Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    a Golden PSA as only seen this on Facebook
    “Staying Alive” Conference with KHMR Safety

A FREE Avalanche Safety Conference hosted by Kicking Horse Mountain Resort

On Wednesday, December 6 from 6:30pm, join the Kicking Horse Safety Team, Golden and District Search and Rescue and an Avalanche Canada Forecaster for an evening of avalanche safety information and gear talk. Great for pre-season refresher on avalanche safety and good update on KHMR. Prizes! All ages welcome. Get your season off to a good and safe start!

FREE PIZZA – First come first serve!
    Draft local beer available by Whitetooth Brewing!

WIN PRIZES! Helly Hansen is giving away 2 ski jackets, KHMR is giving away 1 AST 1 course, High Country Ski Guides is giving away 1 AST 1 course, and many more swag & prizes from our local sponsors.

GADSAR will be selling raffle tickets for the chance to win a trip to Chatter Creek!

Check out the gear & goods from Avalanche Safety Solutions, Darkside Snow Skate Life and Higher Ground Sports.

Join us at the Golden Civic Centre – DOORS 6:30PM, event starts at 7:00 PM.

HOURLY SCHEDULE

7:00pm - 7:20pm
    Ryan Harvey
    KHMR Mountain Safety - Mountain Safety operations, boundaries, closures & avalanche risk management

7:20pm - 7:40pm
    Kyle Hale
    Golden Search & Rescue - Trip Planning

7:40pm - 8:00pm
    Adam Sherriff
    Canadian Avalanche Dogs Association - Avalanche Dogs

8:00pm - 8:15pm
    Pause
    Visit our Sponsors Booths & grab a Whitetooth Brewing draft beer!

8:15pm - 8:30pm
    Julie McBride
    Avalanche Canada - Website & Application usage to trip planning

8:30pm - 8:45pm
    Ian Kirschner
    High Country Ski Guides - Highway Avalanche Control

8:45pm - 9:00pm
    Warrent Miller Movie
    Presentation of Kicking Horse Patrol segment in Warren Miller's movie

9:00pm - 9:10pm
    Winners Announced
    Winners of Helly Hansen jackets & AST1 courses announced

9:10pm - 10:00pm
    Networking with presenters
    Grab a beer & have ask your questions to our presenters... if you still have some!

MORE INFO
    https://kickinghorseresort.com/blog/...e-khmr-safety/
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Another Golden PSA

GADSAR, Gentlemen of Golden and Chatter Creek are proud to bring you Dendrite Studio's highly anticipated film: NUMINOUS.

NUMINOUS stars Kye Peterson and friends (including Matty Richard, Logan Pehota, Pep Fujas, Ryland Bell, Tatum Monod, Chris Rubens, Callum Pettit, Dane Tudor, and Wiley Miller) and is filmed in part at Chatter Creek!

NUMINOUS was an official selection at the Banff Mountain Film Festival and a winner of Standout Big Mountain Film, Best Cinematography and Best Male Freeride Segment at the IF3 Festival (among other recognitions!).

Run Time: 59 minutes

Tickets: $10 Adults / $5 Kids

Shows are at 6p.m. & 8p.m. GADSAR will be seiling $20 raffle tickets for a a Cat-Skiing Trip for Two and making the draw for the winner prior to the 8p.m. show.

Lots of Door Prizes from the incredible shops around town and a great chance to support GADSAR - one of Golden's great volunteer organizations.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Thanks again everybody for the advice. Lake Louise was lots of fun Friday. Ankle deep pow with just a track or two in places all afternoon off of Paradise. Unfortunately Summit wasn’t accessible with the World Cup practice happening. Even so the terrain off the backside that was accessible was more fun than my first day of the season usually is in Tahoe. I mostly lapped the bowl and trees below Paradise. Great coverage and some fun boulders to launch off of. The top of Ptarmigan trees were also a lot of fun; the bottom must have been below the snow line the night before and was not. Halfway down I was wondering why there was a sign saying “marginal conditions, skiing not recommended.” After that I understood.

The hill was pretty empty other than the race set who stayed near the course.

Conditions were decent at Sunshine yesterday; a mix of wind loaded snow, packed powder and crust. The only interesting open terrain I could find though was the short cliffs looker’s right of the Standish lift. Which was fine given my soreness from second day skiing as a no-longer young dude with bad technique. The sidecountry looks incredible; looking forward to making it back some time deeper into the season.

It looks like there’s basically infinite big terrain right next to the highway all through the parks? Pretty nice.

Does anybody actually live full time in banff? Or do locals all live in Canmore? It seemed like almost everyone who wasn’t obviously a tourist was Aussie. I didn’t get a chance to check out Canmore but if it has more of a local vibe I’d be interested in staying there rather than Banff, even though it’s less convenient to skiing. Banff is pleasant and everybody is super nice, but it feels a little bit like Disneyland.

Oh, and I really enjoyed Chuck’s and the Balkan. Next time I’m back in winter I’ll probably be dirt bagging it with instant ramen and such, so it was cool to check out some luxe eats.

Hope you guys have a great winter with lots of snow and a stable pack!

glad you enjoyed

a few of us live in banff, but we hide from all the Aussies. its a 8000 fulltime residents in town

a few people live in canmore, but they hide from the weekend home owners from Calgary / Edmonton and the UK.

yes, amazing terrain all around, but due to lots of terrain, limited people and a "variable" snow pack, its not often skied. (compared to SLC and the canyons)

Picked up our Pano passes on Saturday, and skied a few runs . Conditions were firm - even for Pano.

But, it's not all bad news. Their coverage is much better than it was this time last year. And, the bike trails in Radium are still dry.

Quote Originally Posted by tintin5 View Post
    the bike trails in Radium are still dry.
    what did you ride? thinking of a road trip later this week

Wow went to SSV on Saturday and was surprised at how much I did not like it. Could not get over how many flat/uphill sections there are and how dinky the lift layout is I really really wanted to like it. Seems like for C$119 they'd make it so you did not have to walk uphill so much to get to the bottoms of lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    Wow went to SSV on Saturday and was surprised at how much I did not like it. Could not get over how many flat/uphill sections there are and how dinky the lift layout is I really really wanted to like it. Seems like for C$119 they'd make it so you did not have to walk uphill so much to get to the bottoms of lifts.
    I'm not a huge fan unless the Dive and Goat's Eye is open. There are some hidden gems that can make it worthwhile, but I prefer the terrain at Louise most days.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy30 View Post
    I'm not a huge fan unless the Dive and Goat's Eye is open. There are some hidden gems that can make it worthwhile, but I prefer the terrain at Louise most days.
    I was with my riproaring 6 year old, so that could have clouded my judgment of Sunshine. Beautiful location though and everyone seemed super friendly.

Picked up our Pano passes on Saturday, and skied a few runs . Conditions were firm - even for Pano.

But, it's not all bad news. Their coverage is much better than it was this time last year. And, the bike trails in Radium are still dry.
    I did the early open day on Mile 1. Basically hard as nails. Took me back to eastern roots. Have yet been hit with the thaw we have here in Cowtown? Going to be there for the “official” open on Dec 9. Hopefully some good lines off the top. Chatting with Steve P a few weeks ago, lots more glading done this past summer and Monster area should be good, if a bit of a hike. I didn’t even get to Jekyll and Hyde last year as when I went back, C-Spine, White Tail and Never Never Land looked so inviting.

They added 100 winch cat anchors or some such. Thinking that gets a few runs which are typically sketchy at best maybe a little more predictable for conditioning.

Gotta hike more this year.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy30 View Post
    My wife considers the name an oxymoron. Through much of the winter above tree line is white out, Braille skiing.

There are some good hidden spots, and you can roll some nice cruising runs through some tree spots here and there, but like you, I am not a huge fan of Sunshine.

The good part about SSV is if anyone is going to have fresh snow overnight, it will. I like staying at the lodge on the hill, let’s you get out a half hour to hour and a half before the crowds. You can get a good 5 or six runs through the untracked fresh before anyone else shows up. That is magical.

Not a fan of weekend crowds at the Lake or SSV. Given me the reduced lift lines at my home hill any day.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what did you ride? thinking of a road trip later this week

We rode Pacemaker and Deja View. I suspect that the Juniper Heights trails / High Roller would also be pretty good. Kloosifier and Johnson trails on the way to the ski hill looked like they had some snow and mud on them.

Dufferdan: Yes, Pano also had rain and warmer temperatures. The top was still closed.

We rode Pacemaker and Deja View. I suspect that the Juniper Heights trails / High Roller would also be pretty good. Kloosifier and Johnson trails on the way to the ski hill looked like they had some snow and mud on them.
    pacemaker? I know the rest of the trails.

Pacemaker is a short section of singletrack through the restoration land at the top of the Redstreak campground hill. The trail runs along the ridge above town, parallel to the highway. Some nice views of Radium and the valley. We usually ride it as a short out and back.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/pacemaker-81105/

Pacemaker is a short section of singletrack through the restoration land at the top of the Redstreak campground hill. The trail runs along the ridge above town, parallel to the highway. Some nice views of Radium and the valley. We usually ride it as a short out and back.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/pacemaker-81105/
    Thanks. I’ll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Thanks. I’ll check it out
    Valley riding is superb right now. Kloosifier, Juniper area, Fairmont all good.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

thank goodness its snowing in banff again and I might not have to go mnt biking

skiing in banff is good above 7000ft now, below is kinda scratchy (grizly bowl = crap, backside = good) SSV village up is good, below = not good)

found at the banff dump / http://banff.ca/reuse today.

2 pairs WC/team GS skis, 2 pairs SG skis (rossi/Volkl) edges thin,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24197426_10155758953360729_1467762602_o.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	498.0 KB 
ID:	217472

Can anyone tell me what LL is like when the world cup is there this weekend--specifically friday/saturday? I dig the racing, but am more interesting in making turns and not dealing with a shit show. How much of the frontside is shutdown? Does SSV make more sense? Or does this mean LL will be deserted, especially the backside, with everyone watching the race?

Skiing is usually great during the races. Not a lot of extra people there. Usually you can still ski the summit by waiting to cross when told. I'll be there Friday, sat for sure. Maybe tomorrow. Front side orange skiing that well hey but the back is great.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by himavan View Post
    Can anyone tell me what LL is like when the world cup is there this weekend--specifically friday/saturday? I dig the racing, but am more interesting in making turns and not dealing with a shit show. How much of the frontside is shutdown? Does SSV make more sense? Or does this mean LL will be deserted, especially the backside, with everyone watching the race?
    its canada, No one cares about the racing. Usually more service staff/coachs at the finish line then public (great if you want to see racing up close)

backside is all avail to ski, maybe a small delay getting to summit.

kids ski free on the weekend I think? look at the LL website

Cool, thanks. Sounds like it's the place to go then. Plus, i've never seen a downhill race in person...maybe I'll get a lucky gondola ride with lindsay.

I have taken in a couple of the WC downhills over the years. Watch a few racers and then go back to skiing.

The noise they make as they whiz by is a remarkable and surprisingly loud roar. The men especially.

Best place to view the men is below the start in the flats before they drop into the trees. You get them from the start to the trees. So 10-15 seconds total. Not sure I recall any other good viewing points. Get off Top of the World and go left. I have only watched the men, I think the women start lower down, so not sure how long they are visible out of the gate.

Have fun. Enjoy our back yard.
    Using Tapatalk

Used to love Race weekend skiing at the Lake when I had passes. No body skis and a lot of people assume it will be busy and blow it off.

skied the lake today, was VERY nice for November

you can get around/above the race, from TOTW, and then do poma/backside laps as needed. Crow/east bowl skied great, and down the middle of WH1 was lovely still.

enjoy the weekend