Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    It cleared out today but the smoke has been bad in Iowa as well. The shit has drift staying power.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    SE Colorado has been socked in all weekend. Was on inciweb yesterday to see if you guys were on fire in NM, because that's were it usually comes from.

Anyways, my brother claims the smoke is coming from Montana?
    Today's noaa smoke map.

Air Quality = shitty

Blues for the red sun in Skitown USA http://www.steamboattoday.com/wp-con...l-1240x930.jpg

Here's another smoke map:

Poor bastards in the PNW.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Today's noaa smoke map.
    So we're fucking the rest of the USA?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    So we're fucking the rest of the USA?
    In the ass.

everybody round here's been blaming californication but looks like you PNW's have been the source
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    everybody round here's been blaming californication but looks like you PNW's have been the source
    If there hadn't be so many Californians moving in, that penis of smoke wouldn't be beige you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    that penis of smoke
    looks like its about to stab iceland
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    looks like its about to stab iceland
    Greenland there is sort of delta-ish, don't you think?

I wish I'd taken a picture as I crested a viewpoint at 10k ft in New Mexico this afternoon, totally socked in with smoke from the PNW.

QFT

My advice (retired fire biz): get used to it.
    You can really tell that this is the future just by looking at the management strategy. Out of the 28 fires listed this morning on the NWCC morning briefing, 10 are non-full suppression fires. Despite this, huge numbers of orders for resources going UTF.

Fires we used to throw massive amounts of resources at we now back off of and watch for months. Not because we don't want to do something else, but we literally don't have the capability in terms of safety, fire behavior or resources to do other wise.

Just up the drainage from the new Eagle Creek fire in the Columbia Gorge is the Indian Creek fire, which has been burning since 7/4 and has cost 6.5 million to date with zero containment while they dump water on it with scoopers and type 1 helos.

Today's noaa smoke map.
    Is that one of them french ticklers bout half way back on the top side?

Or is it just a mutant penis with moose antlers?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Is that one of them french ticklers bout half way back on the top side?

Or is it just a mutant penis with moose antlers?
    It's Canaduh up there, so I'd say moose antlers.

I have no problem with the smoke and haze. You live in the west, there are large fires every summer, as there should be, and hopefully will continue to be. Some summers will be worse than others. If you don't like the smoke, move to Minnesota with DD and spare the rest of us your whining.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I have no problem with the smoke and haze. You live in the west, there are large fires every summer, as there should be, and hopefully will continue to be. Some summers will be worse than others. If you don't like the smoke, move to Minnesota with DD and spare the rest of us your whining.
    This ain't normal, dude. It's hotter and dryer than it used to be, and the fires are god-awful this year.

Looks like VaiLA around here.
    On a related note, that LA fire was burning right near where I grew up. Remember a couple summers where there was an orange glow over the mountains at night...sounds like that was more of a glow.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    As of today, the acreage burned this year has exceeded the 10 year average by 2.4 million acres.

Quote Originally Posted by mecc69 View Post
    You can really tell that this is the future just by looking at the management strategy. Out of the 28 fires listed this morning on the NWCC morning briefing, 10 are non-full suppression fires. Despite this, huge numbers of orders for resources going UTF.

Fires we used to throw massive amounts of resources at we now back off of and watch for months. Not because we don't want to do something else, but we literally don't have the capability in terms of safety, fire behavior or resources to do other wise.

Just up the drainage from the new Eagle Creek fire in the Columbia Gorge is the Indian Creek fire, which has been burning since 7/4 and has cost 6.5 million to date with zero containment while they dump water on it with scoopers and type 1 helos.
    They gotta let the shit burn for fuck sakes.

Wildfire management strategies and actual forest ecology need to be part of the same solution. Its cute that we think we can control mother nature.

15 or 20 years ago a friend in the the fire fighting biz tols me that if we keep putting these fires out ,we're gonna be screwed one day and not be able to do a damn thing but show up, dump water and collect paychecks while the whole thing erupts out of control. I think that day has come.

Ahhh....some improvement this evening!

Quote Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
    They gotta let the shit burn for fuck sakes.

Wildfire management strategies and actual forest ecology need to be part of the same solution. Its cute that we think we can control mother nature.

15 or 20 years ago a friend in the the fire fighting biz tols me that if we keep putting these fires out ,we're gonna be screwed one day and not be able to do a damn thing but show up, dump water and collect paychecks while the whole thing erupts out of control. I think that day has come.
    Oh, I think we are past the point where we get to use anything resembling fire ecology to manage fires during fire season. Even when we let them burn, the fires continually out fire behavior whatever "big box" indirect strategy they have spent months and millions of dollars prepping.

These huge, let burn fires end up sucking up massive amounts of resources if and when they come out of the wilderness because their perimeters are so huge.

They are trying that on the Cascade Crest right now. Multiple fires on their way out of the wilderness. I heard on the local conservative talk show that if we just had a few more 747's it would all be fine.

Not saying there is any other way around it, but the next few decades of fires in the West are going to be ugly.

Lots of smoke and ash on the cars in the San Juans today

When things are as dry as they've been there probably isn't much "management" that would actually help. Shit's gonna burn if we fuck with the forest, it's going to burn if we don't. Hearing Zinke, Daines, and Gianforte stand there in Lolo and blame it all on those radical environmentalist groups and their lawsuits was pretty frustrating.

Anyway, in Missoula the air quality is aug wasn't too bad. There were days where it got into unhealthy but it would usually clear out in the afternoon. Sunday and Monday were the worst. Monday it was firmly in the hazardous zone. Better than Seeley lake though. They have been dealing with "hazardous" pretty much every day for the last month.

Some useful fire-related links

nasa daily sat imagery. goes by the pnw at like 3pm.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/

turn on the fires and thermal anomalies layer.

US fire activity map

http://disasterresponse.maps.arcgis....d3b7f75162b3f4

inciweb

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

if you click on a state in that table it will take you to the page for the state

And a website I put up, thought it might be helpful

http://www.ismontanaonfire..com

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Today's noaa smoke map.
    Umm Freud.....

We're all getting fucked by this smoke