187 HOJI MOUNT POINT

Anybody have any experience on skiing the 187 Hoji = 1 or -=2 behind the recommended line with a larger bsl
    mine is a 326.

http://mtnguiding.com/media/2017/1/4...adesravens-too

This formula worked well for me w/renegades and ravens.

LOL I just posted this article. HA ! like minds

To funny just did some homework and was about to post above link .
    when i mounted my 15/16 Hojis this info was not yet printed.
    IM on the line now with a 326 bsl and like them there.
    Be interesting to hear from some others that have gone further back with larger bsl.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbcat View Post
    To funny just did some homework and was about to post above link .
    when i mounted my 15/16 Hojis this info was not yet printed.
    IM on the line now with a 326 bsl and like them there.
    Be interesting to hear from some others that have gone further back with larger bsl.
    What's your Metrics? I'm wondering where to mount mine since I'm not even close to HOJI's size. I'm 6'6" and a lean 250 lbs.

I would echo Hoji's take that you want to move a bit back as you get bigger and heavier, but you also have to adjust for your ski style. If you're on a full reverse ski already and are used to skiing center you can be a bit more forward, but if you're a racer-bro on super stiff big-tipped skis you may want them a bit back from optimal so you aren't going over the bars all the time.

At the end of the day, you should just make your best guess then adjust if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    What's your Metrics? I'm wondering where to mount mine since I'm not even close to HOJI's size. I'm 6'6" and a lean 250 lbs.
    You're on the 187 Hoji? Not the 195?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have 2 sets of 195's

^^Sorry, you didn't specify and based on the thread title, I was confused.

To address the OP's question: yeah, I think you can go back from the line 1-2 cm without major issues...if you prefer a less progressive mount point. The ~2012 Ren used to be 88 from tail, but Hoji recommended 87 for touring to make kick turns easier. Some guys who wanted more tip went 86 and had no complaints. I'm 5'11" and 160-165#—so slightly larger than Hoji—and I thought 87 was spot on. I also didn't think there was a huge difference between 88 and 87, like many people posted. If I bought new pair of Rens, I'd mount 87 from the tail. IIRC, we mounted my brother's @ 92 from tail, and that was good. He's 5'11", 190# of muscle (rugby player). But maybe I just like skis mounted -6 from true center?

I honestly don't see how the bsl makes a difference in the mount point, in and of itself. Regardless of bsl, the ball of your foot is still in approximately the same place. For example, if I owned touring boots with a bsl of 28X and alpine boots with a bsl of 30X, I really don't think I'd have to move the mount back 1 cm for the alpine boots to maintain the same feeling of the ski. I think Hoji is generalizing that larger bsl = larger person, who might like the mount moved rearward. But maybe there's something I'm missing.

One more thought: Matt skis the 19X while Hoji skis the 18X. I'd be surprised if Hoji could really speak to the 19X sizes. So it might be a mistake to move rearward on the larger sizes on the assumption that the mount is for someone Hoji's size, rather than assuming the mount is for someone with a very neutral stance who initiates turns from the ball of his foot.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-29-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Listen to part 1 of his podcast interview on Blister. He talks about this for like 5 minutes.

I have mine mounted on the line with inserts - 317 alpine and 305 touring. Going to move the touring boot back ~1cm back (can't move the alpine as no room left) and see if that changes it at all. Swiss cheese, here I come

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    I have 2 sets of 195's
    Neil, I have 196 Renegades and love them on POW days... With that said I have been eyeing the 195 Hoji for some time for a more versatile resort ski..

I am 6'4" and 205 lbs so really would like to hear your thoughts on the Hoji 195...

And to echo Tahoes comments Hoji does a really good job explaining his skis amd mount points...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TGR Forums mobile app

Ive had em at 0 and plus 1. For myself i like them at 0. Super jibby and playful for when things get spinny and they slarve and are insanely nimble when it gets tight. I put 300 plus days on them there so i got used to a very centered and upright stance. Still could charge with my buds on very traditional go fast rocket ships. Im 6 foot 2 and 180lbs, 317mm bsl. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-G920P using TGR Forums mobile app

It's funny, Hoji basically echoes Sage's approach: stand on the ski and mount wherever looks best to you.

photos