559.7 KB 
ID:	228455

To be greeted by this?!?

Name:	0216181543.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	823.4 KB 
ID:	228456
    WTF!!! I'm thinking at this point that you Canadians are an odd lot (I like it!)

But there are Sick lines here! Filled with powder! and not moving!

Name:	0227181606c.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	727.0 KB 
ID:	228458

Name:	0228181329.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	945.9 KB 
ID:	228459

It's like this place makes me feel Really Small

Name:	0302181626.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	903.9 KB 
ID:	228460

and I love that you Canadians have little green rockets in the mountains ready to get the hell out when the shit hits the fan

Name:	0306181502c.jpg 
Size:	636.1 KB 
ID:	228461
    I still don't know what that thing is, but I had to see what was going on in the background though.

So climbing I went

Name:	0312181419c.jpg 
Size:	782.6 KB 
ID:	228462

up into the sun

Name:	0312181550a.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	739.5 KB 
ID:	228463

to ride This thing!

Name:	0312181839.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	977.3 KB 
ID:	228464

and Now, this moment, I'm in Banff and heading to Sunshine Village tomorrow to ride more Fresh Pow!

Thank you Canada, I love you! Anyone want to go ride? (I'll probably be in your area some time soon)
    Last edited by akdusty; 03-16-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    Under this roof lives the love of mountains

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Typical. Big storm rolling and it is the only weekend in 8 that I have to stay in Cowtown. Busy all three nights. Can’t even bolt to Banff as I left my gear at the cabin.

Have fun. Commute home from work today is gonna be a greasy disaster. Panorama has had 7 cm so far and another 5 due tonight. . Saturday might be the best day there this year, at least for the weekends I get to ski.

Have fun this weekend folks!
    Don't worry, your not missing much. The 7 yesterday was a stretch imo, temps were above zero or close to. Was nothing but a sprinkle in the village all day. Stick a fork in it, it's done. Gotta get up really high from now on around here Glacier style to get the
    goods.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Don't worry, your not missing much. The 7 yesterday was a stretch imo, temps were above zero or close to. Was nothing but a sprinkle in the village all day. Stick a fork in it, it's done. Gotta get up really high from now on around here Glacier style to get the
    goods.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    can you post when biking starts in radium/invermere?

Great day up at the lake. 30cm of 5% density on top of an ice crust on all aspects. Fuck it got warm here a couple days ago. Great in the untracked but man of you hit something already skied it was hard and icy. Longest lines I've seen all year at summit.

Marmot was awesome this am! 18 cm and just a little wind. Face shots all morning... You could feel some sun affect on a few predictable places.