Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    although my neighbor has one of the cargo ones and she drops her 2 kids off at daycare, does the groceries and stuff and it does seems pretty damn awesome in that situation
    We live at the top of a mile long climb. I could see my wife doing exactly this with an electric cargo bike as the hill would be really tough with groceries. Might be a few years into our future, though, as we still have two kids at home.

I really like that application.

Seth

Building a mid-drive cargo e-bike/custom frame is a on my long list of projects. What is the best mid-drive? Bafang BBSHD? Reliability is top priority.

My plan is to get the mid-drive kit, then build the frame around, e.g., braze-on mounts for the mid drive and to hold wire harness. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Germone, what's the deal with crank arms loosening? AFAICT your BBS02 is tried and true JIS square taper.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    although my neighbor has one of the cargo ones and she drops her 2 kids off at daycare, does the groceries and stuff and it does seems pretty damn awesome in that situation
    We live at the top of a mile long climb. I could see my wife doing exactly this with an electric cargo bike as the hill would be really tough with groceries. Might be a few years into our future, though, as we still have two kids at home.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post

Seth
    Was the sceptic but love my cargo now.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

The Bafang mid drive arms are standard square taper, but the drive side is just a bare crank arm - no spider or other way to attach the chain ring. Supposedly they are a little soft and bend easily for off road use.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The Bafang mid drive arms are standard square taper, but the drive side is just a bare crank arm - no spider or other way to attach the chain ring. Supposedly they are a little soft and bend easily for off road use.
    Oh okay. Did some more research. Sounds like the Bafang cranks are soft and the female square taper hole can get enlarged. (Bring it on perverts.) Right side tandem pilot square taper crank arm or whack off spider for easy fix?

Bought this about two months ago and absolutely love it. Not for hardcore mountain biking but use it almost everyday on trails and road. Can't beat the price.
    https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...ant=1121017969

Definitely looking at an ebike for commuting. Makes sense even if ebike is $3K.

Cost of car commute per day:
    $.55/mile x 30 miles = $16.50
    Bridge toll: $6.50
    Parking: $28
    Total: $51/day
    $51x20= $1020/mo

Cost of ferry commute:
    $.55/mile x 10 = $5.50
    Parking: $3
    Ferry: $15
    Total: $23.50
    $23.50x20= $470/mo

Let's say I ebike 1/2 time, it pays for itself in 6 months vs. car and about a year vs. ferry.

Timing:
    car = 40 mins depending on traffic
    ferry = 90 mins
    ebike = 70 mins

They were yacking on the news last night that bridge tolls may go up to $9 per. That would def seal the deal on bike commuting

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    They were yacking on the news last night that bridge tolls may go up to $9 per. That would def seal the deal on bike commuting
    Not to mention that you can pedal and get a little exercise and fresh air. (Ebike also has lower emissions, if you're not a denier)

Uh, yeah, $50 a day pays for a fancy e-bike really quick.

This is the most normal looking one I've seen so far

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...rbo/turbo-vado

And e-bike for a 3 mile commute?

Yeah, they're all fucking ghey af and e-bikes are certainly not to be allowed the the weekend conga line of local non-motorized trails. It's a motorized vehicle. I'm not even sure I like them on rec paths and bike lanes around town. Just drive your fucking car at that point.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I stayed at a hostel in Queen Charlotte city that was completely off the grid for electricity & wifi in town and buddy even charged his electric scoot from a solar array

which brings up the question electric scooter vs electric bicycle ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you can go 74kph on it, it's a moped.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Uh, yeah, $50 a day pays for a fancy e-bike really quick.

This is the most normal looking one I've seen so far

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...rbo/turbo-vado
    If it has to look normal this is also a winner http://www.jensonusa.com/Oyama-CX-E8...RoCHGUQAvD_BwE It absolutely kills me to post a Jenson link but this is an awfully nice bike if you want pedal assist and don't like locking a bike up. Folders are pretty easy to take into work with you so much safer than locked outside. I know the guy that's bringing them into the US and he's an e-bike fanatic.

Looks like great dildo. The motor comes with batteries?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    If it has to look normal this is also a winner http://www.jensonusa.com/Oyama-CX-E8...RoCHGUQAvD_BwE It absolutely kills me to post a Jenson link but this is an awfully nice bike if you want pedal assist and don't like locking a bike up. Folders are pretty easy to take into work with you so much safer than locked outside. I know the guy that's bringing them into the US and he's an e-bike fanatic.
    yeah that looks pretty good for the short commute actualy, its definatley a bike with 7spd der to get up to cruising speed, its a folder, its only 37lbs, its got cable discs and its fucking cheap

back in the day at interbike 2 of the guys from the shop bought some battery powered mini bikes they were small enough to lay 2 of them down in the trunk of my Golf cover with luggage, just drive back into Canada Land

But they rode them everywhere on the strip no hassles, in a full ballroom meet n greet social function at the hotel, hotel corridors,sidewalks, malls, bring them in the room, everywhere a stupid tourist could be stupid probably because the mini bikes were so small/cute and they made no noise

but they finally got shit downtown in the mall from a rent a cop

where are all the cops in Vegas??

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Oh okay. Did some more research. Sounds like the Bafang cranks are soft and the female square taper hole can get enlarged. (Bring it on perverts.) Right side tandem pilot square taper crank arm or whack off spider for easy fix?
    Yeah, I'd love to know how to permanently fix the crankarm. I'll look into the tandem crank arm. I torque the nut to about 35ft-pounds, but it still feels like it wants to tighten more and then I will probably end up stripping the bolt.

The bafang BBSHD is better than a premade bike like Haibike or Specialized for someone that is looking for: cheaper, DYI, user serviceable, the most power output options (some ebike sellers will hotrod it to run on higher amps), can be run via throttle or PAS. Durability wise, I think you have to check all of the bolts every 200 miles. I forgot if I used lock-tite when I converted mine, but might when I re-tighten the bolts.

The BBSHD is essentially designed to fit on any typical classic frame shape specifically around the bottom bracket. I was going to put it on my softride bike, but the aluminum frame material is really wide around the bottom bracket area so the motor - bottom bracket wouldn't fit on. There are a lot of wires, so internal wiring would be really slick on a custom frame. for a cargo bike, you could also consider a 3000 watt motor.

I also recommend finding a reputable ebike motor seller. There are cheap and weak products especially ordering directly off of alibaba or wherever. It sounds like its impossible to find quality or safe batteries that aren't built by a ebike seller.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah that looks pretty good for the short commute actualy, its definatley a bike with 7spd der to get up to cruising speed, its a folder, its only 37lbs, its got cable discs and its fucking cheap
    I'll actually have a sample in a day or two so will be able to give a real world review. There is also a more expensive model with a 65 mile range and more power and there will be a full size model coming in over the winter. Both of these will have hydro discs and will still be under $2k. If you know anyone that would be interested send them my way.

37lbs. Thats basically my DH bike. Manageable for sure. Able to put it in a bike rack, pick it up and move it around for garage storage. Way better than some of the 50# beasts out there.

For commuters, the break through point is not making it "better" for avid cyclists. It's when people who like the idea of cycling but haven't wanted to commit start dipping their toes in the water. Personally, unless I live in nice weather and can do it in 15 min on a pedal bike, I'm going to drive because of the countless reasons I might back out (cold, might rain, might work late, need to brink a heavy computer bag, too sweaty to work, too tired to make the return trip). An eBike would definitely extend that range and eliminated a bunch of the what-ifs and finally get me and myriad others bike commuting, at least part time.

edit: /\ /\ /\ I think that Tahoe/California law/definition thing will only help. Take out the variables and potentials for abuse and you don't have pedestrians and cars throwing even more hatred at bikes.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

Yeah I'm gonna start using it to run around town to do things that I haven't done on a bike for the 20+ years I've lived here because in theory I won't be all sweaty or dead from trying to keep up with traffic on the hills. If it works out I'm going to sell it off as quickly as possible and grab one of the more powerful ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to know how to permanently fix the crankarm. I'll look into the tandem crank arm.
    What's your idea re permanently fixing the crank arm? JIS square taper has worked reliably on tens of millions of bicycles with no problem. Sounds like the problem with the Bafang crank arms is that they are too soft and thus get sucked deeper on the BB spindle was you tighten. If so, the solution is to get crankarms with better alloy, an inexpensive solution. Pilot tandem crank arm looks the same as a left (non-spider) single crank arm but with righty pedal threads. The other approach is to get a decent JIS square taper right arm and whack off the spider.

Thanks for the info re the BBSHD. I'd likely source from Luna Cycles unless I can find a better deal from a bro inside the industry.

back in the day Junior had creaky crank arms (race face turbines on a WTB BB) that noise just wouldn't go away, the thing that fixed the creak was to use green sleeve and bearing retaining loctite as recommended by a guy who fixes locomotives, which definatley did fix the creaks cuz its like glueing the cranks on with epoxy

it was all academic cuz he jumped a road gap on his HT and broke the BB, he snapped 3 more before he got a bike with FS

then he broke the frame in half

Green bearing retaining loctite (609) actually comes off relatively easy--relatively being the key word. It gets contact with a Lot of surface area, so it can require quite a force to remove. Nothing like any decent epoxy or even the blue stuff, though.

May not help much for a really soft crank arm, since that might just keep opening up. Sounds like Steve knows what repeated insertions do to an already oversized hole. But hey...if it's cheap to try there's no judgement here.

I had to use a parktool crank puller with a lever on the end to get the cranks off so I would call it relatively hard

knowing what I know now ... I would have use a little heat