Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    jeebus, didn't realize that TetonGravity.com was so hard to remember!
    Heh. It's not so much the name, I just remember having to click a whole bunch of links trying to find this forum way back in the olden days.
    "Don't bug me, granny. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up." --Tragg

OK. How terrifying is 80mph on 2 planks of wood then? It sounds terrifying. Maybe I need to detach my hood.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

FKNA
    Last edited by Dhelihiker; 09-22-2017 at 07:34 PM.

OK. How terrifying is 80mph on 2 planks of wood then? It sounds terrifying. Maybe I need to detach my hood.
    I'd have a hard time calling it terrifying; maybe because I'm doing the driving. Plus, I've been skiing at these speeds for years. But no doubt I'd be paralyzed with fear, and probably pass out, if I were just strapped to the skis and someone else controlled them. Even though I was almost 30 when I started skiing, I actually used to have horrible nightmares about almost this same thing. I'd be speeding down a run having a good time when suddenly my skis would take control and send me off a cliff. In dream after dream, there was nothing I could do to stop my skis from killing me. Those were the days when all I knew about skiing was that going fast was fun. Whenever I was going too fast, I'd just fall to one side and slide to a stop. The nightmares went away after a couple seasons when I finally learned I didn't have to fall down to stop. Heh
    "Don't bug me, granny. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up." --Tragg

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason View Post
    I'd have a hard time calling it terrifying; maybe because I'm doing the driving. Plus, I've been skiing at these speeds for years. But no doubt I'd be paralyzed with fear, and probably pass out, if I were just strapped to the skis and someone else controlled them. Even though I was almost 30 when I started skiing, I actually used to have horrible nightmares about almost this same thing. I'd be speeding down a run having a good time when suddenly my skis would take control and send me off a cliff. In dream after dream, there was nothing I could do to stop my skis from killing me. Those were the days when all I knew about skiing was that going fast was fun. Whenever I was going too fast, I'd just fall to one side and slide to a stop. The nightmares went away after a couple seasons when I finally learned I didn't have to fall down to stop. Heh
    I have vivid memories of re-occurring nightmares as a kid (~4-8yro) where I'd hit a jump at the top of the run and just not come down, flying ~500ft above the hill and then free falling into the parking lot towards certain death. Come to think of it, all of my falling dreams started by hitting jumps on skis or skiing off massive cliffs.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

How do I deal with this wind resistance thing?
    Without dressing like Borat.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Learn to tuck and/or find steeper groomers...?

How do I deal with this wind resistance thing?
    Without dressing like Borat.
    I enjoy skiing very fast, and it's not too hard to hit 60+ mph just by straight lining. Getting above 70+ mph requires pretty steep groomers and grabbing a tuck. Getting much above 75mph, I have to strip down or at least lose bulky outer layers. Getting above 80 mph is all about decreasing drag even further, but is also highly influenced by the consistency of the snow surface and how well the ski is prepped. I haven't broken 80 in what seems like a long time now, but I still try.

My kid on the other hand, clocked in at 95.4 MPH last year in a speed suit on 218DH boards, with perfect snow and before the hill (Bachelor )was open to the public. In the actual DH race later that day (and on a different run), the top speeds were right around 72mph.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Yeah, to continue w the dead horse...I can say that I was gunned at 81in a DH once, and if I have ever gone faster it wasn't by much. To me that is actually faster than I ever really want to go. Terrain just comes up so fast and if something goes wrong you could be so fucked so quickly...
    I am very glad to have never crashed at those speeds (ate shit at speed in a SG once, but I would guess I was about 20mph slower for that).

1 - 22 months was my record.. so, endless, bravo.

2 - The stuck part of your name just.... fits.

3 - The sensation for everyone is different, but things change at speeds like that... some say 65, some say 80, but the idea is the brain stops noticing things on the periphery.

4 - If you weren't doing this speed thing in the Hunta days... don't. That place was perfect to do 70.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

HoF