Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

2017/2018 CANADIAN ROCKIES THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Another avy incident Fernie area caught 2 skiers sounds like only 1 survived. Rip.
    Be careful out there.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Found out yesterday the deceased was a high school buddy of a co-worker. Happened somewhere east of Fernie. Apparently he was skiing with his Dad, May have been part of a larger group of 10 if I have the info correctly. What I was told was they were skiing into an open area when some snowmobiles crossed the slope they were on above them and triggered the slide. The deceased would have been in his late 30’s/early 40’s. Reading the articles, no mention of snowmobiles. From what my co worker told me the Dad found and dug out the son after digging himself out, within 20 minutes. But too late by then. Need to see what further comes out to sort the fact from fiction.

Find out more Tuesday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    What I was told was they were skiing into an open area when some snowmobiles crossed the slope they were on above them and triggered the slide.
    If this is accurate, that is completely messed up, a complete disregard for backcountry protocol and a total disregard for the safety of other bc users.....arguably criminal.

Found out yesterday the deceased was a high school buddy of a co-worker. Happened somewhere east of Fernie. Apparently he was skiing with his Dad, May have been part of a larger group of 10 if I have the info correctly. What I was told was they were skiing into an open area when some snowmobiles crossed the slope they were on above them and triggered the slide. The deceased would have been in his late 30’s/early 40’s. Reading the articles, no mention of snowmobiles. From what my co worker told me the Dad found and dug out the son after digging himself out, within 20 minutes. But too late by then. Need to see what further comes out to sort the fact from fiction.

Find out more Tuesday.

Location was Thunder Meadows Cabin. No snomobiles there ever. You have been misinformed.

Group of 10- Other skiers from the group remotely caused the slide after the 2 seperated from the the main group on Monday at the end of the day. The group had a somber night in the hut after notifying RCMP and were heli evac'd out Tuesday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Location was Thunder Meadows Cabin. No snomobiles there ever. You have been misinformed.

Co worker was the one that relayed the story. Good for the clarification. Still sucks big time though.

Using Tapatalk

Co worker was the one that relayed the story. Good for the clarification. Still sucks big time though.

Agreed- Sucks big time. Details are definitely being kept quite at this time pending an investigation

So sorry to hear of the loss.

The gf and I will be at Lake Louise tomorrow and would love to link up with anyone for some turns. PM me for digits or yell at the guy in the green jacket and gray pants with the mid-00s era white Gotamas.

I have late 00’s Mantras. We dance with the wimmin what brung us...

Using Tapatalk

Anyone going Banff to revy that would have room for skis ?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Skis and a body, or just skis?

Quote Originally Posted by Singel View Post
    Skis and a body, or just skis?
    I think its just skis. Odds are some silly, skinny rando thing that ways as much as a poo.

I'm coming through on Friday and could probably help out - fire me a pm if you still need

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post

Group of 10- Other skiers from the group remotely caused the slide after the 2 seperated from the the main group on Monday at the end of the day. The group had a somber night in the hut after notifying RCMP and were heli evac'd out Tuesday morning.
    The fatality was from a group based out of a cabin in the Sand Creek, not Thunder Meadows.
    There was a separate incident a few days before the fatality, where 3 people were injured in an avalanche in Orca Bowl while returning from Thunder Meadows.
    Two different incidents in separate locations.

Hate hearing about avie fatalities...

Need to bump this with good news. 7 measly cms skied like 12. Typical Rockies. Skiing was way way better yesterday than the last few weeks. The refresh blew around and made skiing the expert terrain at Marmot good again. Even a few hard earned wind drift face shots...

20cm at LL in 24 hours. 6? person line up at the poma, So busy

I'm there for the weekend if anyone wants to do a lap.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I'm there for the weekend if anyone wants to do a lap.
    I might be there tomorrow. Sunday for sure. No problem showing you around! I usually hike as its good for my fat old out of shape ass. PM me your cell digits and I will see if it works out.

Windy! Great blown in conditions in places...

Lake is doing some amazing things with getting terrain open

"Terrain update: ER6 and Whitehorn H Gully areas open, working hard on Elevator Shaft and upper ER5, coming soon!"

upper ER5 has not been open in a few years I think...

Sweet, anyone out there tomorrow? Trying to find the motivation to go.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Sleeper day at the Horse today...superb!!!

The MASSIVE system that hit Whistler looks like its starting to make its way our way tomorrowish.

20 cm yesterday at SSV.
    5 at LL today. both hills 50+ in 7 and no one.

LL today: Summit had a 6 person line up, once, today. WH2, H & I are both open. ER6/7 open. Patrol working on middle ER5, and upper kiddies.

wow the rockies are skiing well and no one knows or cares.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    20 cm yesterday at SSV.

LL today: Summit had a 6 person line up, once, today. WH2, H & I are both open. ER6/7 open. Patrol working on middle ER5, and upper kiddies.

We are on 191cm in the past 7 days, otherwise i would be super interested in coming to check it out! Hopefully heading out that way in late April for spring pow!

Edit: just googled ER5. That face is incredible for inbounds terrain!

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    We are on 191cm in the past 7 days, otherwise i would be super interested in coming to check it out! Hopefully heading out that way in late April for spring pow!

Edit: just googled ER5. That face is incredible for inbounds terrain!
    spril can be VERY wintery here still. bring sun screen but dont count on corn snow. Usually the base is still increasing until end of april or early may (LL open until early may, SSV end of may)

ER5 is a bit sporty

20 cm yesterday at SSV.

I care Dave, I care! And, agree.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

20 cm yesterday at SSV.

Unfortunately, many have M-F day jobs and little flexibility....gimme a liquid retirement..

Using Tapatalk