Salsa Blackborow

Personally, I would buy it just for the matching luggage but other than that I guess I don't really see the point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackborow.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	211769

http://salsacycles.com/culture/intro...new_blackborow
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Personally, I would buy it just for the matching luggage but other than that I guess I don't really see the point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackborow.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	211769

http://salsacycles.com/culture/intro...new_blackborow
    My wife commutes on snowpack on a fat bike for a good chunk of the winter, and the kids are going to the work daycare with her this year. We are using a trailer, but the right cargo bike would be practical for us.

Bike Packing is the new 4wd van.

I used to do some bikepacking™ "before it was cool" and used a bob trailer. I really liked that thing because you could stand up and pedal and didn't have 120lbs of swing weight on your bike. Isn't having that much shit on your frame kind of annoying? Genuine question, I've never traveled like that.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I've wondered about a Bob for bikepacking. I assumed there was a good reason people didn't use one, but never bothered asking. It'd be nice to get to a camp spot, unhook and go for an unweighted ride. Swing weight is a good point. Not to mention the fixed seatpost, and how much I don't like stuff dangling from my bars.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I've bobbed and I've used frame bags, both have their place. Currently I only use bags but still have a BOB if I do a trip where I'd rather have it.

The Revelate Designs stuff is so nice and you can balance the load pretty well, the trailer especially here in New England can be a choppy thing to pull if the terrain is rooty/rocky.

I've only toured with traditional racks + panniers, and I like that setup. It's all been on-road only, though.

On a family tour, we borrowed a Bob trailer and attached it to one of the kid's bikes -- a f/s mtn bike, using slick tires. The weight and leverage of the Bob caused a lot of lateral flex in the rear triangle, though the kiddo didn't seem to care. Probably a better idea to use a hardtail when using a Bob...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I've wondered about a Bob for bikepacking. I assumed there was a good reason people didn't use one, but never bothered asking. It'd be nice to get to a camp spot, unhook and go for an unweighted ride. Swing weight is a good point. Not to mention the fixed seatpost, and how much I don't like stuff dangling from my bars.
    It IS extra weight but some of these elaborate frame bag setups gotta be getting close to matching that. But yeah that was exactly the reason we used them, quick unclipping and having a real bike to ride in the evenings and/or get somewhere more quicker.

I used one on a first generation specialized enduro that had about the flexiest rear end known to man. It worked fine. They do bounce a bit but the ones with a shock tame that down a lot. It's astounding how much front wheel braking traction you get with one of those on since it keeps your rear wheel down. But yeah stand up pedaling it's like it's not there...because it isn't. You just feel the weight behind you but not swinging side to side with your pedal strokes.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

That shit has eBike written all over it.
    In all honesty, I think ebikes will be way way more prevalent in the future than Americans believe.
    Commuter/Townie Bike: YES
    Big climbs to big descents: YES
    Hauling shit with/on a bike: not my bag, But if I were to try I'd be all "eBike YES!"
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I used to do some bikepacking "before it was cool" and used a bob trailer. I really liked that thing because you could stand up and pedal and didn't have 120lbs of swing weight on your bike. Isn't having that much shit on your frame kind of annoying? Genuine question, I've never traveled like that.
    Placement makes a huge difference. I used to commute with a backpack full of tools. It sucked. Then I tried a milk crate on the back and even empty it was weird. I got some nice panniers that sit low on both sides and I can haul my electrician tools, drill, impact, bandsaw maybe a fish and bender and it hardly noticeable.

Salsa Blackborow

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    maybe a fish and blender and it hardly noticeable.
    I never travel without my Super Bassomatic!

http://<br /> http://www.nbc.com/sat...ic/n8631?snl=1

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    That shit has eBike written all over it.
    In all honesty, I think ebikes will be way way more prevalent in the future than Americans believe.
    Commuter/Townie Bike: YES
    Big climbs to big descents: YES
    Hauling shit with/on a bike: not my bag, But if I were to try I'd be all "eBike YES!"
    I don't like the idea of them on MTB trails where motos are banned, but I think once you've gone ebike for your commuter, you may as well have some sort of cargo bike rig. The only reason not to is cost, and they're only going to get cheaper.

eBikes don't have a throttle.
    There in lies the difference that escapes most debates.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Placement makes a huge difference. I used to commute with a backpack full of tools. It sucked. Then I tried a milk crate on the back and even empty it was weird. I got some nice panniers that sit low on both sides and I can haul my electrician tools, drill, impact, bandsaw maybe a fish and bender and it hardly noticeable.
    I got the bob trailer after being annoyed with panniers . I think I really do just get annoyed with the swing weight mashing up hills.

Backpacks aren't even an option. I mean we're a civilized society here, come on.

It doesn't matter if it's activated with your feet, your wrist or your own sense of self righteousness, a motor is a motor. The method of engagement is irrelevant. My car doesn't have a 'throttle' either but I'm not taking it on trails.

Well not frequently at least.

Class 2 have a throttle. Throttle kits for Class 1/Class 3 are cheap and readily available, as are widgets that defeat the motor speed limiter. I'm fully in favor of ebikes for commuting, touring, etc. But, on designated non-motorized trails they can get fucked. I honestly don't even get the appeal for MTB for all but the biggest talent-less hacks. There's a reason 50 lb DH bikes don't exist any more. eMTBs save you a few breaths on the way up, but then you get to descend on a 50 lb pig with trail bike suspension. Screw that.

Mine has a throttle, or 5-level pedal assist, and it's an awesome commuter. BBSHD kit on a fully rigid hybrid = 50# bike. I turned off the speed limiter -- it's limited solely by battery power and/or gravity and/or wind resistance.

I think it wouldn't be much fun offroad due to the weight. I also wonder how well the electronics would hold up to bashing around on trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

That new Pivot Shuttle with the shimano motor is under 20 kg and apparently reasonably nimble on the descent. Not yet available in US but part of a general trend. This shit worries me, as someone active in trailbuilding and gaining mtb access to existing trails.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.