Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Electric bike thread

What do you have? How fast is it? What level of cool is it?......

I've got 2.

My daily commuter is an old Norco touring bike with a Xiongda 2 speed hub motor running at 36V. It's top speed is about 30kph on the flats but it climbs well so I can still do 20kph up the steep hill I climb on my way home every day. It weighs in at about 40lb. About a 2 on the coolness scale but it's pretty stealth.

My other is a Giant Stiletto with ape hangers & banana seat. I mounted a 1000W 36V motor to the idler bottom bracket, it has a 100A 60V controller so when I buy my next battery I can go 52V and make it cook. I've had it up to 74 kph on the DH leg of my commute, it will do about 40kph on the flat. It weighs in at about 70lb. I sit in a semi recumbent position so putting power to the pedals is pretty inefficient. Motor has a roller clutch so I don't have to turn the motor if the battery is dead. 13 teeth on the motor turns 68 teeth on the idler BB, on the side of the idler BB is about a 20 tooth gear that runs the rear chain to the cassette. Beside the 20 tooth is an 18 tooth BMX freewheel that is driven by the pedals, when the motor runs teh freewheel can freewheel so I don't have to pedal if I don't want to. I've got a 7 speed cassette with a left hand mounted grip shift and I have a twist throttle on the right hand. It's pretty fun to ride. Definitely high on the cool scale. I've cleaned up the wiring since this photo was taken. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chopper1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	211951
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

^Cooler than most.

The only e-bike I'll ever buy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	211952

Once I figure out where my mysterious trust fund is.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

That Stiletto is pretty dope. More like an electric moped though. I guess I'd put that in the "vehicle" division.

I've never been on an eBike. Very intrigued though. The funny thing with my friends in Italy is that most of them are guides, and the shuttle service is amazing, so they don't really need eBikes per se. At the same time, they have no hangups about them. Technical downhills aren't really going to benefit from more power. All the hangups Americans have about access and eBikes just aren't there. The whole biking and outdoor community seems to advocate together rather than being fractured and they just accept each other for their different goals.

I'm wondering if there'll be a power tool entry to the market. Would like to see Ryobi have one that you could just swap out the batteries from your 18V collection. Maybe cary a spare for bigger rides, or pay more for the low profile, lighter battery. I'd rather have that than a giant battery and tons of speed/mileage.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

I have a commuter e-bike.

Bike is a Schwinn Super Sport disc, rigid fork hybrid. Basically like this --
    http://www.wiggle.com/schwinn-super-...7c5360750698us

Ebike kit is a BBS HD mid-drive, with a 48V 10.5ah li-ion battery mounted on the water bottle downtube braze-ons. Bought the kit and battery here:
    https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbshd-1000w-mid-drive-kit/

Added a rear rack and top bag, fenders, and flashy lights. Great commuter bike, weighs around 50-55# with everything on it.

I have to recharge the battery at work -- it's a 17-mile trip each way, and about 1600' elevation difference. The trip to work is more downhill; going home is more uphill and frequently has headwinds. Will cruise on flats easily at around 25 mph (minimal pedaling), no idea what top speed is going downhill -- I backed off when I hit 45 mph, but it had more to give.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm pretty much against these things on single track, but I'm all for them on bike paths, roads, and dirt roads. They'd be great for commuting when you don't want to show up drenched in sweat.

Seems like the technology is taking off, but people insist on making them fugly as all hell. Like ugly ass concept cars that never make it to production. WTF is up with that? There's a reason regular bikes look the way they do, because they work. I do like the cargo bikes though, definitely makes sense if you have electric assist.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    That Stiletto is pretty dope. More like an electric moped though. I guess I'd put that in the "vehicle" division.

I've never been on an eBike. Very intrigued though. The funny thing with my friends in Italy is that most of them are guides, and the shuttle service is amazing, so they don't really need eBikes per se. At the same time, they have no hangups about them. Technical downhills aren't really going to benefit from more power. All the hangups Americans have about access and eBikes just aren't there. The whole biking and outdoor community seems to advocate together rather than being fractured and they just accept each other for their different goals.

I'm wondering if there'll be a power tool entry to the market. Would like to see Ryobi have one that you could just swap out the batteries from your 18V collection. Maybe cary a spare for bigger rides, or pay more for the low profile, lighter battery. I'd rather have that than a giant battery and tons of speed/mileage.
    Europe doesn't have a huge swath of retired fuckwit lawyers with nothing better to do than sue land managers over what they see as 'appropriate use'
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Luna has a BBS02 (750W) with 48v 10.5AH battery on for $750. Smoking deal but not as fast as the BBSHD (1000W). You can hot rod the BBS02 for about 1400W without cooking the controller, I'm betting you could pull 2000W out of the BBSHD.

I thought about getting a BBSHD or 02 for my fat bike. It would be pretty handy on those nasty slippery climbs but ultimately I've decided I'm out there to get some exercise so it's not going to happen. I still might buy a BBS02 and put it on a cheap mt. bike for winter commuting.
    You are what you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Bosch is already one of the major eBike battery / drivetrain manufacturers.

The bike batteries are way bigger than the power tool ones though - like 3-4x the amp hours, and higher voltage. Takes a lot of juice to cart some fatass uphill.

My LBS has a orbea commuter/utility e-bike. 20" wheels, IGH hub, big basket on the front, integrated lights and lock. Great for crusing around town, running errands, etc, and getting to top speed and staying there is effortless. It's hilarious how fast it gets to 19mph in turbo mode; you take like 3 easy pedal strokes and you're there.

Only thing that bothers me is people using e-bikes on trails where they aren't allowed. Forest service considers them a motorized vehicle which means you can only ride them where dirt bikes are allowed, which around here is only part of one trail network. Although I'm also not sure I agree with that either. They're definitely not impacting trails in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    My LBS has a orbea commuter/utility e-bike. 20" wheels, IGH hub, big basket on the front, integrated lights and lock. Great for crusing around town, running errands, etc, and getting to top speed and staying there is effortless. It's hilarious how fast it gets to 19mph in turbo mode; you take like 3 easy pedal strokes and you're there.

Only thing that bothers me is people using e-bikes on trails where they aren't allowed. Forest service considers them a motorized vehicle which means you can only ride them where dirt bikes are allowed, which around here is only part of one trail network. Although I'm also not sure I agree with that either. They're definitely not impacting trails in the same way.
    With an e-bike its possible to ride further /farther/ faster on a bike that weighs twice as much which all boils down to more wear n tear on the trails ... so whom is going to fix that ?

an e-bike has a motor so it can't go on non-motor ized trails

so as long as they stay off non motorized trails i'm fine with e-bikes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yamaha just announced that it's going to enter the ebike market.

I see that as a good thing. If the traditional moto companies take over the ebike market, there'll be less of a perception that ebikes are the same as non-motorized pedal bikes.

i'm pretty stoked about the commuter uses for e-bikes. Cool build there beaver...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Sounds kinda like the GoCycle (https://gocycle.com/about/), which is a pretty cool looking machine. Spendy though. How are the 20" wheels? Seems like they would feel weird coming from "real" bikes.

Although I'm also not sure I agree with that either. They're definitely not impacting trails in the same way.
    For now, maybe. In 5-10 years when they have twice the power (or more), no. Throttle kits for Class 1/Class 3 are already cheap and readily available, as are widgets that defeat the motor speed limiter. The line between ebike and electric dirtbike is only going to get blurrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    i'm pretty stoked about the commuter uses for e-bikes.
    Agreed. If I ever find myself living too far from work for manual riding to be practical I'll get one in a heartbeat. Man do I hate driving to work now.

Eh, it's still a mountain bike on mountain bike tires. Compared to what an actual motorcycle does, the wear would not even be close. I think there could be a place for them between only motorized and all trails, but that would be a lot of work for the FS I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Sounds kinda like the GoCycle (https://gocycle.com/about/), which is a pretty cool looking machine. Spendy though. How are the 20" wheels? Seems like they would feel weird coming from "real" bikes.
    I've only taken it out for a couple of quick spins, I didn't notice too much different besides the upright postition. And the basket is fixed to the head tube so that's a little weird.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/ebikes/katu-e-10-usa

$3k though.

Simple math eh?

Where I usually ride I climb for lets say 1hr on my pedal bike,

I make 1 run down in a day and I will do Damage/wear n tear

but if i got a motor I can climb that same trail 3 times in a day before i'm done

so in a day I could do 3 times the trail damage/wear n tear I would normaly do

if everybody is riding E-bikes it does not take a rocket biologist to figure out we will have way more damage which somebody usually your local mtb associartion will have to fix, is your average e-biker going to do 3 times as much work or any work at all ?

it really easy for land use people to make distinctions because an e-bike has a motor so ... its "motorized"
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Not to mention the obesity epidemic that will all of a sudden envelope the mountain bike community. Riders may need to supplement their ebiking with a couple hours on the roadie or maybe go to the gym for some treadmill time and maybe lay off the beer and nachos.

That aped low rider is pretty sweet Beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

The only e-bike I'll ever buy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	211952

Once I figure out where my mysterious trust fund is.
    funny thing is that a lot of dirt bikes are cheaper than mtn bikes too lol

obviously the one above is fancy but I have bought and sold excellent dirt bikes for the ~$1500-2000 range and I don't think there are decent ebikes in that price range
    thinking about adding a nice st worthy dirt bike to our commuting set-up
    skid luxury

I saw these awhile back and was intrigued. Says it converts most bikes, but not sure on range offhand.
    https://www.geoo.com/pages/how-it-works

That looks really cool. Says up to 50 miles on pedal assist.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I saw these awhile back and was intrigued. Says it converts most bikes, but not sure on range offhand.
    https://www.geoo.com/pages/how-it-works
    I don't mean to be Debbie Downer but, "Why?" It seems to me that you're adding weight wight you don't need. All that crap in the middle of the wheel will weigh more than a hub & spokes. It's a friction drive, will it slip if it's wet or if some asshole greases your rim? All those turning parts against the rim might get grit & shit in them. If you ever "derail" you're going down hard.

50 miles (80km) with pedal assist is not much. I've got a 13.5AH 36V (486Wh) battery that will get me more than 40KM (they say 1 km/10Wh is a rule of thumb) with no pedalling, I've never tried but if I set the assist to minimum and rode until the battery was dead I could get a hell of a lot more than 50miles. The most I've done is about 80km (with pedal assist at max) before I charged it before it was dead dead.

You're also limited in the battery you can put on it just because of the available space

I think a hub wheel would work way better and be simpler too.
    Last edited by Beaver; 09-13-2017 at 09:50 AM.
    You are what you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    funny thing is that a lot of dirt bikes are cheaper than mtn bikes too lol

obviously the one above is fancy but I have bought and sold excellent dirt bikes for the ~$1500-2000 range and I don't think there are decent ebikes in that price range
    thinking about adding a nice st worthy dirt bike to our commuting set-up
    Adding this to "shit that annoys you" thread..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

These look pretty cheesy, and they are only $1500 so they probably are, but add a ski rack and some studded snows and you got a sweet ride to the lift or grocery getter. The name just kinda irks me too. Radbike almost as bad as Shredgnar

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...MaAgxXEALw_wcB

A better quality build would be a Surly Big Dummy with one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Ebike kit is a BBS HD mid-drive, with a 48V 10.5ah li-ion battery mounted on the water bottle downtube braze-ons. Bought the kit and battery here:
    https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbshd-1000w-mid-drive-kit/

Radbikes are way less expensive than other cargo ebike options: Xtracycle, Surly, Yuba, etc - though haven't really looked into why. Van Moof looks like an awesome non-cargo set of wheels...

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    Radbikes are way less expensive than other cargo ebike options: Xtracycle, Surly, Yuba, etc - though haven't really looked into why. Van Moof looks like an awesome non-cargo set of wheels...
    Rear E-wheel driven vs. the bike being built around the motor/transmission.
    Alpental Indigenous