Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation BEFORE BUYING: Watch out for resellers!

Someone from Patagonia kindly pointed out to me that there are forum members purchasing product from used gear sites like wornwear.com and reselling the gear here.

So these members are not getting some $$ back for their well-loved stuff, they are just turning gear over for profit. And you suckers are falling for it!

This is a thread that was called out as an example:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...r-Jacket-Pants

We often have people looking to register for the specific purpose of selling to all of you (Exhibit A). I think we should further restrict new members from selling stuff until they are a proven member of the community. That's something we can decide later.

But for now, what other deal sites are out there? Maybe we should keep a list here for people to do a quick price check against and call people out when necessary.

Are you finally going to do something about it? I call out these jackasses all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Are you finally going to do something about it? I call out these jackasses all the time.
    What do you suggest?

Let the moderators give them the boot. It's pretty obvious who they are. Join dates within a week of posting massive sales. Low-post count with brand new gear. It doesn't take a genius to figure out who these sellers are.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    What do you suggest?
    The criteria have already been set:

Actually, the problem is that you haven't shown us any pictures of your girlfriends tits. Pony up or gtfo

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    The criteria have already been set:
    That too. Heh

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    But for now, what other deal sites are out there?
    geartrade.com comes to mind. btw if anyone sees any of these, use the "report post" functionality and they will be readily dealt with.

It's usually pretty obvious. The above mentioned reasons and the non-mag-making-closet-space prices.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

BEFORE BUYING: Watch out for resellers!

Yeah, i'd say they weed ( or call ) themselves out. "HIGH END SUPER SALE" does not scream "hey guys, just cleaning out my closet "

Can "we" stop some one from being able to PM you when they haven't made any posts in any forum and are soliciting in that fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    Can "we" stop some one from being able to PM you when they haven't made any posts in any forum and are soliciting in that fashion?
    No someone here has a great idea- props!

6 month or year waiting period for new accounts before they can sell

PLUS

100 non-spam, non-cursary posts before you can sell.

#keepitinthecommunity
    #contributeordie
    #tgrbornandraised
    #bringbackthetags
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

+1 -- zero post count lurkers soliciting via pm seems odd. Definitely be wary of this.

Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Pm sent
    slide
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    6 month or year waiting period for new accounts before they can sell

PLUS

100 non-spam, non-cursary posts before you can sell.

#keepitinthecommunity
    #contributeordie
    #tgrbornandraised
    #bringbackthetags
    X3

What about requiring references from other mags in good standing (whatever that might mean)?

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    X3

What about requiring references from other mags in good standing (whatever that might mean)?
    We kind of do that in the "props to" thread and in good / non-spammy / non-schist-y sales threads.

If someone with 103 posts and 1 year 15 days on the forum is selling, other long time mags are free to post in that thread, "hey, this person is cool, I've dealt with them, or I know them in person, etc.

Vouching use to happen more often when TGR was smaller.

Can I x 4 my own post?

6 to 12 months plus 100 non-crap posts before you can sell.

The only reasoned I'd be wary of the >100 post rule is sometimes I see someone drop in who obviously had better things to do than hang around these parts, the post up a few pics of well loved gear for a good price, and everything goes well. Some promising posts from the last few weeks:
    - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ds-some-love**
    - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...rew-softshells

I'm not sure that this is any less--or more--common than jongs who are ill intentioned. It'd suck to tell these people to go away when the way they're treating the community from the get-go is pretty generous.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The only reasoned I'd be wary of the >100 post rule is sometimes I see someone drop in who obviously had better things to do than hang around these parts, the post up a few pics of well loved gear for a good price, and everything goes well.
    Agreed. By instituting mandatory minimums we may deprive the community of potentially very good members. I think the solution lies in the community policing itself and using the "report" feature in addition to general harrassment of a reseller/scammer or spambot.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The only reasoned I'd be wary of the >100 post rule is sometimes I see someone drop in who obviously had better things to do than hang around these parts, the post up a few pics of well loved gear for a good price, and everything goes well. Some promising posts from the last few weeks:
    - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ds-some-love**
    - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...rew-softshells

I'm not sure that this is any less--or more--common than jongs who are ill intentioned. It'd suck to tell these people to go away when the way they're treating the community from the get-go is pretty generous.
    And I say, in great and presidented TGR tradition, fuck em.

They can have the iron clad trust honour and privilege of selling on TGR once they contributed and become a long term and "functioning*" part of our community.

Otherwise they are free to take their shit to EBay.

*"Functioning is not to denote positive or negative, but simply contribution to the constant good-hearted fluffery that is foundation on TGR.

Also, TGR should hire me to be their editor, in the jobs they've listed. TGR, pm me for details...I'm wicked smaht at the editing game...Some might even say poignant. And did I mention wicked smaht? Why don't you take me for serious? Pm me, I dare you.

They probably won't ship to Canada. Waaay to confusing. Especially when you factor in that ocean

What happened to the old gear swap price police task force? Maggot ground rules for used gear:

50% off MSRP
    -10% per year used
    -10% if less than perfect
    +10-20% if rare/burly/super awesome sought after thing
    +10% New in plastic/with tags

You need more money than that? Take it to flebay or craigslist. That isn't a maggot deal.

So with this example, a pair of OG Spatulas NIP would only be 70-80% of original retail, and it would move here because of what they are. I don't shop gear swap to pay MSRP. Flippers often were called out, shamed and every other post stalked and mocked until they paid their dues. Have we gotten soft in our own self regulation?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I blame Dunfee for abandoning us, and Alpy for repeatedly suggesting RX. It's all their fault.

Has anyone checked the guy who happened to post the Legend Pros for $550? People need to respect gear swap for helping a mag out, passing gear on to get someone else skiing or to try something new.

Ex. My protests have been sold on here 4 or 5 times now.

I saw we publicly humiliate the resellers until they go to EpicSki (or what ever it's called now).

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I think the solution lies in the community policing itself and using the "report" feature in addition to general harrassment of a reseller/scammer or spambot.
    Whatever else may end up being decided, reporting posts sends an email to some people and someone definitely does look at all of those reports. Not every thread might get read just as a result of browsing (for example even though I read GS a lot, I probably wouldn't click a FS thread for something I wouldn't buy anyway like XL clothes or 19x Legend Pros) so ya report stuff it it is shitty.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out who these sellers are.
    Well they finally took the server room door off it's hinges so maybe there's hope.