Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    3 days out from hitting Fernie, thanks for the tips above.

Next question - what ski shop(s) to hit for deals and/or good clothing and equipment? I would like to take advantage of the sales and exchange rate if possible.

Everything should be on sale in Fernie... Add Castle to your trip if you have time and snow is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    3 days out from hitting Fernie, thanks for the tips above.

Next question - what ski shop(s) to hit for deals and/or good clothing and equipment? I would like to take advantage of the sales and exchange rate if possible.
    Go hit up wax man at the guide's hut also there's some good deals on used stuff and some clothing at gear hub

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    can you post when biking starts in radium/invermere?
    Going to be a couple weeks yet, still enough snow for fat biking.... Sunday on the Johnson

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Going to be a couple weeks yet, still enough snow for fat biking.... Sunday on the Johnson
    ok, thanks, I guess I'll just keep skiing

Gotta get off the resort if you want to find snow these days...

Gotta get off the resort if you want to find snow these days...

Where is that? Beautiful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

lake was skiing great today on N facing backside slopes. Still fresh from Thus storm, still winter, so filled in

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Where is that? Beautiful!

West of Radium.

Sunshine is still skiing well. Delirium Dive this afternoon (credit to Kyle Mulder for filming):

Great day in Fernie! Face shots aplenty!

Another great backcountry day today,

Did a lap in Tayton at Panorama yesterday before my back went out...first time in 5years for that, dammit!

Hasn’t had and sun effect on it yet or any freeze/thaw and with everyone heading over to the Monster area with the cat-pull from Never Never Land, a lot of stuff in between the summit hut and NNL is being ignored. Yesterday was boot deep and fresh lines from the ridge to the landing strip. Six days after the last decent 20cm dump. It has been this way all season. Two weeks ago was the same. Fresh lines six and seven days after a snowfall. I love the lack of traffic here...

Looks like the weather this week is going to get a max high of -5*C and more snow to come. Easter weekend could be pretty sweet.

Then I looked at my friends Fernie page and they got 25 cm to our 5....oh well......

Using Tapatalk

Did a lap in Tayton at Panorama yesterday before my back went out...first time in 5years for that, dammit!

Hasn’t had and sun effect on it yet or any freeze/thaw and with everyone heading over to the Monster area with the cat-pull from Never Never Land, a lot of stuff in between the summit hut and NNL is being ignored. Yesterday was boot deep and fresh lines from the ridge to the landing strip. Six days after the last decent 20cm dump. It has been this way all season. Two weeks ago was the same. Fresh lines six and seven days after a snowfall. I love the lack of traffic here...

Looks like the weather this week is going to get a max high of -5*C and more snow to come. Easter weekend could be pretty sweet.

Then I looked at my friends Fernie page and they got 25 cm to our 5....oh well......

Taynton terrain is great, the ski out not so much.

There Was about 30cms across the road today in Paradise. I left my house at 1pm, ripped 4 fresh laps and back home before 6. Braaap!

Grandaddy rode fantastic Friday! Except I couldn't see half the run due to all the face shots.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Then the masses got to it Saturday.

Three Four rode quite well Sunday also. The approach sucks though!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    So I doubt "the masses" will get to this one.

Now why won't my photos show up right side up??? Someone help, please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0323181633.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	678.2 KB 
ID:	229824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0325181248a.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	919.3 KB 
ID:	229829  
    Last edited by akdusty; 04-04-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    Under this roof lives the love of mountains

Taynton terrain is great, the ski out not so much.

There Was about 30cms across the road today in Paradise. I left my house at 1pm, ripped 4 fresh laps and back home before 6. Braaap!

Agree on the ski out, but it doesn’t bother me too much. The ski out was one reason Steve said they need to put a lift in there. I am not keen on a lift as the work you have to do to ski it keeps the riff raff out. But the question isn’t if someone is gonna die in the ski out but when. That being said, this year it has been in way better shape than previous years.

I may have seen you doing your laps from the rehabilitation of my hot tub, looking across to Paradise ridge with a beer in hand.
    Using Tapatalk

Great skiing at Fernie last week - thank you for the tips. We skied Tues/Weds (3/20&21). Found some good north facing pitches and shaded snow in the trees on Tuesday. Mostly skiing off White Pass for the trees and some small chute 100-150m behind the Patrol Cabin on White Pass (dropping north). Some amazing runs that reminded me a lot of Snowbowl down in Missoula. But, with more terrain and better lifts

Great food at Nevados and Big Bang Bagels. Had to try out the Vodka Ice Bar. In all, a great 2 day trip and we will be back for more and a longer stay. It would be a fun place to ski in mid-winter.

Agree on the ski out, but it doesn’t bother me too much. The ski out was one reason Steve said they need to put a lift in there. I am not keen on a lift as the work you have to do to ski it keeps the riff raff out. But the question isn’t if someone is gonna die in the ski out but when. That being said, this year it has been in way better shape than previous years.

I may have seen you doing your laps from the rehabilitation of my hot tub, looking across to Paradise ridge with a beer in hand.
    I agree a lift will kill the good side of Taynton, The cat tow has started it already.

almost 10cm fresh at SSV from 8am to 2.

One of the best days of the year at Fernie-10cm overnight 20-30 during the day. Nobody around-all terrain open. Winds refreshing lines every lap!

I agree a lift will kill the good side of Taynton, The cat tow has started it already.

Yep. I don't understand the proposed Taynton lift either (unless there's an honest safety concern about the ski out).
    Taynton is one area of the hill that reliably has good snow. Especially for a "low snow" hill like Pano - they should be trying to preserve what they have. Add a lift into sun bowl, or founders.

Quote Originally Posted by tintin5 View Post
    Yep. I don't understand the proposed Taynton lift either (unless there's an honest safety concern about the ski out).
    Taynton is one area of the hill that reliably has good snow. Especially for a "low snow" hill like Pano - they should be trying to preserve what they have. Add a lift into sun bowl, or founders.
    The discovery chair should have gone to the top of founders imo.

There is a ton of unused terrain on the lower mountain, it just needs glading.

But there is no big splash marketing in cutting down trees.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    One of the best days of the year at Fernie-10cm overnight 20-30 during the day. Nobody around-all terrain open. Winds refreshing lines every lap!
    Agreed! We were a few bowls over at Island Lake and it was a fantastic couple of days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W18-0326-SteveKZ-MG-3878.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	230117

Quote Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
    Agreed! We were a few bowls over at Island Lake and it was a fantastic couple of days.

Epic 4 day cycle- looks like another one approaching!

The discovery chair should have gone to the top of founders imo.

There is a ton of unused terrain on the lower mountain, it just needs glading.

But there is no big splash marketing in cutting down trees.

They have had crews glading for each of the last 5 summers. Last years focus was Taynton area. If you have noticed, they cleared out both sides of Stumbocks and down at the bottom of Sidewinder to skiers right. I am guessing the process continued this summer.

The Discovery Chair was put in specifically to open up beginner terrain and take pressure off the Mile 1 quad on the big weekends, something it has done in spades.

The point I made to Steve and an owner friend of mine was if you want to keep folks off the ski out, put a fixed grip two seat chair from the ski out to the Summit Hut. Putting the lift over to Monster will kill the attractiveness of that area by allowing it to be skied out in no time. The argument back is that the chair to the Monster ridge opens up even more terrain on the other side of that ridge.

The key issue right now is getting the money for a new lift.

Note that they have also invested heavily in new grooming equipment and are now grooming runs that might have been touched once or twice a season, like Stumbocks, Zehnder, Macintosh Way, etc. they have added a bazillion winch cat anchors and have even groomed Top of the World and Roy’s Run a few times. I don’t think those have ever been done before. And upper Schobers gets done almost daily this year.

The advantage of not putting the discovery chair all the way up Founders is that when it does snow, you can have great powder runs all the way down to the top of that lift via Macintosh, Zehnder, de la Salle, etc, well into the afternoon as no one knows those runs at all and they are ignored.
    Using Tapatalk