Explanation plaques

http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/columbu...nation-plaque/

"Columbus may be getting an asterisk.

Facing mounting criticism of his plan to remove some of the city’s monuments — possibly including the Christopher Columbus statue in Columbus Circle — Mayor de Blasio went to Plan B on Monday.

For the first time, the mayor said that instead of the heave-ho, contested monuments might get plaques that offer explanations of the historical figures they depict."

This may pave the way for Barry Bonds and others at the BB HoF.

Let's meet at * Circle. Then there's the thorny issue of what to call Madison Ave besides * Ave when this effort really gets going.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

We could compromise and replace statues of Columbus with statues of Tony Soprano

Columbus was a despicable person, but it's a little late to put that genie in the bottle. Honestly, the explanation plaque idea is probably the best way forward. And I happen to agree that Bonds should be in the HoF but his plaque should explain all of his career. I would say the same about Roger Clemens, but fuck that guy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Germany has explanation plaques for WWII sites.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens should have to fight each other MMA style and only the winner gets into the HoF

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens should have to fight each other MMA style and only the winner gets into the HoF
    I would pay to see that. And would love watching Clemens get his ass kicked.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Germany has explanation plaques for WWII sites.
    But no actual statues of Rommel.

There's some sense in that.. and the plaques.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

With Pete Rose refereeing (who would he bet on?)
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Columbus was a despicable person, but it's a little late to put that genie in the bottle. Honestly, the explanation plaque idea is probably the best way forward. And I happen to agree that Bonds should be in the HoF but his plaque should explain all of his career. I would say the same about Roger Clemens, but fuck that guy.
    Probably have to * the city of Denver as well as he was Commissioner of Indian Affairs during the relocations. James, not John.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    With Pete Rose refereeing (who would he bet on?)
    Pete just can't help himself. The latest thing about him being involved with an underage girl...

marketing genius you are
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    But no actual statues of Rommel.

There's some sense in that.. and the plaques.
    No but since we do have the statues might as well give some background. Problem is.... who gets to decide what the background will be?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

No but since we do have the statues might as well give some background. Problem is.... who gets to decide what the background will be?
    Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by kim jong un View Post
    Wikipedia
    for $5 you can type in your own version
    watch out for snakes

I've developed an appreciation for the Taliban's destruction of historic sites and statues in the Middle East. I now realize they were only embracing modern sensitivities.

If "chalking" politicians' names on sidewalks sent undergrads and professors literally crying for safe spaces, then this undertaking might just break us as a nation.

Godspeed.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    for $5 you can type in your own version
    Exactly! But I suppose you have to start somewhere. There is no discussion until someone speaks up.

Exactly! But I suppose you have to start somewhere. There is no discussion until someone speaks up.
    Then why do we need to spend taxpayer $ mounting a plaque? Everyone has a phone and unlimited data plans. Click, click, tap. In fact, if everyone did this every time they passed a statue they were offended by, we'd all learn more about history and not be doomed to repeat it all the time.

I was visiting Monjuic Castle in Barcelona--where Franco imprisoned, tortured and executed Loyalists. There is not a sign or plaque anywhere to be seen to explain the significance of the place.

I'm cool with memorials to the Civil War dead on either side. After all we memorialize the Viet Nam war dead and that was a morally questionable war, to put it as gently as I can. Just don't memorialize the generals.

"We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms" M. Knopfler

Explanation plaques

Barry was stronger in the day but the Rog actually has a couple inches on him. My money's on a bloodbath.

I love historical/ explanation plaques here in Vermont. Beautiful cast iron pieces with raised lettering; I'll often stop and read them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Did Roger Clemens kick a puppy or something?
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I love historical/ explanation plaques here in Vermont. Beautiful cast iron pieces with raised lettering; I'll often stop and read them.
    I love these things too; everywhere I've lived.

Growing up I loved reading them along the Erie Canal and imagining the long lost towns and villages that used to be there.

There's a bunch around my neighborhood detailing encampments from the Civil War that I find interesting about what happened on a particular spot long before I got there. My favorites are all over Hilton Head and the surrounding lowcountry, describing forts where you can still see the ruins.

My family outwardly moans when I insist on stopping to read these things whenever I see one.
    I still call it The Jake.

For many years my dad worked with the US Park service to produce story boards. He has done many from the USS Arizona memorial to various parks.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    For many years my dad worked with the US Park service to produce story boards. He has done many from the USS Arizona memorial to various parks.
    Did he make any of the ones that tell people not to fall over the waterfall? If so he wasn't very good at it, because they don't work.