Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking about having a MTB built, need some advice....

So, as I approach my 40th trip around the sun I've decided to its time for a new bike.

I spent a lot of time riding as I was younger, mowed every lawn in the neighborhood for a summer so I could buy a GT Zaskar.. fell out of the sport for a while and just recently have gotten back into riding. I've a got really cool system of trails out my back door and its really motivated me to ride again. Its mellow single track, some dirt roads nothing overly challenging or technical but a fun spot to ride that's perfect for clearing my head pre or post work. Its relaxing and therapeutic as you all know. My current bike is one I bought brand new 13 years ago, its a Rocky Mountain Element and its starting to show its age, plus its time to actually spend some money on myself for a change..

That being said, I am very seriously considering having an Independent Fabrication Steel 29er built for me. Talked to them on the phone today, and will start by filling out the order guide and see where the process takes me.

I gotta be honest, I nervous as fuck that I may get in over my head on this thing. I'm not a racer, never have been, never will be just a guy who likes to ride casually every once in a while. I just want the coolest bike that suits my needs, fits like a glove and keeps me motivated to ride. I don't know the first thing about headsets, BB, Wheels, Forks or any of this shit anymore...

Aside from talking to them where do I start? I started looking at wheelsets, derailleurs all that shit and my head was spinning. (Now I know how someone feels when they want to start fly-fishing).

Any advice on components would be great, I realize its likely a chevy vs. ford argument but it will all be helpful at this point. If you were a weekend warrior New England Rider looking to build what you pick?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sagamoron; 08-28-2017 at 10:53 AM.

I'd stay away from carbon wheels on a hardtail for one.

Lots of good 11speed drivetrain options out there that won't affect your mortgage these days, especially since sram came out with 12sp.

Everyone I know with sram brakes still bitches about them (one sponsored buddy secretly bought some shimanos he's so over them). Shimanos have their own faults though. I've got two sets of formula curas I just bought that so far (a year deep) have been pretty awesome. They're pretty cheap too. If you want to get really blingy, check out some hopes. They're not everywhere but the few people I know with them seem to really like them....and that's on dh bikes.

I'd say more important than most of the components is get your 'fit like a glove' goal met. I'd go down to IF and sit on some bikes. You're paying for a one off, make it count.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Not sure why you'd get a custom built Indy Fab unless you know exactly what you want. They're certainly nice bikes, but if you're coming off of a 13 year old Element, pretty much any decent quality off the shelf bike is going to be a significant step forward. Unless, of course, you care about people at the trailhead thinking your bike is cool, in which case get the IF.

If I was a weekend warrior New England rider, I'd be looking at a ~120mm travel full suspension 29er that wasn't too slack.

There are a ton of options in the world of custom hardtails. Are you only considering IF? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with IF, but for that kind of cash, I'd suggest looking at several options and talking to each of them to decide who suits you the best. Any custom shop worth their salt should be able to answer all your questions, including components. Beyond that, I say get the red one.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

^^ Good advice. If you do that, check out Curtlo and tell Doug that Lo sent you his way. ETA: He can do red

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Not sure why you'd get a custom built Indy Fab unless you know exactly what you want. They're certainly nice bikes, but if you're coming off of a 13 year old Element, pretty much any decent quality off the shelf bike is going to be a significant step forward.
    This. Go demo some stuff.

to quote the Cheshire cat "if you don't know where you are going any road will get you there"

I think he also said something to Alice about going 29 but i can't find the quote
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm going to jump on the 'are you really sure you want a custom bike?' train of thought. There are a lot of great factory bikes out there right now, and the slightly used market is full of deals due to the 'multiple standards that nobody can agree on syndrome'.

And if you aren't going to race, why not go full squish?

Components wise, I'd echo woo's comments, and just add that you can't really go wrong with either of the big guys' groupsets.

If you want the coolest bike out there, get a Sklar.
    Built by my brother in Bozeman.
    http://www.sklarbikes.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/sklarbikes/

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    I was wondering if you were related.
    His bikes are pretty cool, i never get tired of seeing them in my IG feed.

most if not all of the advice given so far is pretty spot on.

Two questions (and there's no wrong answers):
    1, how did you get to a place where you decided a custom was the way to go?
    2, how did you end up at IF as your choice?

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    Saw a custom Sklar locked outside a coffee shop passing through Bozeman and just about wet my pants

Just getting back to this one after traveling all week and enjoying the long weekend.

All really good points, and I do think I need to seriously reconsider the custom route. Just felt like if I was going to be spending a good chunk of change, why not go full custom. And to me a lot of full-suspension bikes I've seen really look like something more suited for serious downhill than what I would need. I certainly need to spend more time educating myself on whats out there and riding a few bikes

Read through the full suspsenion thread and looking to demo a couple of bikes at the local shop over the next few weeks.

onward and upward

Thinking about having a MTB built, need some advice....

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    And if you aren't going to race, why not go full squish?

Slightly off topic but I just don't get this line of thinking. I have both a 29 hardtail and short travel 29 FS. my times both uphill and downhill, racing or just riding are always faster on a full suss. Unless your riding is pure gravel road fs is all around just faster, in my experience.

Fs grips better on climbs and is just less overall wear on the body keeping you fresher for longer.

Anyway, carry on...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Slightly off topic but I just don't get this line of thinking. I have both a 29 hardtail and short travel 29 FS. my times both uphill and downhill, racing or just riding are always faster on a full suss. Unless your riding is pure gravel road fs is all around just faster, in my experience.

Fs grips better on climbs and is just less overall wear on the body keeping you fresher for longer.

Anyway, carry on...

herd this very same argument from a leg shaving, xc & road riding/racing, enginerd buddy about 15 yars ago

apparently ... FS is faster
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sure, I'll buy that.

Back when I was racing, there was this 'purist' idea (or just resistance to change) that hardtails were lighter - and therefore faster - that I assumed still existed.

I get the IF desire, it's a New England thing.

That being said after hitting a local ride in Maine last night that is on the newer side of our trail networks and is already root infested I am reminded I have no desire to ride a hardtail anymore. Cape Cod might be different

Anyway, carry on...

Maybe for the average Joe like us this is true, but it seems like most xc racers are still on carbon 29er hardtails.

For the OP, I think this is solid advice. But I think there are still strong arguments for the hardtail being faster.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Maybe for the average Joe like us this is true, but it seems like most xc racers are still on carbon 29er hardtails.

For the OP, I think this is solid advice. But I think there are still strong arguments for the hardtail being faster.
    Yes. On gravel roads or equivalent.

Yes, when the courses were pretty much all fire road but World Cup xc courses are getting pretty rowdie these days. Hardtail numbers are dwindling.

Yes, when the courses were pretty much all fire road but World Cup xc courses are getting pretty rowdie these days. Hardtail numbers are dwindling.

I suppose my info could be dated. Sounds like that is the case.

The top finishers, and most of the people at the front of the corral at the SM 100 last weekend were on hardtails. I'd guess it's 60/40 trails/gravel road?..with the trails being pretty technical. Not really a roadie race.

It could be different for shorter distance XC races.

There are so many factors to the hardtail vs. FS argument for speed. One of the things to remember is sponsored racers are often riding what the sponsor wants them to ride. That's why if you look closely during a race you'll often see a FS not even sinking into the rear shock, since the racer really wants a hardtail feel for that course.

I ride a SS Ti hardtail 95% of the time because my trails are smoov like buttah, and I don't have a trained mechanic on staff. Actually that mechanic is me, and he's fucking always busy, and never fucking tunes my bike, the asshole. I'm buying a FS right now, cuz I'm riding more lumpy rooty stuff, and I want to sit the fuck down sometimes.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Sounds like we have the same mechanic.

Yeah, I have no idea what works best for the elites. Being a general slouch that almost never races, I think FS is ideal. Lockouts can be used on smooth trail and roads, and turned off for descents or to give the ass a break.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I don't have a trained mechanic on staff. Actually that mechanic is me, and he's fucking always busy, and never fucking tunes my bike, the asshole.
    lol, my 2x10 is a 1x10 right now for that exact same reason.

World cup racers ride either depending on the event, so there are still cases where they pick a hardtail because it will be faster uphill

Personally I'd love a to have FS bike as light as my hardtail but I can't afford it.