Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I’ll be staying in Banff from Wednesday night to Sunday with my girlfriend and her parents. I’ve never been before and haven’t had time to research obsessively like I usually do. I’ll probably check out a day each at Lake Louise and Sunshine to get the lay of the land, but I was hoping someone could recommend to me a touring option or two. It’ll be my first turns since September, so mainly I want to go out to start building up strength again. Meadowskipping is fine or even preferred. I’ll have a car but don’t think I can go very far with family obligations.

And I’d welcome company inbounds or out if anyone is looking for a partner.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    Marmot's number is 24 in 24. So 14 overnight with the 10 during the day. Should be fun.
    Yes...Yes it was.

Slabby top 3rd. Creamy deliciousness in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    I’ll be staying in Banff from Wednesday night to Sunday with my girlfriend and her parents. I’ve never been before and haven’t had time to research obsessively like I usually do. I’ll probably check out a day each at Lake Louise and Sunshine to get the lay of the land, but I was hoping someone could recommend to me a touring option or two. It’ll be my first turns since September, so mainly I want to go out to start building up strength again. Meadowskipping is fine or even preferred. I’ll have a car but don’t think I can go very far with family obligations.

And I’d welcome company inbounds or out if anyone is looking for a partner.
    please choose your touring terrain VERY carefully right now. We just had a bigger snow cycle, some high winds, and we are geting a warming trend for a few days. Oct 31 rain crust, and its still a shallow snow pack.

For on hill, both SSV and LL are skiing well for early season. Odds are you WILL hit rocks, (but you can hit them anytime of the season)

For LL: check out crow/east bowl, Ptarmagin trees, Ski summit front side , do the short walk to brownshirt/boomerange

For SSV: standish is the main fun terrain that is open, lots of things to play on, no big terrain yet (waiting on divide, goats eye lifts to open)

for touring ideas: http://www.confessionsofaskibum.com/#guidebooks

I'm going to hit the lake up tomorrow. Mtnlion you there? Anybody else?

Mtnlion, this is really helpful. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Mtnlion, this is really helpful. Thank you!
    yup

meals:
    balken, chucks steak house, maple leaf, italian place at the banff park lodge and others are doing great locals specials right now. Well worth looking them up and seeing whats avail.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    yup

meals:
    balken, chucks steak house, maple leaf, italian place at the banff park lodge and others are doing great locals specials right now. Well worth looking them up and seeing whats avail.
    I'm quite partial to The Bison but yes, Chuck's has the best decor/atmosphere in town and the food is excellent, and always great to support our friends at The Balkan (voted best restaurant last year?!?).

mntlion, I would like to know however where you go for coffee and treats because I just can't stand Wild Flour anymore, refuse to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I'm quite partial to The Bison but yes, Chuck's has the best decor/atmosphere in town and the food is excellent, and always great to support our friends at The Balkan (voted best restaurant last year?!?).

mntlion, I would like to know however where you go for coffee and treats because I just can't stand Wild Flour anymore, refuse to go there.
    I was going to suggest wild flour but you should try white bark

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Another vote for Whitebark

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post

home beans I get from banff roasting co. They are in the compound and open tues ands sat. Sample some beans, buy direct, usuallly 1-3 days old tops

coffe shop: ya, whitebark (or Rave in canmore) both very good.

treats: JK bakery

5 cm in Jasper this morning and WARM! Above zero at mid mountain. Strange forecast the next few days. Might get a few days of lower elevation rain. Hope the temps stay 1-2 degrees colder than forecast which can easily happen around here. We could see some massive alpine totals or just a fizzled out warm front.

and rain to 8000ft right now (9am) should get higher thruout the day

It's absolutely pounding rain in Jasper. -1 at mid-mountain and snowing hard. Forecast earlier was for mid mountain rain but we might get lucky. Wind hold for the chairlifts as this front moves in. Could be epic or it might warm up and soak everything. Please no November rain crust...

edit**
    And it stopped. Got a few cms up top. Now we hope this warm front passes without rain.
    Last edited by jetski; 11-23-2017 at 10:50 AM.

looks like this might be OK for hill skiing afterall
    11cm since lift close and still snowing at 19:00 7000ft (SSV village). I assume the snow started a bit sooner higher

http://www.mountainweather.ca/data/STONEHENGE.HTM

Any idea what had been open off divide?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Fernie's preview weekend has been cancelled due to the warm weather and rain that we received. A really shame as last week it was full on winter and now it feels like spring with most of the snow in town gone.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    looks like this might be OK for hill skiing afterall
    11cm since lift close and still snowing at 19:00 7000ft (SSV village). I assume the snow started a bit sooner higher

http://www.mountainweather.ca/data/STONEHENGE.HTM
    The rain to mountain top made it a damp day, but it did start snowing mid day at goat's eye.

So, any recs on where to demo skis tomorrow morning? My skis are lost in Air Canada baggage hell apparently. Supposedly they are footing the bill, though without going back to the airport I can only talk to someone in India who doesn’t know anything more than I do. Banff, Sunshine, Lake Louise, whatever.

Chuck’s and Whitebark were rad, thanks again for the advice! Between getting here at 3am, the lost skis and the wet weather I bailed on skiing today and feel very guilty. Now I’m worried that nobody will let decent skis out this early in the season. I know I’ll be fine once I’m actually skiing but right now my neuroses are winning.

I believe snowtips is open at 8 am, so you can grab some skis before you head to sunshine/Louise. Or you can rent at the resorts. It will be more expensive at the resort. I’d be very surprised if they didn’t provide good skis even in early season, I’ve never heard of that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

divide: I assume just a blue run off that, and still not much on angle /TP

skis: snowtips (banff), wilsons (in lake louise) or Ultimate (banff)

skiing today: I would guess lake louise: summit laps on front side, and then laps with backside summit/paradise

Air Canada is so bad at having skiers skis arrive on a different flight (usually the next day) that at the on mountain demo centre where i work part time, we have the ability to bill Air Canada directly using the rental skis voucher that AC gives to their customers who skis they have temporarily lost.

The voucher is for standard rentals, but if I am on duty the skier get a free upgrade.

Well, the skis arrived at 3am so I’m happy not to have to deal with renting. I’ll be at Lake Louise today. If you see a guy in a gray shell and mustard helmet say hello!

PSA (passing savings along) for nordica, technica, blizzard cheap in Canada

www.nordicaskioutlet.com
    www.blizzardskioutlet.com

this is NOT a deal thru me, just PSA. If you are in alberta, and can come get them, pick Soul Ski & Bike as your store.

Tell them Dave sent ya. (use that as the "race team" name)

free shipping, prices in CND funds. If absolutely needed, I can re-ship something for the cost of shipping + beers

(keep in mind that the boots are new, in box, free shipping, but DON'T include any fitting work, and no exchanges, refunds, options, or whining)

If you have questions on what might fit you, let me know and I can try to help

Cochise boots new for $250
    Bushywayne skis for $350.
    hunt for some deals.

Not sure whats up with the feed but kind of refreshing to watch coverage WITHOUT the commentating...not that Brian Stemmle does a poor job or anything.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wi...uise-1.4414477

Rain crust got us in Jasper. Didn't loose much...Just my fillings. 5-8cm for a refresh and we should be back to normal.